BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-29-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 YMB F80

2016 GLE 63S vs 2015 BMW X5M

My wife is looking for a new SUV and just wanted to get some thoughts over here regarding these 2 choices. I know there's a bias here but I went to benzworld and that forum is a total joke. There's nothing in there!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 02:57 AM   #2
Inablur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silber Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roychimac View Post
My wife is looking for a new SUV and just wanted to get some thoughts over here regarding these 2 choices. I know there's a bias here but I went to benzworld and that forum is a total joke. There's nothing in there!
Agree on benzworld and other MB forums being a joke. Though I heart some AMG products like the new C63 & S63 coupes I think Bimmer X5/X6 Ms take the cake.

Edit: This thread is in the wrong section lol. I thing the Xbimmers sub forum would be a better place.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 05:28 AM   #3
major one
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 750i x-drive; 16 g550

x6m ftw
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

X5M looks like garbage and drives like it too.

If you have the money, Cayenne Turbo S is the easy pick over both. It's still the performance benchmark of this segment, which is sad for the M SUV and AMG seeing as the current generation of the Cayenne at the end of its life cycle and the other two are brand new. Just shows they are about a generation behind.
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfEightyM3 View Post
X5M looks like garbage and drives like it too.

If you have the money, Cayenne Turbo S is the easy pick over both. It's still the performance benchmark of this segment, which is sad for the M SUV and AMG seeing as the current generation of the Cayenne at the end of its life cycle and the other two are brand new. Just shows they are about a generation behind.
As usual, you are way off base. The previous generation X5M bested the current generation Cayenne Turbo and previous generation Cayenne Turbo S in separate tests. Have you ever even driven them to be able to make such a statement? And the new X5M is even faster. It's silly for you to criticize the looks of the X5M when the Cayenne looks like a bloated toad.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...on-test-review

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 6
      08-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
As usual, you are way off base. The previous generation X5M bested the current generation Cayenne Turbo and previous generation Cayenne Turbo S in separate tests. Have you ever even driven them to be able to make such a statement? And the new X5M is even faster. It's silly for you to criticize the looks of the X5M when the Cayenne looks like a bloated toad.

You beat me to it. The '15 X5 M is faster, out-handles, and brakes better than the '14 red pepper.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I certainly have driven them both. I have never liked the X5M. It drives like a big truck compared to the Cayenne. And to boot, its quality was seriously lacking in comparison.

First off, the face lifted Cayenne turbo S is now out and it's even faster too. And on top of that, it is still the old generation vs a brand new X5M and the Cayenne turbo S still will be performance King.

Let's look at the results shall we. The Cayenne turbo S is the car to compare, not the turbo based on hp.

Braking, the Cayenne turbo S was quicker to stop by 4 ft. WIN
Handling/Grip Cayenne turbo S pulled a .91 vs .89 for the X5M. WIN
Lane Change Cayenne Turbo S was almost 3 mph faster, which is HUGE. WIN
Trap speed, both the same at 112 mph. Same weight and power so makes sense.
0-130 mph the Cayenne Turbo S was .3 seconds faster and would only continue to pull away.

So where exactly did the X5M win? Oh yea, in price because people who buy an X5M don't have the money to buy a Cayenne turbo S.

Here's an Autozeitung test where the x5m lost to the base turbo but with power kit, which is basically the turbo S.

http://www.**************.com/thread...e-turbo.44395/

The x5M got killed in every category and was 3 seconds slower on track. That's embarrassing...

Test conclusion: Cayenne turbo - Best engine, best performance. Enough said.

Last edited by EfEightyM3; 08-30-2015 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
You beat me to it. The '15 X5 M is faster, out-handles, and brakes better than the '14 red pepper.
Really?

http://www.**************.com/thread...e-turbo.44395/

Can you look at that test and tell me which was faster to 200 kph? Which had the faster lane change and which was 3 seconds faster on track? Let's throw in braking while we are at it.

BTW the 2015 Cayenne Turbo S is even faster than the '14. It won't be beaten by the X5M. You'll see when they do a comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #9
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-s-test-review
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review

Hmmm....
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #10
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep

Did you even look at them?

Only one of those has the turbo S and if you look at the stats, the turbo S beat it in just about all. Handling, grip, braking, straight line. X5M is just cheap for those who cannot afford a turbo S.

Why don't you look at this?

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...fleetest-1.pdf

I'll summarize the results again below:

0-130 mph the Cayenne Turbo S was .3 seconds faster and would only continue to pull away. WIN

So where exactly is the X5M winning in performance vs a turbo S? Autozeigtung also proved the turbo S in on another planet as far as how much faster it is on track vs the X5M. 3 Seconds on a sub 1:45 lap is a lifetime.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Did you even look at them?

Only one of those has the turbo S and if you look at the stats, the turbo S beat it in just about all. Handling, grip, braking, straight line. X5M is just cheap for those who cannot afford a turbo S.

Why don't you look at this?

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...fleetest-1.pdf

I'll summarize the results again below:

0-130 mph the Cayenne Turbo S was .3 seconds faster and would only continue to pull away. WIN

So where exactly is the X5M winning in performance vs a turbo S? We also saw on track, its the Cayenne turbo S by a lifetime.
To say that the X5M drives like garbage is a ridiculous statement. It doesn't at all drive like a truck as you claim, and even if the Cayenne Turbo S ekes out a slight advantage in certain metrics, comparisons have universally found the overall driving dynamics of the X5M to be superior. Oh, and an optioned Cayenne Turbo S costs almost twice as much. For that price, it should be a LOT better. It isn't.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 4
      08-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #12
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
To say that the X5M drives like garbage is a ridiculous statement. It doesn't at all drive like a truck as you claim, and even if the Cayenne Turbo S ekes out a slight advantage in certain metrics, comparisons have universally found the overall driving dynamics of the X5M to be superior. Oh, and an optioned Cayenne Turbo S costs almost twice as much. For that price, it should be a LOT better. It isn't.

BTW - the test with the turbo S was the old turbo S vs what was the the time a new X5M...just before the new Cayenne model got released...and again proving BMW is abut a generation behind in the SUV segment.

I posted an autozeitung test of the 2012 turbo w/powerkit vs 2012 X5M and the Cayenne was the superior car in EVERY way, shape or form. 2.6 faster to 124 mph and 3 seconds faster on track are not eeking out anything, those are annihilating figures. Universally, the Cayenne is also always said to be superior in driving dynamics. A cayenne that turns, brakes, is faster and grips better is all about dynamics and there it is superior.

We all know price and performance have very little correlation so that is a moot point.

Last edited by EfEightyM3; 08-30-2015 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #13
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

I would get the X5M if you can get a deal on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #14
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
BTW - the test with the turbo S was the old turbo S vs what was the the time a new X5M...just before the new Cayenne model got released...and again proving BMW is abut a generation behind in the SUV segment.

I posted an autozeitung test of the 2012 turbo w/powerkit vs 2012 X5M and the Cayenne was the superior car in EVERY way, shape or form. 2.6 faster to 124 mph and 3 seconds faster on track are not eeking out anything, those are annihilating figures. Universally, the Cayenne is also always said to be superior in driving dynamics. A cayenne that turns, brakes, is faster and grips better is all about dynamics and there it is superior.

We all know price and performance have very little correlation so that is a moot point.
And how much faster would the X5M be if BMW injected twice as much capital into its development and charged twice as much like they do with the Cayenne?

Even with a chip and non-runflat tires, the X5M would be faster than the top of the line Cayenne Turbo S at a steep discount.

Anyway, this post wasn't about the Cayenne. Stop bringing up Porsche in every single thread. Isn't that what got you banned the last few times?
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #15
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

The styling on the Benz is much cleaner and pleasant looking. BMW messed up their cars. The new X5/X6-X5M/X6M look terrible. WTF were they thinking with all those openings and the awkward placement of the fog lights? The headlights going into the grill(same mistake on the 3-4 series)I liked the previous model MUCH more. I'll give the BMW the edge in interior styling even though its the same old look. My favorite was the previous model X6M
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #16
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Not sure what the bottom end pricing is on the cayenne turbo s but the one they had at the auto show was sniffing $200k... Which makes it not even comparable. For what it's worth I think the new x5m is a dairy in person and the interior is stellar. I'd be tempted if I were OP to wait for the grand Cherokee track hawk and buy another car as well all for the same price.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #17
jesm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911S 2018

X5M

EfeightyM3,

Really not trying to put on you the spot but.....why are you so bitter towards the BMW brand????
What are you getting after the M3? I agree with some of your points...specially on the electric steering feel....but it seems you are really upset towards BMW...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #18
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roychimac
Not sure what wrong with some people on this thread. The new X5M is a great choice. If I were in the market for an SUV, that in Donnington Grey and the red interior is tough to beat. And yes, it beat the Cayenne Turbo S in the recent Car and Driver comparo.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #19
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

op is not comparing the cayenne.

not sure about the mb styling, vs the x5m. which one speaks to you more that you would give it a 2nd look once you park it?

performance wise, it's probably not going to make a difference.

actually since you already own a x6m, y not mix it up and get the mb?

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 02:26 PM   #20
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesm View Post
EfeightyM3,

Really not trying to put on you the spot but.....why are you so bitter towards the BMW brand????
What are you getting after the M3? I agree with some of your points...specially on the electric steering feel....but it seems you are really upset towards BMW...
To me it just sounds like someone working for Porsche or a connected company and that he feel threatened by BMW to such an extent that every comment need to be about how BMW sucks and how Porsche rules the universe. It's a waste of time IMO since pretty much everyone here seem to respect and desire Porsches and few will argue that in most cases their cars are faster. They bloody well should be, a lot faster being a performance brand first and charging near twice of the BMWs they are being compared with...

I don't know much about the GLE63 but the X5M is pretty cool. And since I've always felt more comfortable in BMWs the Benzs and then throw in the free maintaince of this big complex beast and it would be an easy choice for me on paper.

Last edited by solstice; 08-30-2015 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #21
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesm View Post
EfeightyM3,

I used to love M products. I felt they were the best alternative to owning the higher end stuff like Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin etc.
I just really was disappointed with the F80 M3. I was glad I made $7K on the car when I sold it though.

Quote:
And how much faster would the X5M be if BMW injected twice as much capital into its development and charged twice as much like they do with the Cayenne?

Even with a chip and non-runflat tires, the X5M would be faster than the top of the line Cayenne Turbo S at a steep discount.

Anyway, this post wasn't about the Cayenne. Stop bringing up Porsche in every single thread. Isn't that what got you banned the last few times?
Actually, Porrsche puts the least amount of R&D into the turbo and turbo S models. I would be willing to bet BMW puts FAR more R&D into the X5M and yet they still are quite far apart as far as 2012 models were concerned. Im sure the 2015's will be no different, and if anything Porsche will pull further ahead since they added power and the new turbo S is lighter too.

Also remember that Porsche doesn't sell many turbo or turbo S models, so that is partly why they are so expensive.

Again, there is no direct correlation to price and performance. There it comes down to exclusivity, quality, brand etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
To me it just sounds like someone working for Porsche or a connected company and that he feel threatened by BMW to such an extent that every comment need to be about how BMW sucks and how Porsche rules the universe. It's a waste of time IMO since pretty much everyone here seem to respect and desire Porsches and few will argue that in most cases their cars are faster. They bloody well should be, a lot faster being a performance brand first and charging near twice of the BMWs they are being compared with...
BMW threatening one of the elite, upper echelon of car makers...don't think so...not in the least bit.

I have always been a big M division fan. I always felt they gave you a great car that provided great value and has something special about them that you could only do better by moving up into a higher end car. I just do not like their current offerings. I have owned A LOT of BMWs, and A LOT of M cars (both could be said of my family as well) so your hypothesis even come close to being matter of fact.
Most people here do aspire to take the step up into a Porsche as they are the performance and handling benchmark in the world of performance cars.

As I've said, price and performance have little to do with one another. Same reason why a Civic R beat the M4 around the track for 1/3 of the price, or why a Mustang at 30K can match a 70K M3/4, or why Porsche's entry level 911 beats the snot out of an M4 at the track despite having a huge disadvantage in power and tq.

BTW - you do realize the "free" maintenance is included in the price right? SMH

Last edited by EfEightyM3; 08-30-2015 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #22
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post

I don't know much about the GLE63 but the X5M is pretty cool. And since I've always felt more comfortable in BMWs the Benzs and then throw in the free maintaince of this big complex beast and it would be an easy choice for me on paper.
You guys do realize that this is the same guy that posted under Revcrazy and WolfinWolthsclothing until he was banned, correct? I will give it 30 more days and this screen name will be banned. He is the biggest Pcar nutswinger out there.......including Rennlist and 6Speed. It's comical as hell actually.

Funny thing is, he said he bought a 991 and yet still feels the need to hang out on a BMW board. What a life.................. or lack thereof
Appreciate 3