BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #1
18BMWX5
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

255/50/19 Tires

Hello,

I will be purchasing my first new set of tires for my X5. I am moving away from the squared Pirelli RFTs. I live in North Eastern PA and need an all season (big storm already last Sunday). I am torn between the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 Plus and the Conti DWS 06. Obviously I will be ordering some type of Mobility Kit over the holiday as well. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
Picasso
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18BMWX5 View Post
Hello,

I will be purchasing my first new set of tires for my X5. I am moving away from the squared Pirelli RFTs. I live in North Eastern PA and need an all season (big storm already last Sunday). I am torn between the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 Plus and the Conti DWS 06. Obviously I will be ordering some type of Mobility Kit over the holiday as well. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
I have DWS06 for last 27k miles and no complaints, other than you have to be careful in real winter conditions: like any amount of snow that is more than minimal, steep snowy uphills or God forbid ice - in that case you'll quickly realize why dedicated winter tires are preferred in many parts of US and Canada. Other than that I would recommend DWS06 without a doubt - it's a perfect blend of price/quality and I would say it's a "jack of all trade" (but master of none) tire - which is exactly what one needs for general all season use IMHO.

That been said, Michelin is a bit better tire in terms of handling and performance if that's what you prefer. Here's comparison: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=216
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
gravines
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35D

Both are great choices. I live in Northeast Pa. as well...within the city limits. I run a far less superior tire and do just fine with my f15 x5 35d. Amazing vehicle in winter conditions. However, if you live in the Poconos or any of the rural areas. Running a winter set up would be best.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 12:05 AM   #4
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

I have the DWS 06 on my 35d.
Work well here in Northern California with numerous trips up into the Sierras snow and sub zero temps.
I agree with what others have said re. the need for a dedicated winter wheel setup for where you live.
Good luck.
      11-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I had the Conti's on another car I owned and the ride and performance was great - but I felt their life was not great. For the price I didn't bitch, but when I went to reorder I went back to a Michelin. I had a set get almost 70,000 once and have always been a big Michelin fan. I just put a set of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my 18" wheels and so far they are super quiet and ride great. But this is not my "performance" car and ride and mud/snow performance are more important to me than cornering.

I had these on my old work horse Explorer and they were the perfect blend of ride comfort and snow performance to me. I do not live in a 7 feet of snow a year region though - so I only have to handle the occasional 5-10" dumps here and there to get in/out my mile long neighborhood private drive safely.
      11-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

I recently went with the Contis. Very good tire for the money and all we should need in No VA. For Michelins we would have had to go N-Spec due to M stagger and not worth $400 more IMHO.

As noted neither of these are snow tires. I wouldn't drive on either one in true snow conditions.
      11-29-2019, 07:13 PM   #7
18BMWX5
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Thank you for all of the great feedback! I will be ordering a set of the Continentals through Sam's Club this weekend. I also just ordered a Mobility Kit from one of sponsors (GetBMWParts).

Happy Thanksgiving all,
Appreciate 1
Picasso37.00
      11-30-2019, 01:48 AM   #8
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18BMWX5 View Post
Thank you for all of the great feedback! I will be ordering a set of the Continentals through Sam's Club this weekend. I also just ordered a Mobility Kit from one of sponsors (GetBMWParts).

Happy Thanksgiving all,
Let the forum know how they work out for you once you’ve rolled up 20 or 30k miles.

Happy holidays to all.