BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-31-2020, 12:45 PM   #1
FastDriver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Tow hitch wiring question

I started off reading these threads (Hitch Selection, & S8SL option (E70)), and ordered:
- Reese Hitch (PN: 44590)
- Genuine BMW wiring harness (Part#: 82-71-2-349-500) LINK
- Trailer plug bracket (LINK)

I believe that I misunderstood the meaning of the S8SL option, which my vehicle has, and based on a comment from another user who already had the AAG module in his CPO 35d, I believed that I would have it too. So, when I received these parts, I installed the hitch, bracket, and rear plug, and ran the trailer retrofit harness up into the fuse compartment in the right rear interior of my '14 x35i.

However, when I got to the wiring portion, there was no AAG module in the fuse compartment in the right rear. So, I've stopped there wondering what to do next. One of the comments I missed before was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
The trailer preparation option includes wiring for the controller but not the controller itself.
Therefore, I need to order the AAG module, but I don't see any extra connector in the compartment. Where is this wiring that the S8SL option supposedly brings to the fuse compartment?

I'm guessing that if I order the AAG module there's already some wiring back to that compartment that will make it plug and play, but I'm not sure. So, here are my questions:

- Is this the right module and a good place to order it? LINK or is it this one: LINK2
- Aside from the module and the wiring harness what other parts will I need?
- Aside from connecting the module and harness in the fuse compartment, will I need to do anything forward of the fuse box to properly wire the trailer harness? I found a set of instructions showing wiring that runs forward of the cabin, and I'm not sure if it applies.

I'm just a little worried that I've missed more than just the AAG module and would prefer not to piecemeal the rest of the installation. I am aware that coding is necessary for full interoperability of the vehicles towing options/capabilities. I'll come back to that after I've sorted out the install. Thanks for any help. -Chris

Last edited by FastDriver; 05-31-2020 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
I started off reading these threads (Hitch Selection, & S8SL option (E70)), and ordered:
- Reese Hitch (PN: 44590)
- Genuine BMW wiring harness (Part#: 82-71-2-349-500) LINK
- Trailer plug bracket (LINK)

I believe that I misunderstood the meaning of the S8SL option, which my vehicle has, and based on a comment from another user who already had the AAG module in his CPO 35d, I believed that I would have it too. So, when I received these parts, I installed the hitch, bracket, and rear plug, and ran the trailer retrofit harness up into the fuse compartment in the right rear interior of my '14 x35i.

However, when I got to the wiring portion, there was no AAG module in the fuse compartment in the right rear. So, I've stopped there wondering what to do next. One of the comments I missed before was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
The trailer preparation option includes wiring for the controller but not the controller itself.
Therefore, I need to order the AAG module, but I don't see any extra connector in the compartment. Where is this wiring that the S8SL option supposedly brings to the fuse compartment?

I'm guessing that if I order the AAG module there's already some wiring back to that compartment that will make it plug and play, but I'm not sure. So, here are my questions:

- Is this the right module and a good place to order it? LINK or is it this one: LINK2
- Aside from the module and the wiring harness what other parts will I need?
- Aside from connecting the module and harness in the fuse compartment, will I need to do anything forward of the fuse box to properly wire the trailer harness? I found a set of instructions showing wiring that runs forward of the cabin, and I'm not sure if it applies.

I'm just a little worried that I've missed more than just the AAG module and would prefer not to piecemeal the rest of the installation. I am aware that coding is necessary for full interoperability of the vehicles towing options/capabilities. I'll come back to that after I've sorted out the install. Thanks for any help. -Chris
All I needed was the harness and the module. The harness should have the connector to plug into the module.

Also I ordered the one from ecs.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
FastDriver
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you! I noticed upon rereading that you went through the same process. So, I appreciate your comment.

Would you mind pointing me to the general location of the connector that you're referring to?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
In the picture on turner Motorsports it's the front connector.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 04:14 AM   #5
FastDriver
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
All I needed was the harness and the module. The harness should have the connector to plug into the module.

Also I ordered the one from ecs.
After taking a closer look, the module in link1 appears to be a replacement for the one in link2. Also, there's a wait until September on that part and it's probably out of oroduction anyways. So, I put the first one on order.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 04:19 AM   #6
FastDriver
Enlisted Member
Rep

So, is there a connection in the fuse compartment that's run from the vehicle's powertrain control module? I'm looking for the vehicle side connector, not the wiring harness side.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 06:43 AM   #7
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
So, is there a connection in the fuse compartment that's run from the vehicle's powertrain control module? I'm looking for the vehicle side connector, not the wiring harness side.
It's all in the instructions. There is a connector behind the fuse box. You have to release that connector and take it apart. The red/yellow wire plugs into pin 8, the yellow/black plugs into pin 21

There are also 3 brown wires with a ring connector, you need to remove the nut ahead of the fuse box and put those wires on the bolt. You can't miss it since there are other brown wires there.

On the back of the fuse box, there are 4 wires you need to plug into various places, a red, red/blue, red/purple and one more. Someone will have to provide you a picture because I don't remember the PIN numbers

There are also about 3 or 4 plugs that plug into the AAG module and the module clips into the plastic holder in the rear compartment
      06-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #8
FastDriver
Enlisted Member
Rep

Installed the wiring harness, today. Everything went fine. Took a couple hours, as I took my time and was careful since I am not great with electronic work. The BMW directions leave a bit to be desired. Primarily, it was hard to find the canbus connector that is supposed to connect to the trailer wiring harness from the main harness. Fortunately, I found the Stealth Hitches "Active wiring harness" installation instructions with a picture that helped me figure it out. After that, it wasn't too bad.

The wiring harness is connected, now. I'm getting a "Trailer Electrical Connection" warning. I think this is normal until it's coded. Stealth suggested contacting Okee for the coding. What's a fair price to pay for the coding, and do I need any special hardware to do it? Any other recommended coder?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #9
X Mon™
Reads books at a 4th grade level; I'm an enabler
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, 335i Msport, X3, 325iX

Garage List
You'll at the least need a OBD2 to Ethernet Cable, a working laptop, Teamviewer or the like, and someone who can work with ESys remotely. I have no clue what Okee charges, as I did the coding myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 01:31 AM   #10
FastDriver
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks, as CodeMyCar.com isn't responding to calls to the number provided, I'm looking for other options. I might end up doing it myself, ugh... Ordered a cable from Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:36 AM   #11
raabsin513
Rep
Drives: e30 325ic, e30 325is, F15 35d

Why did he order an E70 hitch for his F15?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #12
vetaldj
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Hi order correct one for F15, he was just using that forum for reference. I also ordered same and it was provided as a valid unit when you choose F15.

And, as a matter of fact, it shows it works for E70 as well:

List of compatibility:
2007 BMW X5 All, Except M Sport Package
2008 BMW X5 All, Except M Sport Package
2009 BMW X5 All, Except M Sport Package
2010 BMW X5 All, Except M Sport Package
2011 BMW X5 All, Except M Sport Package
2012 BMW X5 All, Except M Sport Package
2013 BMW X5 All, Except M Sport Package
2014 BMW X5 All, Except M Sport Package
2015 BMW X5 All, Except M Sport Package
2016 BMW X5 All, Except M Sport Package