Originally Posted by bmwerdna View Post
Why are Cayenne's so expensive anyway?
Brand power.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 05:49 PM   #47
theseeker
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M, 2015 SLS, 2015 S550

Oddly enough, while driving home on the freeway this afternoon a SRT began taunting me, bad idea. I was going about 75mph when this began and I literally walked away from him. There was not a great deal of traffic and I decided to go all out. I let off at 140 and he was far behind.
I doubt that he will ever mess with an X5M again and I am very impressed with how the M feels at high speed. Once the Dinan stage I goes in next week, the M will be faster than my SLS!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 05:53 PM   #48
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwerdna View Post
Why are Cayenne's so expensive anyway?
Have you sat in one?

While the current model is due for a refresh, the materials of the Cayenne Turbo I sat in were incredible.

It just felt like money in there. As nice as the X5M interior is, it just isn't the same.

Add to this the brand power Porsche has and it's no wonder really.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 05:58 PM   #49
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
Have you sat in one?

While the current model is due for a refresh, the materials of the Cayenne Turbo I sat in were incredible.

It just felt like money in there. As nice as the X5M interior is, it just isn't the same.

Add to this the brand power Porsche has and it's no wonder really.
I cross shopped the Cayenne Turbo S with the X5 M, and when my husband and I sat in the cayenne, we looked at one another, and said, "Wow, Porsche really needs to up their game on their interiors!" We walked away and said we weren't interested in living with such a lousy interior, and were shocked Porsche wasn't severely embarrassed to ask what they do for a car that is so not up to the task.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #50
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

The Porsche brand is the only thing selling Cayennes imo. they look just like their vw counterparts from the outside...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #51
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Well if you don't have to have the quickest SUV or do any off-roading, the "Audi" Macan S or Turbo can provide great rides. I think they drive better on the road than any of the above. Cheap because are just Porschefied Audis, but Porsche did a great job on improving interior, drivetrain, brakes and chassis...Of course, I like smaller vehicles, which might be a problem for some.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 05:46 AM   #52
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastelid View Post
Too bad it is still a Jeep in the end. ugly outside, probably ugly inside. Totally personal opinion of course!

I am also not interested in paying that much for a Jeep.
Blacksad, you need to chill with that. After all, BMW doesn't have anything that can compete with the Wrangler. And BMW wish that they could have a sales success like it in their range.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #53
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I cross shopped the Cayenne Turbo S with the X5 M, and when my husband and I sat in the cayenne, we looked at one another, and said, "Wow, Porsche really needs to up their game on their interiors!" We walked away and said we weren't interested in living with such a lousy interior, and were shocked Porsche wasn't severely embarrassed to ask what they do for a car that is so not up to the task.
I thought the exact opposite. The Cayenne, especially with full leather is covered from head to toe in leather and alcantara of the highest quality. Bmw felt very cheap in comparison. I also find the cayenne design to be far more appealing as well, but that's a subjective thing. There is a reason why Porsche can sell for what they do and part of that is the materials used. Also they have great dependability and realiability. Once these were dominated by Japanese and to a certain extent still are except Porsche continues to evolve and outdo them much of the time.
The video in the First post was proof that even though the cayenne is now at the end of its generational cycle, it's still a drivers race with the Newer more powerful x5m and I do recall the Cayenne holds the record on the Nordshliefe N'Ring for fastest SUV time at under 8 mins which is very impressive that it's beating many sports cars and sports sedans.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #54
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
I thought the exact opposite. The Cayenne, especially with full leather is covered from head to toe in leather and alcantara of the highest quality. Bmw felt very cheap in comparison. I also find the cayenne design to be far more appealing as well, but that's a subjective thing. There is a reason why Porsche can sell for what they do and part of that is the materials used. Also they have great dependability and realiability. Once these were dominated by Japanese and to a certain extent still are except Porsche continues to evolve and outdo them much of the time.
Having sued VW/Audi/Porsche under lemon laws for almost every one of their cars we've ever owned, and having won all of those cases, I would give you a very very different story on quality, with numerous concrete examples. Having been through those cases, and learning what their mother company, VW is like, how they cut corners, costs, etc. across ALL divisions, Porsche included, I have a view of them few others do.

I disagree with the interiors. The BMW is covered in leather, at least mine is with full leather, the Porsche had so many gimmicky things all over the interior, plastic buttons up the wazoo. I could have melted them down and supplied my nephews with new plastic toys until they were 18 years old.

I won't deny that Porsche is appealing to some, just as Aston Martin is, despite their horrible reliability, same goes for Range Rover, again with their reliability, but they sell truck loads of them.. Everyone looks for something different in a vehicle, and thank goodness there is a large variety out there from which to choose, but if comparing vehicle to vehicle, brand aside, the X5 M trumps the Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #55
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Having sued VW/Audi/Porsche under lemon laws for almost every one of their cars we've ever owned, and having won all of those cases, I would give you a very very different story on quality, with numerous concrete examples. Having been through those cases, and learning what their mother company, VW is like, how they cut corners, costs, etc. across ALL divisions, Porsche included, I have a view of them few others do.

I disagree with the interiors. The BMW is covered in leather, at least mine is with full leather, the Porsche had so many gimmicky things all over the interior, plastic buttons up the wazoo. I could have melted them down and supplied my nephews with new plastic toys until they were 18 years old.

I won't deny that Porsche is appealing to some, just as Aston Martin is, despite their horrible reliability, same goes for Range Rover, again with their reliability, but they sell truck loads of them.. Everyone looks for something different in a vehicle, and thank goodness there is a large variety out there from which to choose, but if comparing vehicle to vehicle, brand aside, the X5 M trumps the Cayenne.
We will have to agree to disagree as I have seen, again, the exact opposite of what you have. Bmw cuts A LOT of corners which is why their reliability and quality generally rank rather low and Porsche on the opposite of that spectrum. And full leather in a Cayenne has a bit more leather and higher quality leather too, not to mention much more alcantara and more expansive too.
Ive owned my fair share of both and can say there has been an overwhelming difference in quality which favors Porsche from every angle.
I think every review has also noted how much more opulent the interior of the cayenne is over the x5.
Just for purposes of this. 2015 rankings of dependability and initial car quality Porsche ranked 6th, and 1st. Bmw ranked 19th and 6th. And were you to go back, those only continue in that fashion for about as long as the study has been done. Bmw generally isn't much better than industry average for quality whereas Porsche is the bar.
As long as you enjoy your car that's all that matters. No car company is perfect in all aspects.

Last edited by Motorsportenterprise; 02-22-2016 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #56
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

This is really good for shits & giggles
      02-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #57
technik330
Captain
Rep
Drives: STi

Quote:

Bitter much?
'18 Subaru STi Type RA #350
'19 Honda Civic Type R #31191
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #58
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technik330 View Post
Bitter much?
Actually, no, because each time the cars were bought back, and our attorney fees paid, except one time, where they gave me a new car, which I gladly drove, still wrapped in plastic, from the delivery dealership, to another dealership, where I traded it in with 5 miles on the clock for a completely different brand. I don't work, thankfully I have that little luxury in life, so spending time in court, or with attorneys wasn't an issue.

What was frustrating, though, was having a $100k+ car spend 196 days in the shop in one year, another car eat a quart and a half of oil every 700 miles, a different car's adaptive steering either drive you into a brick wall (did happen) or almost hit people, because it wouldn't work right. It would either way oversteer, or just plain not turn the wheels at all. A regional rep took that particular car, and returned less than five minutes later saying I couldn't have it back, because it was too dangerous to drive.

As I said, everyone looks for something different in cars. My unique set of experiences has given me my particular set of vantage points. I do not care for the Porsche interior, it has way too many buttons, some of them pretty darn gimmicky in design, that's not a unique complaint to me, in fact, it's a fairly common one. I spend an awful lot of money on leather products, including fine clothing, furniture, etc. so I think I can safely say I can tell decent leather from crap leather. The Porsche leather was of no better quality than the leather covering the interior of my X5 M, or the 750i I just had today. All were equally as soft, supple, naturally textured, and well cut/stitched.

To me, the difference is in how the companies operate. Having dealt with VW/Audi/Porsche I do not like their approach, or how they handle issues when they arise. BMW has always been helpful, and willing to go the extra distance, and to me, that shows they are the company that deserves my money.

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 02-22-2016 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 08:39 AM   #59
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Actually, no, because each time the cars were bought back, and our attorney fees paid, except one time, where they gave me a new car, which I gladly drove, still wrapped in plastic, from the delivery dealership, to another dealership, where I traded it in with 5 miles on the clock for a completely different brand. I don't work, thankfully I have that little luxury in life, so spending time in court, or with attorneys wasn't an issue.

What was frustrating, though, was having a $100k+ car spend 196 days in the shop in one year, another car eat a quart and a half of oil every 700 miles, a different car's adaptive steering either drive you into a brick wall (did happen) or almost hit people, because it wouldn't work right. It would either way oversteer, or just plain not turn the wheels at all. A regional rep took that particular car, and returned less than five minutes later saying I couldn't have it back, because it was too dangerous to drive.

As I said, everyone looks for something different in cars. My unique set of experiences has given me my particular set of vantage points. I do not care for the Porsche interior, it has way too many buttons, some of them pretty darn gimmicky in design, that's not a unique complaint to me, in fact, it's a fairly common one. I spend an awful lot of money on leather products, including fine clothing, furniture, etc. so I think I can safely say I can tell decent leather from crap leather. The Porsche leather was of no better quality than the leather covering the interior of my X5 M, or the 750i I just had today. All were equally as soft, supple, naturally textured, and well cut/stitched.

To me, the difference is in how the companies operate. Having dealt with VW/Audi/Porsche I do not like their approach, or how they handle issues when they arise. BMW has always been helpful, and willing to go the extra distance, and to me, that shows they are the company that deserves my money.
Won't argue any further since we are so very far off on reality.

I think what sounds disturbing about your post if you seem to think bmw does no wrong when in fact I can name many individuals, myself included who have owned many, and even more including family, that have has issues with bmw from severe to minor habitual things. I have always found Porsche's reputation beyond reproach (and personally have been bulletproof in my ownership of nearly every model) and bmw to be reputable for the most part but their cars are not made with the same level of care, materials or engineering from my experience. To add to that, my family, until recently sold owned several car dealerships, and did own those in discussion and the differences in nearly everything were as vast as can be and not anywhere near what you're slandering them to be. There is a reason Porsche has the heritage and prestige (that bmw never will) as a brand that no one besides Ferrari can match and is universally a pinnacle of engineering. If anything, Ferrari is a brand who doesn't quite make the quality products they'd like you to believe...but that's a discussion for another time and place.
I own both, but I'd much rather give more for the Porsche product any time because I know it's more deserving in any way, shape or form.

Last edited by Motorsportenterprise; 02-23-2016 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #60
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
Won't argue any further since we are so very far off on reality.

I think what sounds disturbing about your post if you seem to think bmw does no wrong when in fact I can name many individuals, myself included who have owned many, and even more including family, that have has issues with bmw from severe to minor habitual things. I have always found Porsche's reputation beyond reproach (and personally have been bulletproof in my ownership of nearly every model) and bmw to be reputable for the most part but their cars are not made with the same level of care, materials or engineering from my experience. To add to that, my family, until recently sold owned several car dealerships, and did own those in discussion and the differences in nearly everything were as vast as can be and not anywhere near what you're slandering them to be. There is a reason Porsche has the heritage and prestige (that bmw never will) as a brand that no one besides Ferrari can match and is universally a pinnacle of engineering. If anything, Ferrari is a brand who doesn't quite make the quality products they'd like you to believe...but that's a discussion for another time and place.
I own both, but I'd much rather give more for the Porsche product any time because I know it's more deserving in any way, shape or form.
As I have said, numerous times, my particular set of experiences provide me with my vantage point. I am simply stating what I have learned through my experiences, of which I have several files more than an inch thick each. I have never said BMW has done no wrong, simply they have not done me wrong. In every post I have commented that everyone looks for something different in a vehicle, and thankfully there are a lot of choices out there to choose from. If you think Porsche is beyond reproach, delve further into their inner workings, my friend, at their heart they are a VW company. What I find disturbing in yours, and some other's posts, is that you are so unwilling to listen to criticism of Porsche/VW. I posted what I did so some could see they aren't the glimmering beacon of wonderfulness you all portend them to be. My trust fund is heavily involved in cars, so I know more than people give me credit for. I'll leave this discussion with that.

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 02-23-2016 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #61
critical_mass
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by technik330 View Post
Bitter much?
As a huge fan and owner of Porsches, they do have some shady business practices/ethics and questionable reliability on their cars. I find BMW easier to deal with than Porsche. Porsche finds ways to limit production and drive up prices by producing "limited editions" cars to a "limited" and "selected" few individuals (i.e., VIP 918 owners). Take a look at the 991 GT3RS fiasco. Sell cars to 918 owners who in turn leased them for a few weeks/months then sold them back to the dealers for profit and in turn the dealers marked them up over $100K. F them for doing so; they really alienated enthusiast such as myself. They are slowing becoming the German Ferrari.

http://priceonomics.com/porsche-the-...lso-made-cars/
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #62
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotichamster View Post
As a huge fan and owner of Porsches, they do have some shady business practices/ethics and questionable reliability on their cars. I find BMW easier to deal with than Porsche. Porsche finds ways to limit production and drive up prices by producing "limited editions" cars to a "limited" and "selected" few individuals (i.e., VIP 918 owners). Take a look at the 991 GT3RS fiasco. Sell cars to 918 owners who in turn leased them for a few weeks/months then sold them back to the dealers for profit and in turn the dealers marked them up over $100K. F them for doing so; they really alienated enthusiast such as myself. They are slowing becoming the German Ferrari.

http://priceonomics.com/porsche-the-...lso-made-cars/
I don't see this as being shady/unethical/etc at all. I know people who own 918s and I think they should certainly be able to get first pick of the other GT and limited car runs as people who had repeat and valued customers.
Again, statistics and hard data show there are few better if any better built cars for quality and realiability. My experiences concur. That isn't to say car companies don't have issues. Nearly every M car has had significant issues since about 2001 and bmw has acknowledged very few (rod bearings on several cars, abysmally made subframes, oil problems on the v10 m5/6, smg and DCT issues).
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #63
atg4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastelid View Post
The Porsche brand is the only thing selling Cayennes imo. they look just like their vw counterparts from the outside...
I totally agree. Except they're much more expensive. I think the Audi SQ5 is a good balance for the VW SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #64
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Is it just me or does anyone else think this is what it would look like if a Cherokee and a Cayenne had a baby?

http://coolmaterial.com/rides/maserati-levante/
      02-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #65
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else think this is what it would look like if a Cherokee and a Cayenne had a baby?

http://coolmaterial.com/rides/maserati-levante/
It's funny, when I saw that online the other day, I thought, "when did Infiniti redesign the old Fx 35/new QX 70?!" That's before I saw the trident, and realized what I saw was a Maserati! That's what it resembles to me, anyway. Needless to say, the design was a letdown.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #66
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Ok, two people, two different opinions... We get it - let's move on.