BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
Ozam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 (e90)

Ventilated Multi-contour Seat question

I recently purchased a new F15 to replace my 2007 E70 4.8. FWIW, the E70 was my worse car ever.......there was never a question of if it would break, only when! I finally gave up when the dealer told me it needed another $6-8k of repairs. So I love almost everything about the F15. The drive quality (both in terms of smoothness and quietness) is so much better.

The only two things I do not like about the F15 are the electronic power steeling (which just is not even close to the previous hydraulic version in terms of road feedback) and the multi-contour seats.

For those who have the ventilated multi-contour seats in Dakota leather do you hear a crinkle underneath the leather when you push on them.....almost like some sort of wrapper? Also, do you find the seats comfortable? I can't tell if it is excessively raised seams, the sharpness of the perforations, or the leather itself, but I spent two five hour drives unsuccessfully trying to find a comfortable setup! I had the exact same seats in the E70 and they were remarkably comfortable, but these for whatever reason are just not the same.

Last edited by Ozam; 07-24-2014 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

I've got the multi-contour / sport seats in my F15, but they are non-ventilated (heat only). What do you find uncomfortable about them? Too firm? The width? I admit it did take me a few weeks to find the 'perfect' setting, but now that I have...they are very comfortable. I've done a two road trips in the vehicle already, and on one we spent over 8 hours in the vehicle per day, no issues on my end.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
Tommyvee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5, 2016 M3

I have the Ventilated Multi-contour seats but with Nappa leather, I haven't experienced the "crinkling" sound but I do feel the raised seams. I wouldn't say the raised seams are uncomfortable though.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604
I've got the multi-contour / sport seats in my F15, but they are non-ventilated (heat only). What do you find uncomfortable about them? Too firm? The width? I admit it did take me a few weeks to find the 'perfect' setting, but now that I have...they are very comfortable. I've done a two road trips in the vehicle already, and on one we spent over 8 hours in the vehicle per day, no issues on my end.
i see what you did there...well played!

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
TarHawk
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
I have the black Dakota leather with multi contour and ventilated seats.

When I read your post, I didn't think my seats made any noise so I went out to see, just to make sure. Sitting in them I didn't notice anything. When I got out of the seat and pushed down with my hand, I did notice a crinkling sound. I guess my brain just assumed it was my pants rubbing on the leather.

Now I am going to notice it from now on, so thanks for that! Haha.

Is yours really noticeable when you are sitting on them or moving around?

Overall I find the seats pretty comfortable but I am comparing to an Audi S5 with aggressive bucket seats. I don't find the ventilation to be that noticeable. In hindsight, probably would not have paid for the upgraded seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

My $.02 - the ventilated version is more firm and seems to have less padding in the horizontal portion of the seat. The non-ventilated multi-contour have a bit more padding.

I have the non-ventilated multi-contour in my 2012 X5 and consider them a must have. I was going to do ventilated for my 2015, as Florida gets a bit warm, but I opted to stick with non-ventilated after a test drive. Didn't care for the feel on the ventilated as much.
      07-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
Ozam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the replies (and sorry to make you aware of the crinkling sound!). I tried to have the F15 ventilation coded to improve its usefulness but BMW is making coding more difficult by adding additional layers of encryption. At this point it was not possible.

All I can do is hope the seats "break in." What a disappointment given the extreme comfort of the exact same seats in the E70.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:24 PM   #8
pinstripe1
Rep
Drives: Future X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozam View Post
Thanks for the replies (and sorry to make you aware of the crinkling sound!). I tried to have the F15 ventilation coded to improve its usefulness but BMW is making coding more difficult by adding additional layers of encryption. At this point it was not possible.

All I can do is hope the seats "break in." What a disappointment given the extreme comfort of the exact same seats in the E70.
What do you mean by additional encryption? Seems like a number of board members have done this code.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #9
Ozam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Coding of ventilation seems to work for non F15s, but on my May production vehicle, there was no way to access the settings. My coder (with tons of experience) showed me how BMW was making things even more difficult to change settings.

If someone knows differently I would love to know!
Appreciate 0