BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #45
withrow79
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6m

I am the proud new owner of a used 2016 X6m, my first BMW... I almost wrecked it at 3 mph on my 2nd day of owning it because it did not have a "park" button... Or more accurately, I thought the "P" switch actually put it in "Park" when it didn't actually fully set the parking brake...

I pulled up to a Walgreens drive-through window to pick up a script for my wife (because my 9 and 11 yr old boys were with me in dad's new car). I pulled up to the window, couldn't figure out how to put the car in park (as I would normally do in this situation with any other car I have owned in the last ~25 yrs). Eventually I pulled up the "P" button and saw the nice red "P" with a circle around it light up red, so I thought it was in "Park" or at a minimum, thought the Parking brake was "set". There was no attendant there, so I put down my window to lean out to push the call button. When I leaned out of the window, my foot accidentally tapped the gas pedal and my car lunged forward and just missed scraping the wall which was ~12 inches to my left...

So even if your Parking brake is set, it will immediately go "off" if you touch the gas pedal. Maybe a convenience for stop and start traffic, but certainly not intuitive when you think a parking brake is actually "Set" or for any situation where you would actually want to put your car in "Park" without actually shutting the car off.

I found this thread trying to learn how to actually put my car "Park". I think the nugget I learned that is to do this you have to open the door, then re-shut it. Seems a bit asinine to me, if the car actually "can" be put in "Park", why not just have a park button...? My car has like 10 other buttons immediately near the screen control knob, what's one more...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #46
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by withrow79 View Post

So even if your Parking brake is set, it will immediately go "off" if you touch the gas pedal. Maybe a convenience for stop and start traffic, but certainly not intuitive when you think a parking brake is actually "Set" or for any situation where you would actually want to put your car in "Park" without actually shutting the car off.
My X5M is getting built this week, and I will admit that I found the parking to be odd during my test drive. Everyone says you get used to it, but it is odd. More worried about my wife than me, as she was kind of iffy on getting the vehicle to start with, and she doesn't like change.

With that said, wouldn't the protocol be to put the car in neutral and then pull up the parking brake? What you did was essentially engage the emergency brake with the car in drive then gassed it if I'm tracking. That would cause any car to move forward....albeit at a slower than normal speed since the brake was one. But maybe I'm misunderstanding the sequence of events?
Appreciate 1
WI_Rob93.50
      02-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #47
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post
My X5M is getting built this week, and I will admit that I found the parking to be odd during my test drive. Everyone says you get used to it, but it is odd. More worried about my wife than me, as she was kind of iffy on getting the vehicle to start with, and she doesn't like change.

With that said, wouldn't the protocol be to put the car in neutral and then pull up the parking brake? What you did was essentially engage the emergency brake with the car in drive then gassed it if I'm tracking. That would cause any car to move forward....albeit at a slower than normal speed since the brake was one. But maybe I'm misunderstanding the sequence of events?

That will work. You can also open the door and it will go into park. Next gen will have a P button based on the new M5.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #48
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

When I park my car in neutral with parking brake on just to jump out for a second to do whatever, upon my return I put the car back in drive with parking brake still on, the vehicle will not budge if I hit the gas. A warning comes on and tells me the parking brake is on. Withrow79, I don't understand how that could have happened to you. Maybe your parking brake is not working properly.

Last edited by secretariat; 02-23-2018 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #49
withrow79
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post
Yes, that would be the normal protocol... But this was literally the 2nd time I had ever driven the car and the first time I tried to put it in "Park". On my old Infiniti FX50s, I would simply move the gear shifter up to "P" and voila, the car was now in Park... I "thought", that pulling the little lever back that had a "P" with a circle on it actually put the car in "Park", so my intuition was "not" to put the car in neutral first. Now I know that there is no way to put the car in "Park" without shutting it off (or apparently opening the door which I have yet to try). It took a Google search to find this Forum and this thread to learn that there wasn't actually a simple "Park" button on this beast.

And regarding hitting the gas with a normal car with a parking brake engaged... If you pull a manual Parking brake lever, and then hit the gas, yes it might try to go nudge forward, but it takes a pretty large press of the gas pedal to overcome the parking brake and actually move the forward with any speed. I'm telling you I barely touched the gas and my Parking brake was no longer engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
When I park my car in neutral with parking brake on just to jump out for a second to do whatever, upon my return I put the car back in drive with parking brake still on, the vehicle will not budge if I hit the gas. A warning comes on and tells me the parking brake is on. Withrow79, I don't understand how that could have happened to you. Maybe your parking brake is not working properly.
hmmmm... I'll have to test this out again tonight and maybe take it back to the dealer to have them check to see if my parking brake is actually working the way it was designed to. I'm pretty sure mine went off when I touched the gas. It would make a lot more sense if it worked the way you describe.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #50
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
If you switch to N and engage the parking brake, it will not get released after you switch back to D. If you stay in D, pull the parking brake, and then tap the gas pedal, the parking brake will release unless you are standing on uneven surface - at least this has been my experience to date.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 10:52 AM   #51
kimi_fan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' X5M/91' 325i

Garage List
2017 X5M  [0.00]
2014 X5 50i MSport  [0.00]
2011 X5 35i SA  [0.00]
2007 X3 3.0si  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
2003 330Ci  [0.00]
1991 325ic  [0.00]
My X5M rolled away from me today

Backed the car up about 10 feet so I could get to something in front of it in the garage - shut it off as I normally do and the car shows it is in park - didn't set the emergency brake. About 5 minutes later I hear a slight click, look back, and the car is starting to roll away. Luckily there was something nearby that stopped it, but now I need a new rear bumper. Anyone else ever have this issue?

I'm taking to the dealer just in case, but it seems like the car really didn't put itself into park - and no warnings about malfunctions, no "the car is in neutral" message - and seemed to happen when the electronic shut down after 5 minutes or so.
(past) 11' X5 35i SA - Black Saph
(past) 07' X3 3.0si MSport
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #52
apatel89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 M

If you take your seat belt on and open the door while the car is in drive and or neutral while its on itll automatically go to park.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #53
kimi_fan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 X5M  [0.00]
2011 X5 35i SA  [0.00]
2007 X3 3.0si  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
2003 330Ci  [0.00]
1991 325ic  [0.00]
Yea, but in my case I had the car in reverse when it was turned off which should put it in park. The dash told me it was in park, I got out and shut the door. The garage has a slight grade to it so water doesn't pool, and if the car were in neutral when I got out it would have rolled immediately. In my case it was somewhere are 3-5 minutes later when I heard a click and the car started to roll.

I called BMWNA as well to see if this is an issue - if I hear anything from them I'll post it here - but for now she's going to sit in the garage until I take it in for service on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 02:37 PM   #54
Hammmerhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Its seems BMW really doesn't want the car running without a butt in the seat, hence just a couple of models have remote start. Geez, I think '16 was the first year they actually put a door lock/unlock button on the door itself after years and years of complaints. It seems they're coming around. Hopefully remote start will follow with the new platform.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #55
Alicja17
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

2013 528i emergency parking release

Car was in an accident, starts, but transmission is always in park and would not switch. Is there an emergency release, to change the gear to neutral for towing purpose? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #56
pvr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicja17 View Post
Car was in an accident, starts, but transmission is always in park and would not switch. Is there an emergency release, to change the gear to neutral for towing purpose? Thank you.
4WD cars should never be towed even in neutral.
Abarth 595 Comp
Golf Clipper
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #57
kimi_fan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 X5M  [0.00]
2011 X5 35i SA  [0.00]
2007 X3 3.0si  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
2003 330Ci  [0.00]
1991 325ic  [0.00]
If this really is for a 528i then I think you may be posting in the wrong forum.

That being said, there is a procedure for cars that have no power that involves crawling under the car (or lifting it), removing the shielding around the transmission, and tightening a screw to put the transmission into neutral following an accident.

Besides that, if the car starts then try putting into neutral twice and then holding it in neutral for 5-10 seconds - it should put the car into "tow mode" which unlocks the transmission for 15 minutes - at least that used to be the procedure for cars that start but won't shift into gear or neutral.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #58
kimi_fan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 X5M  [0.00]
2011 X5 35i SA  [0.00]
2007 X3 3.0si  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
2003 330Ci  [0.00]
1991 325ic  [0.00]
So, BMWNA examined the car and didn't find anything mechanically wrong with the car. I can't rule out user error in this case - seems the data dump from the car only tells you the date/time the car was last put into "car wash" mode, or neutral with the engine off, and it only keeps a counter of the number of times it has been placed into that mode. Unfortunately, I tested the car after it rolled (about an hour later) and that's the last time stamp for the computer, erasing the prior timestamp.

Also, for anyone wondering, if you get tapped in the back and you break the mounts inside the bumper that hold the parking sensors you're going to need a whole new bumper. Parts ~$1700, labor ~$700.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 06:47 PM   #59
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimi_fan View Post
My X5M rolled away from me today

Backed the car up about 10 feet so I could get to something in front of it in the garage - shut it off as I normally do and the car shows it is in park - didn't set the emergency brake. About 5 minutes later I hear a slight click, look back, and the car is starting to roll away. Luckily there was something nearby that stopped it, but now I need a new rear bumper. Anyone else ever have this issue?

I'm taking to the dealer just in case, but it seems like the car really didn't put itself into park - and no warnings about malfunctions, no "the car is in neutral" message - and seemed to happen when the electronic shut down after 5 minutes or so.
Moral of this story is... Whenever you park, you should ALWAYS set your parking brake. It is there EXACTLY for the situation that happened to you.
      04-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #60
pvr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Only thing with the parking brake is that they can fail on the BMW (well, looking at the number of threads on the E70 forum though). On my E70, I have always put the car in P in the garage (is flat) and no parking brake to avoid the seizing issue.

On the M, I have noticed when you switch the car off in gear, it shows the P on the display, so I guess they must have slightly changed it then. Car is only 2 days old.
Abarth 595 Comp
Golf Clipper
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 11:51 PM   #61
F85_Evan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5M

good to know as I take delivery of mine this week
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #62
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by F85_Evan View Post
good to know as I take delivery of mine this week
You'll be fine. You're gonna be so worried about breaking shit and scratching stuff you'll check the parking brake 818272726272 times. That's what I did. I also kept auto hold on until I mastered parking.

Now I leave the auto hold on when the wife drives which is very rarely.
      02-06-2023, 12:10 AM   #63
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 205 C63S, AMG GT-R

Sorry about reviving an old thread! I was searching for this as this is my first ‘m’. I agree, once you figure it out, it’s fine.

There’s a couple issues that i’m mentioning just for the sake of mentioning because i doubt engineers are looking at this post of mine, and i’m sure they have their reasons for why it is what it is.

If i give the car to my dad to drive, say to run an errand, or if his car is not available (who’s very healthy but elderly, not tech savy), theni worry about issues. I don’t need to get into what issues i worry about. Y’all are smart, you can come up with them. So, i’ve written a sticky for him.

There’s a little button above the parking brake button (above=towards the back). As we all know, it sets the brake automatically. How about if i turn that on, then the profile remembers my selection? Problem solved. I understand perhaps unneccesary wear on the parking brake motor but, so what? That’s what you get… lol

I’ve looked at the coding sheet. Do not see this as being a programmable option. That would be cool. As ron would say, set it and forget it!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 09:08 PM   #64
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

What you are talking about is the Auto-hold function. Not sure what function you are trying to achieve with this.

It is designed to apply the brakes when you come to a complete stop and let them go when you start to accelerate. It is does not apply the parking brake to the car. It more design to stop you from rolling backwards if you accidently let go of the brake or don't press the accelerator fast enough to start moving.

ALSO FYI, if you having been driving, come to a complete stop engage the PARKING BRAKE and then you accidently hit the accelerator with the car still in D/manual. The parking brake WILL Auto Disengage and the car WILL launch forward. The Parking brake will NOT hold the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 02:27 AM   #65
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 205 C63S, AMG GT-R

Yes, thanks. I think it’s a pretty fool proof system. It’s just that i am not used to not having a ‘park’ gear. It can be called something else, but it ought to be a gear that, when engaged, no amount of brake or throttle input will put the car in a moving gear.

The folks at bmw are pro; it’s not their first rodeo. There has to be a really good reason for why this has been done.

It’s a great car. This is a minor issue and not for me. Just need to spend a few min with the g/f or pops if they get in the car to get them up to speed.

Btw chilled. I sent you a PM and replied to your reply on the folding mirror thread. Reply back when you have time. I’m going to go ahead with the coding
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 03:07 AM   #66
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

There is no fool proof park mode on the //M. The only way to put it into a park mode that will not get cancelled by the accelerator is to
  1. Turn the car off
  2. Take off seatbelt, open door, foot off brake, whilst in drive (the car thinks you are getting out and will shift into P
Appreciate 0