BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-15-2021, 11:34 PM   #1
Snowbird'sX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 40e

2016 X5 40e high voltage battery replaced under warranty

First time posting and just want to share my experience as there’s not much information on the 40e.
Car has 75,000 miles and one hot summer day while cruising on the freeway, when I tapped on the brake the dreaded drivetrain malfunction comes on and high voltage system is shut down running on gas only mode. AC won’t work as it’s power by the high voltage system. Car in limp mode and warning of restart not possibe. Drove to a safe area and tried restart and it is back to normal. It will happen occasionally when step on the brake.

Used bimmerlink and found “21F124: Cell voltage - tolerance exceeded upper voltage limit in module 3”. Dropped off at dealer and was billed one hour labor for diagnostic 185/hr, few days later got a call from my SA that further diagnostic is needed and need me to authorize 10 hour labor as they been directed by BMW field tech to disassemble the high voltage battery and has to test each individual cell module . Was told that all will be cover by the high voltage warranty IF it turn out it’s the battery issue. Authorized the diagnostic as there are no other options.

Got called few days later and was told BMW NA has authorized the replacement of the whole high voltage battery under warranty. Parts are oversea so it ended up taking 5 weeks to get it replaced. Was only getting 9 miles on pure electric. Now is 17.
Just glad it all worked out.
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2021, 08:06 AM   #2
c00lbeans
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5 40e

Yikes. Glad it worked out. Thanks for posting I'm sure this info will def help someone out.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 10:36 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Ditto...thanks for the update. I'm sure it will help someone else in the future...if not right now.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 01:14 PM   #4
j.maldo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e iperformance

Even though my 40e is still low millage this is great info to have. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 10:56 PM   #5
Tony72
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 40E

I have a 17 X5 40e with close to 60,000 miles on it. I experienced a similar situation like you with the drivetrain malfunction light coming on with similar symptoms of no ac and limited power. I took in to the dealership and I was told that BMW Field Tech recommended removing the hybrid battery cells to test them individually. They found three battery cells that were bad and would be replaced for free as they were covered under the warranty. But, I was told that BMW also recommended that the battery cell modules also needed to be replaced and that these were not covered by the warranty. Snowbird’s X5, did you also get the cell modules replaced? Or, they only replaced your battery cells?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 04:44 PM   #6
hamanncheese
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F15 X5

Thanks so much for your post, Snowbird'sX5! My 2017 40e (51k miles) just took a dump with similar symptoms (was driving in full EV mode, Drivetrain malfunction light, engine kicked on, low power mode, AC on minimum setting, alternator whine at initial start). Here's what the dealership advised after a $49.95 diagnostic fee -

Code 222D66 Electrical machine: Voltage phase interrupted. Fault code details here
Code 222863 Emergency run manage information Electrical machine deactivated (freewheel)
Code 222863 Emergency run manage information Electrical machine deactivated (active short)
Code 222630 Inverter, phase current, signal: Too large

Dealership advised next step is $438 diagnosis fee (remove battery and the EME?), which I think I'm forced to pursue. I'm hoping my issues are covered by the the 7yr/70k coverage on Hybrid electrical components. Not sure what exactly is covered, but it's a $438 risk I'm willing to take.
| Osram CBB |

Last edited by hamanncheese; 05-20-2022 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 04:07 PM   #7
AC^
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 xDrive40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamanncheese View Post

Dealership advised next step is $438 diagnosis fee (remove battery and the EME?), which I think I'm forced to pursue. I'm hoping my issues are covered by the the 7yr/70k coverage on Hybrid electrical components. Not sure what exactly is covered, but it's a $438 risk I'm willing to take.
Interested to hear what your end result was. Just took my car in and $225 diagnostic said module 5 will need to be replaced. Car is just under 7 years and has 69,700 miles on it, so just under the 7yr/70k threshold (phew!). I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealership, but I'm guessing I'm in for a multi-week long repair timeline.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 09:10 PM   #8
Tomcat_F15_STL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC^ View Post
just under the 7yr/70k threshold (phew!).
You got crazy lucky! You should plan a trip to Vegas.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 11:13 PM   #9
hamanncheese
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC^ View Post
Interested to hear what your end result was. Just took my car in and $225 diagnostic said module 5 will need to be replaced. Car is just under 7 years and has 69,700 miles on it, so just under the 7yr/70k threshold (phew!). I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealership, but I'm guessing I'm in for a multi-week long repair timeline.
My dealer replaced the EME which was a month long wait for parts. Paid $0 out of pocket and had a pretty cool loaner for the whole duration. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 05:12 PM   #10
frustratedtoad2016
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xdrive40e

Edrive not under waranty by default?

Hi all,

I'm having the exact same issue as listed above. 2016 X5 (F15) 40e with 69K miles.

However, the dealership is telling me that my car does NOT have coverage for:
- High Voltage Li-Ion Battery Capacity
- High Voltage Battery Warranty Capacity Limit

They showed me some paper that for my VIN, only a number of engine module components are covered under the 8yr/80K...

I'm a second owner so I don't know if the 8yr/80K was an option at signing. The website today says this warranty is standard but was this the case in 2016?

I called BMW NA (what the dealership said to do) but they just punted me back to dealership, saying all power regarding warranties rests with them. Frustrating and a poor experience.

Not very excited about a $5K bill just to dissasemble the modules and test them. Especially since my trusted independent BMW mechanic already told me there are charge faults in 2 of the modules on a recent diagnostic.

Was the battery coverage for 8yr/80K an extended warranty option? Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 07:22 AM   #11
paxpeter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 40e

It's 8 year/80K miles ... you are only in the 7th year now.

Might be worth trying a different dealer if you can.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 09:16 PM   #12
FREE100KSECRET
Rep
Drives: BMW e70 4.8

Extended CARB Hybrid warrantee

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustratedtoad2016 View Post
Hi all,

I'm having the exact same issue as listed above. 2016 X5 (F15) 40e with 69K miles.

However, the dealership is telling me that my car does NOT have coverage for:
- High Voltage Li-Ion Battery Capacity
- High Voltage Battery Warranty Capacity Limit

They showed me some paper that for my VIN, only a number of engine module components are covered under the 8yr/80K...

I'm a second owner so I don't know if the 8yr/80K was an option at signing. The website today says this warranty is standard but was this the case in 2016?

I called BMW NA (what the dealership said to do) but they just punted me back to dealership, saying all power regarding warranties rests with them. Frustrating and a poor experience.

Not very excited about a $5K bill just to dissasemble the modules and test them. Especially since my trusted independent BMW mechanic already told me there are charge faults in 2 of the modules on a recent diagnostic.

Was the battery coverage for 8yr/80K an extended warranty option? Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks
Curious, I heard BMW had to extend hybrid warrantee in CA, NY as example, anyone know where to find this information? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 11:05 AM   #13
DMSBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 eDrive

2016 BMW X5 eDrive - High Voltage Battery Under Warrenty

I had a similar experience to snowbirds X5. I am three months away from the end of my warranty on the high-voltage lithium ion battery.

I dropped it off at the dealer with three issues:

1. The AC not working consistently
2. The high voltage battery is depleted and giving me only 3-5 miles.
3. I have a white puff of smoke when it switches from battery to gas and I step on the gas.

The fault codes that came back pertaining to the lithium ion battery where 21F112 and 21F194. I was told those fault codes had to do with the main battery not having enough voltage. The recommendation was to replace the main battery and to drive the car in battery saving mode. I told them I was uncomfortable driving the car in this way as that is not how the car was intended to be driven and that I dropped it off with three issues that haven’t been resolved and I find it unwelcome that they return my vehicle in exact same manner with a workaround as opposed to replacing the lithium battery under warranty.

My next steps are contacting BMW from a carbon emission standpoint. The dealership recommendation is the opposite of BMW‘s mission statement when it comes to carbon emissions. My dealership is right next door to a TV station and I'm going to see if they want to do a special interest piece.

My dealership quoted me $20K for a replacement. BMW didn't become a 156B company by giving away $20K without a fight. Time to make some noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 02:01 PM   #14
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSBMW View Post
I had a similar experience to snowbirds X5. I am three months away from the end of my warranty on the high-voltage lithium ion battery.

I dropped it off at the dealer with three issues:

1. The AC not working consistently
2. The high voltage battery is depleted and giving me only 3-5 miles.
3. I have a white puff of smoke when it switches from battery to gas and I step on the gas.

The fault codes that came back pertaining to the lithium ion battery where 21F112 and 21F194. I was told those fault codes had to do with the main battery not having enough voltage. The recommendation was to replace the main battery and to drive the car in battery saving mode. I told them I was uncomfortable driving the car in this way as that is not how the car was intended to be driven and that I dropped it off with three issues that haven’t been resolved and I find it unwelcome that they return my vehicle in exact same manner with a workaround as opposed to replacing the lithium battery under warranty.

My next steps are contacting BMW from a carbon emission standpoint. The dealership recommendation is the opposite of BMW‘s mission statement when it comes to carbon emissions. My dealership is right next door to a TV station and I'm going to see if they want to do a special interest piece.

My dealership quoted me $20K for a replacement. BMW didn't become a 156B company by giving away $20K without a fight. Time to make some noise.
Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 01:08 PM   #15
wacbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M4

Thanks all for your insight in this thread. I was able to get in under the warranty deadline (12-15) to have my modules 3 and 7 replaced. They initially just said the normal 12-volt battery was old and needed replacement. However, they keep it over the weekend to test after it sat. They then rediscover additional errors which led them to having to drop the battery to test the cells. Without this thread I would not have been so calm through the process, but thanks to all the shared information I felt confident that it would likely be covered by the warranty. thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 08:01 PM   #16
Tomcat_F15_STL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

That 40e model sounds like trouble.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 03:11 PM   #17
Station1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

hamanncheese was your car still under warranty? Because the EME is not part of the High Voltage Battery 8 years warranty. That is what I was told.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 02:20 PM   #18
wacbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M4

Just got mine back. Thanks to this thread i was on the lookout for issue. Just made the window by two week for my 2016 40e. Two modules needed to be replaced. I received the shutdown warning and limped to the dealership. They first replaced the old 12v battery thinking that was the cause. After still seeing the error, they ran more test and with BMW's help the determined the hybrid battery fault. Quoted 10295 until they could verify the issue. They were able to confirm the parts were covered under the emissions warranty. So out the door for the diag fee and new battery $654.28 The new parts are also covered for 2 years. Thanks again for the thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 04:33 PM   #19
FREE100KSECRET
Rep
Drives: BMW e70 4.8

BMW 40E Hybrid EME service request bulletin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station1 View Post
hamanncheese was your car still under warranty? Because the EME is not part of the High Voltage Battery 8 years warranty. That is what I was told.
You may be able to get EME replacement under this service bulletin.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...61553-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 06:19 PM   #20
jbfrancis3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

I am not trying to fan a fire. Potentially at risk of a nearly $7k module and then high voltage batteries at nearly $3k apiece, with 3 needed - I'm not even calculating labor - would give me chills and feel its not fair to be on the hook as an owner. But that's what will happen and these threads are helpful for awareness.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 02:56 PM   #21
Jackclarke120
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
I am not trying to fan a fire. Potentially at risk of a nearly $7k module and then high voltage batteries at nearly $3k apiece, with 3 needed - I'm not even calculating labor - would give me chills and feel its not fair to be on the hook as an owner. But that's what will happen and these threads are helpful for awareness.
Did you figure it out? Our 2017 x5 40e gets 7-8 on electric and wondering if I’m still eligible for replacement of battery under warranty. Does it have to fail?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 07:59 AM   #22
Dotsy115
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

I'm in a very similar position if anyone can advise? I have a 2016 f15 and the eme/inverter completely lost power while in being checked out for something small. It was with a local mechanic and not a bmw dealership. The mechanic said I would have to replace the inverter. So I ordered a pre owned part and he tried to replace it. Seems now there's a coding issue with the immobiliser and possibly the gearbox too. I have a coding company quoting me €3000 minimum for work with no guarantee the car can even be fixed??!!
Appreciate 0