BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-08-2021, 07:28 AM   #67
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
While there are so many understandable incentives to debate "why BMW chose to make certain decisions", a multi billion dollar corporation has substantial legal resources to at their disposal to determine what will actions will prevail in court.
This doesn't speak highly of BMW. What you're saying is a calculation was made and they are socking away money for a legal defense they believe they can win on the come they can keep the money in their pocket instead of spending some of it to help customers. They could have been ready with a package that makes your option 2 a transaction at a dealer where they handle all the VIN and IMEI registration crap. But they didn't. So somebody should sue and make them spend it.

BMW had a choice. Serve their customers or serve themselves. I think as long as customers look the other way and make excuses for them, they'll keep doing it.
Dang dude… you are really upset.

I already talked to some lawyer friends and they told me they believe I do not have a case. It would have to be on safety, not technology as technology is ever evolving. You are more than welcome to seek legal counsel and see what they say since you believe they should be sued.

This need to be played with facts and common sense, not feelings. I do not think anyone here is making excuses for BMW for everyone affected by this is just as upset about their decision.. but to think they did not involve their legal team and made the decision on the fly is just silly.

Better idea would be to flood BMWNA with adequately written letters to reconsider their decision as we all know it can be done, and at least meet their customer halfway on this. I believe trying to change their answer vs a lawsuit might have more of a chance of working.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 07:40 AM   #68
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhjr1957 View Post
Wow, I happen to stumble upon this thread!!! so glad I did; I will be setting up an appointment next week for my upgrade, lol
Lol alas you clearly didn't read the thread though.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #69
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
- Retrofit NBT Evo head unit with CarPlay - approx. $1.2K USD - and get the benefit of Google Maps, Waze - minus SOS call feature
How does replacing an NBT HU with an NBT EVO HU solve the problem of a disconnected car? Unless I'm missing something, this requires running Google/Apple Maps/Waze whatever sucking the life out of your phone's battery and LTE data plan for all the time you're in the car.

Not even running Carplay, I tested this idea using Google and Apple Maps on 30 minute trips and my phone was extremely hot at the end and had actually lost a percentage of charge in spite of being plugged in.

That's your 3rd option?
Your complaint doesn't exactly hold weight as a majority of people don't even use oem navigation these days in favor of google maps and waze. With Apple car play available and wireless I wouldn't even spec a oem navigation system. But you are forced to if you want any semblance of an audio system or other tech features they lump it with.

Also sounds like you need a better charger system. I assume you're using the oem USB port? Unfortunately that hasn't been viable as a charging solution in at least 2 iPhones if not 3. Especially if you are using it while transiting. However, I have a magasafe hooked up to my 2020 M5 oem USB port and it charges my 12 pro max on road trips while using car play no problem. I also don't have 5G turned on because it's a scam and doesn't do anything but drain your battery lol. Minus UW of course but I've never seen that signal and don't expect to for a decade.

With that all said, you are correct. This is not a straight substitute for CD. Waze and google maps don't solve that.

Plus you could just add a $400 wireless apple car play unit and utilize all your oem stuff. Much cheaper and easier than EVO upgrade.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #70
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
I already talked to some lawyer friends and they told me they believe I do not have a case. It would have to be on safety, not technology as technology is ever evolving. ... everyone affected by this is just as upset about their decision.. but to think they did not involve their legal team and made the decision on the fly is just silly.
Good to know someone has been down the legal route. I'm only 150 posts into "The Thread" so maybe behind there. I've always thought a suit would be on safety. Turning us off without providing a path to get on 4G makes us distracted drivers juggling cellphones. But I don't think I ever said anything to imply they didn't consult legal. In fact they did and decided to risk a legal challenge over doing something to help customers.

Quote:
Better idea would be to flood BMWNA with adequately written letters to reconsider their decision as we all know it can be done, and at least meet their customer halfway on this. I believe trying to change their answer vs a lawsuit might have more of a chance of working.
I hear plenty of drivers here excusing BMW and denigrating with a different opinion or those of us who know how good the OEM navi actually is. Not you but others. I've made the call and filed a complaint with a statement they've made my car unsafe and excoriated the car's value. I'd love to do more. Got an email address, VP name or other means to raise a fuss? TIA
      08-08-2021, 11:48 AM   #71
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I already talked to some lawyer friends and they told me they believe I do not have a case. It would have to be on safety, not technology as technology is ever evolving. ... everyone affected by this is just as upset about their decision.. but to think they did not involve their legal team and made the decision on the fly is just silly.
Good to know someone has been down the legal route. I'm only 150 posts into "The Thread" so maybe behind there. I've always thought a suit would be on safety. Turning us off without providing a path to get on 4G makes us distracted drivers juggling cellphones. But I don't think I ever said anything to imply they didn't consult legal. In fact they did and decided to risk a legal challenge over doing something to help customers.

Quote:
I hear plenty of drivers here excusing BMW and denigrating with a different opinion or those of us who know how good the OEM navi actually is. Not you but others. I've made the call and filed a complaint with a statement they've made my car unsafe and excoriated the car's value. I'd love to do more. Got an email address, VP name or other means to raise a fuss? TIA
No, I don't have a way of contacting them other than by phone or email like everyone else.

I did look up the CEO and was trying to contact him over FB (I found him) but then I thought that would be too creepy hahaha
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #72
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Your complaint doesn't exactly hold weight as a majority of people don't even use oem navigation these days in favor of google maps and waze. With Apple car play available and wireless I wouldn't even spec a oem navigation system. But you are forced to if you want any semblance of an audio system or other tech features they lump it with.
I recognize this is your opinion but I'm not inclined to participate in a fruitless argument over it. I simply disagree and appreciate the efforts of this community to help those of us trying to come up with solutions that work for us.

Quote:
Also sounds like you need a better charger system. I assume you're using the oem USB port? Unfortunately that hasn't been viable as a charging solution in at least 2 iPhones if not 3. Especially if you are using it while transiting.
This is great news. I was beginning to suspect that is the case instead of assuming BMW did a stand up job engineering it. Can I assume the same lack of power in the snap-in adapter in the armrest? What about the cigarette lighter? TIA

Quote:
With that all said, you are correct. This is not a straight substitute for CD. Waze and google maps don't solve that.

Plus you could just add a $400 wireless apple car play unit and utilize all your oem stuff. Much cheaper and easier than EVO upgrade.
My first choice is to go with an MMI Carplay once I am convinced it's not going to burn up my phone. Thanks for the info.
      08-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #73
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sebastian Mackensen will succeed Bernhard Kuhnt as CEO for BMW of North America.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 04:35 PM   #74
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Quote:
I recognize this is your opinion but I'm not inclined to participate in a fruitless argument over it. I simply disagree and appreciate the efforts of this community to help those of us trying to come up with solutions that work for us.

Quote:
Also sounds like you need a better charger system. I assume you're using the oem USB port? Unfortunately that hasn't been viable as a charging solution in at least 2 iPhones if not 3. Especially if you are using it while transiting.
This is great news. I was beginning to suspect that is the case instead of assuming BMW did a stand up job engineering it. Can I assume the same lack of power in the snap-in adapter in the armrest? What about the cigarette lighter? TIA

Quote:

My first choice is to go with an MMI Carplay once I am convinced it's not going to burn up my phone. Thanks for the info.
MMI CarPlay does not work for hud and cluster. Moreover, if you want voice commands you have to listen via aux, loosing all benefits of your harman kardon or bang&olufson.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #75
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ya cig lighter is just a 12v system. I run a QC3 usb c to a MagSafe adapter connected to a pro clip in my wife's X5. Charges just like at home.

Now with that said…I use a standard usb a to usb c and connect that to the same MagSafe and pro clip in my M5 and that works just as well. So not sure what kind of wattage mu M5 puts out but it seems to be enough.

I also run an aftermarket android unit in my wife's X. Oem in the M5. Phone does great. Just took the X down to FL in July. No issues with battery or over heating etc.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 01:35 PM   #76
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

A standard USB port (like the one X5 has in the center console) provides 5V and approx 1A.
Modern phones require quick charging, and that means up to 22V and up to 5A, that a normal USB port can never provide.

Can we get back ontopic please?
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #77
pedrob007
Rep
Drives: 430d

great info

Some great info guys , like being back at school
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #78
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d 15/X2 28i 18/MC Conv 06

Have just come across and read this article on this 3G shutdown.

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20210329...system-in-2022

I think the issue is more serious for automakers than we think. They didn't learn the lesson from 2G to 3G a decade ago, and now do the same again from 3G to 4G/LTE/5G.
I'm not surprised class action law suit is coming if they choose to do nothing.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 09:27 PM   #79
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
Have just come across and read this article on this 3G shutdown.

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20210329...system-in-2022

I think the issue is more serious for automakers than we think. They didn't learn the lesson from 2G to 3G a decade ago, and now do the same again from 3G to 4G/LTE/5G.
I'm not surprised class action law suit is coming if they choose to do nothing.
Nothing will happen. 100%. All those features are optional. I spoke with genius from BMW yesterday. Some auto makers do not offer even half of those remote services.
If you want it back - get a new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #80
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d 15/X2 28i 18/MC Conv 06

Tesla offers retrofits for its 3G Model S:

https://teslanorth.com/2021/07/16/te...hutdown-looms/
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #81
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
Tesla offers retrofits for its 3G Model S:

https://teslanorth.com/2021/07/16/te...hutdown-looms/
The problem here cellular connection is key for Tesla. Not sure how you can use it without network connection. That's why they work to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #82
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Imagine trying to buy parts to update a 6 year old phone. Technology evolves fast nowadays. I think best thing to do is update the display to Android. Heck I think I tried the navigation once on my x5, and yes it's cool to have it on the HUD. But Google maps is far superior.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 03:31 PM   #83
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
Imagine trying to buy parts to update a 6 year old phone. Technology evolves fast nowadays. I think best thing to do is update the display to Android. Heck I think I tried the navigation once on my x5, and yes it's cool to have it on the HUD. But Google maps is far superior.
All true, but you can share location from google maps to your car via My BMW. Annoying but works and you get the best of both worlds.

Granted, when 3G is out I'll get the MMI to get Apple CarPlay. But before that - naaaaah, can't be bothered. Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed and when the time comes, I'll pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 09:33 PM   #84
aschmidt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Every BMW dealer has received standard guidance and text to be used when a customer asks about a vehicle not eligible for a technology upgrade.

If the goal is to retain OEM SOS and teleservices, the only option is to order a newer ATM module, while BMW parts system shows that this module is still valid for your vehicle's VIN. Once the module has been purchased (it will be provisioned with your vehicle's VIN), then you can purchase NBT Evo head unit, wiring loom, and install all three components. It's best to find a qualified shop in the area.

I am also working with an engineer who plans to offer a complete package:

- NBT Evo head unit with original VIN flashed
- Wire loom
- Working ATM with original VIN (the more complex effort since a new ATM has to be purchased)
- All components will be bench tested together including verifying that Connected Drive services will work. This a major plus. I will have to supply a temporary userid / password combination

This effort is still in progress.
Sorry to ask or should I call BMW SA - how to find out if my 2017 X15 F15 has 4G LTE or not that can be upgraded for newer connecteddrive/SOS/vehicle recovery?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 12:19 AM   #85
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschmidt View Post
Sorry to ask or should I call BMW SA - how to find out if my 2017 X15 F15 has 4G LTE or not that can be upgraded for newer connecteddrive/SOS/vehicle recovery?
You are in the wrong thread.

Read over here…

AT&T 3G Shutdown https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1743924

And 👆🏽thread above is dead. After you read it and get your info, you can come back to this one you are on.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 11:49 AM   #86
solidsnake227
Rep
Drives: G30 540iX 2019 F01 740i 2015

Telematics Control unit TCB US 4G 8410683677

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/3...#post-13592087
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 02:17 PM   #87
Xolinlevh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake227 View Post
Telematics Control unit TCB US 4G 8410683677

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/3...#post-13592087
This is good info….Im really not experienced enough to tell, but does this mean we can just buy the new unit and swap it in, and have the dealer program it? It’s that simple hardware wise?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 02:43 PM   #88
solidsnake227
Rep
Drives: G30 540iX 2019 F01 740i 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xolinlevh View Post
This is good info….Im really not experienced enough to tell, but does this mean we can just buy the new unit and swap it in, and have the dealer program it? It’s that simple hardware wise?
This still not yet clear as I still show that I have the 3g symbol when I use the online serves. even the unit I upgraded was 4g unit!
Appreciate 0