BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #1
oma3710
Major
Rep
Drives: ?

BM3 stage 2

I plan to use my X5 to tow a boat and feel like I could use a little more power. I know its recommended to replace downpipe. What happens if I don't? I for sure will replace the charge pipe and intake. Will it cause any issues if I dont replace downpipe?
SOLD! 435i- Cary Jordan E30 Tune~ Dinan Turbo~ BM3 trans tune~ XDI-35~ 3.5 T-map sensor~ VRSF HD FMIC~ VRSF Chargepipe~ VRSF Catless Downpipe~ CTS Intake~ FTP boost pipe~ FTP intake inlet~ FTP oil catch can~ Turbosmart dual bov~
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
JaviDrama
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oma3710 View Post
I plan to use my X5 to tow a boat and feel like I could use a little more power. I know its recommended to replace downpipe. What happens if I don't? I for sure will replace the charge pipe and intake. Will it cause any issues if I dont replace downpipe?
Quote:

If you are not going to replace the downpipe then you should stay with stage 1. If you want stage 2 but don't want to go catless try a high flow catted downpipe. Stage to needs more flow on the exhaust side that's why it's required to change downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
oma3710
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaviDrama View Post
Quote:
Quote:

If you are not going to replace the downpipe then you should stay with stage 1. If you want stage 2 but don't want to go catless try a high flow catted downpipe. Stage to needs more flow on the exhaust side that's why it's required to change downpipe.
Is stage 1 a noticeable difference? And if I go stage 2 is charge pipe required as well as downpipe?
SOLD! 435i- Cary Jordan E30 Tune~ Dinan Turbo~ BM3 trans tune~ XDI-35~ 3.5 T-map sensor~ VRSF HD FMIC~ VRSF Chargepipe~ VRSF Catless Downpipe~ CTS Intake~ FTP boost pipe~ FTP intake inlet~ FTP oil catch can~ Turbosmart dual bov~
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 03:30 AM   #4
JaviDrama
Private
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is stage 1 a noticeable difference? And if I go stage 2 is charge pipe required as well as downpipe?
So I originally went stage 1 91oct. The. Stage 2 91 oct and am currently at stage 2 93 oct and you definitely feel night and day at stage 2 93 oct. it's noticeable at stage 1 91 oct though. Once you buy the initial it only cost $50 to get the rest of the OTC maps and you can flash as much as you want. I'll be putting it on the dyno in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 05:56 AM   #5
oma3710
Major
Rep

Quote:
So I originally went stage 1 91oct. The. Stage 2 91 oct and am currently at stage 2 93 oct and you definitely feel night and day at stage 2 93 oct. it's noticeable at stage 1 91 oct though. Once you buy the initial it only cost $50 to get the rest of the OTC maps and you can flash as much as you want. I'll be putting it on the dyno in a few weeks.
Last night I read that some x5 were having issues tuning due to bmw upgrading software. Is this still the case?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 01:46 AM   #6
JaviDrama
Private
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Last night I read that some x5 were having issues tuning due to bmw upgrading software. Is this still the case?
I believe that's only with the post June 2019 G05 vehicles. But I also haven't taken mine in for service since I do all my own work.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #7
Yo_Holle
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i E46 M3 Cabrio

Quote:
How big was the jump between stage 1 and stage 2?

Also if I buy Stage 1 and the map pack does stage 2 come with it?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
JaviDrama
Private
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo_Holle View Post
Quote:
How big was the jump between stage 1 and stage 2?

Also if I buy Stage 1 and the map pack does stage 2 come with it?
Between stage 1 and stage 2 is scary. My hp gauge easily hits over 400hp. Like i said still waiting on dyno. With stage 1 you might get like the 340hp range depending on what you have done in bolt ons and fuel. Yes the map pack comes with all OTS maps. And their is a trans flash just to remove torque limits. So you'll have all stage 1 and stage 2 maps with different fuel types.
Appreciate 0