BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

06-17-2023, 03:32 PM   #1
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Question for Users of ISTA and/or ICOM Regarding Vehicle I-Level

Quick question for the collective. I've been using an older version of ISTA for awhile now with success on all of my cars. Went to use it on the F15 today as I am replacing the DEF transfer pump and got an unable to identify error. The ISTA/ICOM setup still works fine on both my E61s, and I assume my E53.

During my last visit with the F15 to the dealer they did the EGR recall and replaced the diesel particulate sensor under extended emissions warranty. During that process they also updated the I-level of the vehicle according to the service paperwork. Could that update to the I-level now make my older version of ISTA unable to communicate with the vehicle? I'm suspecting it can/does... but wanted to check with the forum before embarking to find a new version and install it. The other thought was that I just need to update the Daten files for EDIABAS...

BTW: I am using 4.14.14.17050

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 05:51 PM   #2
Tomcat_F15_STL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

A new ISTA preconfigured on an SSD is $100-200 on FleaBay.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 07:51 PM   #3
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

You can download it for free if you search.
Maybe need to update files
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 10:40 PM   #4
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post

During my last visit with the F15 to the dealer they did the EGR recall and replaced the diesel particulate sensor under extended emissions warranty. During that process they also updated the I-level of the vehicle according to the service paperwork...
Do you mind sharing the invoice (u can PM it to me) if the programming was covered by warranty? Blank your personal details as needed. I had the sensor replaced recently as well but got charged $$ for programming - and shop supplies for that, sic!- which obviously left me very unhappy.

P.S. I-level shouldn't affect ISTA connection, although I'm guessing if ICOM is a no-name clone, it could be the cause.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 10:38 AM   #5
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat_F15_STL View Post
A new ISTA preconfigured on an SSD is $100-200 on FleaBay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
You can download it for free if you search.
Maybe need to update files
Yeah, not particularly worried about finding a copy of it. Was just curious if anyone knew whether out of date Daten files (or old copy of ISTA/Rheingold) could cause the no identify issue. It reads the voltages for KL 15 and KL 30 fine just can't ID the vehicle.

Also, the setup works fine on our E61s and assume it will work with my E53 as well but haven't tried. Only tested on the E61s to make sure the ICOM (clone) and ISTA install were still working fine. Both E61s complete full identify/diag tree with no issues.

Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Do you mind sharing the invoice (u can PM it to me) if the programming was covered by warranty? Blank your personal details as needed. I had the sensor replaced recently as well but got charged $$ for programming - and shop supplies for that, sic!- which obviously left me very unhappy.

P.S. I-level shouldn't affect ISTA connection, although I'm guessing if ICOM is a no-name clone, it could be the cause.
I left the paperwork at the dealer like an moron. I had the family with me and they were pulling me 3 different directions so I left it on a table. When I visit there next I'll see if I can get a reprint for you. I bet you were unhappy...

Well the setup still works fine on our other Bimmers and used to work on the F15... so something they did must have affected it. I'll do some more research and update here. I'm leaning towards needing new Daten files ATM.

Edit: After locating the updated Daten files I realized the F15 doesn't have them... it's only for older chassis. Going to update my ISTA-D to ISTA+ and see how that goes...

Last edited by crystalworks; 06-19-2023 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0