Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbarnes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by volc View Post
Yes, ACC parts costed below 900, including steering wheel (heated , DSC, ICM, ACC sensor and brand new lower grill.

Night Vision hardware was sth around 1500$, but I was quite lucky to get almost complete set from one seller.

As far as I recall somebody was writing that DSC ACC has 2 extra sensors inside. No clue for what reason.

As far as I recall KAFAS is only preparing brakes, by raiaisng the pressure, so when you press the pedal is brakes sooner.
I wonder if not having the right DSC is what was throwing the crazy errors when I put the replacement ICM in. What's interesting is that non of the wiring diagrams show the DSC in any part of the ACC system. Not that it necessarily means anything, but I would have thought if it were an integral part of the system it would have had some additional comm wires vs. non-ACC cars.
So you kept your premium DSC? If you get it working you'll be the proof that an ACC version isn't needed.

Maybe you should enlist a company (like bimmertech) who does coding to have a look at the errors? It's always good to have a second pair of eyes when stuff goes wrong..

Also, shawnsheridan seems like a coding guru.. maybe he can lend some advice?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #24
mfbarnes
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Ok. So I know I've been radio silent for a while, but after some of the issues that I had the first time when it came to coding, I had to give the car back to my wife for a while. But, I did discover that the issue is the DSC.
James, if you're still out there, my DSC has the exact same part number as yours and I confirmed with ista that it IS NOT compatible. You have to have an ACC enabled DSC even if it says premium on the sticker.
By the way, if you're looking for someone to help with coding, Steve from codemybimmer is awesome. Super patient, super flexible, really great dude.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 03:46 PM   #25
albec
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F15) 2014

Quote:
I have completed a retrofit of ACC+TJA this week. I have:
1. Replaced DSC pump from Premium to Premium ACC, required sucking out brake fluid, refilling and bleeding
2. Replaced ICM from V4.7 to V5.7, required dismantling a complete central console
3. Replaced front lower grill for the one required by ACC sensor
4. Mounted ACC sensor
5. Replaced steering wheel with one suited for ACC+TJA
6. Add supply (fuse F45) and earth wiring to ACC sensor
7. Add S-CAN wiring from ACC sensor to KAFAS2 module and further to ICM
8. Coded DSC, ICM and ACC to my car
9. Done chassis height calibration for replaced ICM

Parts cost was below 900$, but I should still get back some money by selling old parts (M-Power Steering wheel, front lower grill).
Quote:
I have completed a retrofit of ACC+TJA this week. I have:
1. Replaced DSC pump from Premium to Premium ACC, required sucking out brake fluid, refilling and bleeding
2. Replaced ICM from V4.7 to V5.7, required dismantling a complete central console
3. Replaced front lower grill for the one required by ACC sensor
4. Mounted ACC sensor
5. Replaced steering wheel with one suited for ACC+TJA
6. Add supply (fuse F45) and earth wiring to ACC sensor
7. Add S-CAN wiring from ACC sensor to KAFAS2 module and further to ICM
8. Coded DSC, ICM and ACC to my car
9. Done chassis height calibration for replaced ICM

Parts cost was below 900$, but I should still get back some money by selling old parts (M-Power Steering wheel, front lower grill).
Hi,

I'm planning my ACC retrofit, just like you did. I have all the parts, but need to perform the retrofit wiring. Did you have a donor wining or did you make it from scratch? If so where did you get the parts required?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #26
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwes View Post

The DIY is coming along - it takes longer to write a good DIY than it does to do the actual retrofit!

gwes
Any updates on this?
      06-18-2020, 06:35 PM   #27
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Any updates on this?
Haven't written it yet - are you looking at doing this? I can definitely answer your questions if you have any.

Last edited by gwes; 10-14-2020 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 10:25 PM   #28
vvld
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 2015 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwes View Post
Haven't written it yet - are you looking at doing this? I can definitely answer your questions if you have any.

Graham
Hey, another enthusiast here with a 2015 X5 35d.

It has the options:
5AS : Driving Assistant
5DL : Surround View
5DP : Park Assistant

It also has parts of the Driving Assistant Plus:
Active Blind Spot Detection and
Active Driving Assistant

but no ACC. I'm trying to evaluate if I can add it easy/cheap.

Do I need to replace the DSC pump and the ICM? Would the park assistant already have the necessary ones?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #29
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Check this thread here https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1030327, but looks like you will need extra parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 02:54 AM   #30
volc
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 '14 M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkbrainer View Post

It has the options:

Active Driving Assistant

Do I need to replace the DSC pump and the ICM? Would the park assistant already have the necessary ones?
If you have Park Assistant than according to realoem.com you do not need new DSC pump and ICM.

You only need:
1. ACC sensor + bracket
2. Front bumper grill for ACC
3. Buttons on the steering wheel (might be that also a module from steering wheel, I was replacing whole wheel on mine car)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 07:11 AM   #31
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkbrainer View Post

It has the options:

Active Driving Assistant

Pretty sure volc is right - according to realoem it should work.
You'll need the buttons for your steering wheel - you'll already have the plug for those buttons in the steering column switch unit - and it looks like just the ACC specific parts for the sensor/bracket/grill.
Appreciate 1
vvld0.00
      10-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #32
vvld
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 2015 35d

Thanks volc & gwes, that makes things simple.

There are 4 ACC sensors at realoem, i guess I should be looking for the one that ended 07/2015 66316874817, so it's compatible with the rest of the car.

As far as coding is concerned, should I expect difficulties making the car work with the new sensor? Like the steering column?

I enabled high-beam assist, as I have the camera unit, but it complains the steering column is a different version (for the missing extra button). And from what I read, it cannot be done via coding (and default on), so i'm thinking if the new ACC unit would require new steering column to enable the extra buttons. (and possibly can be combined with my high-beam assist)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 02:16 PM   #33
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Hello & ACC Retrofit question

I would assume that it's as simple as adding the option and vo coding. Maybe someone with the option who codes can chime in. I'll be really interested to find out if you can do it without changing the DSC since it hasn't been something we can definitively answer to this point.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 03:31 AM   #34
airbibo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F14 M40D

Hello Guys, I am interested in this as well. Is there any video on how to proceed in doing this?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 10:31 AM   #35
nickkolay
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M F86

X6M/F86

Hi Guys,

This thread has helped a lot so far, and a, albeit quick, search didn't bring up much information on the X6M/F86 and retrofitting the ACC/TJA, I figured I'd ask on here. Has anyone done it?

I've got all of the parts here/on the way except for one. And I might not need it but wanted to ask before I pulled the bumper off, which is the grill with the plastic in the center. I've also ordered the brackets for the M Aerodynamics Bumper, which might work, but again, I haven't taken the thing apart yet. Anyone know how that would mount, or if there is a part that would fit the M bumper?

On to TJA, I've read in the other thread regarding using Quidzel. Not sure if I need it, I have lane departure warning, surround camera, etc, but not sure what code it would be for the touch wheel. Also, not sure if this is electric steering or "active steering" in this car. I've attached what BimmerCode pulled up. Don't see Active Steering there but might be wrong.

Haven't done anything like this before, but hoping you guys can help out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 05:29 PM   #36
volc
Private
Rep

As far as I recall F86 has electric steering, so it is fine for TJA. For sure you won't have required circuit in F86 steering wheel. Here it might be either needed to downgrade your car to F16 M Wheel, mix components of F86 and F16 steering wheels or finally add some resistors fooling car that you have steering wheel with sensor. I have no experience with F86 bumper so I have no idea about it. Nevertheless I am a bit suspicious, this bumper looks like a completely different design that F16 one. I have a poor man's M - M50d, so I haven't had most of your challenges while retrofitting ACC. I keep fingers crossed for you trying to add it. Please post a message when you'll be done with it
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #37
nickkolay
Rep

Quote:
As far as I recall F86 has electric steering, so it is fine for TJA. For sure you won't have required circuit in F86 steering wheel. Here it might be either needed to downgrade your car to F16 M Wheel, mix components of F86 and F16 steering wheels or finally add some resistors fooling car that you have steering wheel with sensor. I have no experience with F86 bumper so I have no idea about it. Nevertheless I am a bit suspicious, this bumper looks like a completely different design that F16 one. I have a poor man's M - M50d, so I haven't had most of your challenges while retrofitting ACC. I keep fingers crossed for you trying to add it. Please post a message when you'll be done with it
Volc, thanks for replying. Your original message was the reason I decided to take this on (and actually purchase the x6m because I wasn't going to without the ACC lol).

In regards to the steering wheel, I think the sensor should work. I'd prefer it that way. The end goal here is to use Comma.ai with OpenPilot, so as long as the functions work, the rest should be able to be handled by OpenPilot (of course, getting that to work will be a completely different monster in itself).

Regarding the bumper, yes, it's huge. They don't make ACC here in the M because of the intercooler, or so I'm told. Granted, I'm willing to get a more efficient intercooler if I will end up needing it, but for now, I'd love to get this to work. Still waiting on the ICM and the buttons for the steering wheel to arrive.

M50D sounds nice. I wanted a diesel X6, but we don't have those here. I wish we had an X6d here in the states.

Was coding the ICM hard (changing vin etc?).
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #38
volc
Private
Rep

Wow, I'm positively surprised about history of your purchase

With OpenPilot I am even shocked - great idea! If I were living in a place with so many highways with cruel speed limits I would definitely steal your idea. Here when I'm finally on the highway I do not want to give up driving, 3 turbos need some air to properly breathe

M50d is nice, thanks to choosing diesel I do not need to make visits to petrol stations a daily habit The biggest disadvantage is the sound of engine. Or actually complete lack of it Even my lawn mower sounds far better

Coding ICM was extremely easy. I did that for the first time and went smoothly. You just need to calibrate height of the car as a part of ICM initialisation. Prepare measuring tape for that Choose proper ICM, but I see you know well what you are doing

What do you plan to do with buttons on the left side of steering wheel? F16 has there ACC buttons. In F86 you have them already occupied with special mode buttons.

PS: check ACC bracket before dismantling the car. I was, as always, hurrying and ended up in long and complicated hammering of bracket to make it back straight. I did not want to wait for a next bracket and having car in pieces for few days.

PS2: if you will be missing plug for ACC sensor you can use one of Webasto auxiliary heating plugs. They are usually easily available new online and cost barely nothing.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 07:49 PM   #39
nickkolay
Rep

Haha me too. Ever since my first BMW, I've lived BMWs, but then after I got a truck to tow my toy hauler, sold my 335is, and have been missing it greatly. Was about to buy a truck with ACC and then saw your post, and instantly bought the F86.

I hope OpenPilot works. I want it so I can take 4-8 hour long drives to the track after work, in order to wake up fresh in the morning at 7 am and ride motorcycles.

The sound thing is true. That does go away with the diesel, but you get more torque

Yes, I do remember you saying that about the thing. Kind of interested in seeing it drop a little, but at the same time not too much because of the trailer.

I don't need the M buttons. I ordered a MF switch from BMW (that and the ICM are the only thing I'm still waiting on to get delivered. ICM will be here on Monday, the MF switch is coming from germany). I actually figured it all out thanks to your post.

What do you mean by check the ACC bracket. What was wrong with yours?

Does the plug not come on the harness? I ordered a new harness hoping it would be on there, but haven't unwrapped it yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #40
nickkolay
Rep

Found the 8 pin plug. I'm not sure what the guy did in that other link (the one with 3 series) where he used the bumper wires (PDC), but these bumper wires definitely don't have anything for this plug, and according to TIS, they don't run S-Can on them. That strictly goes from KAFAS to ACC with ICM being spliced into it. Anyone know where that splice is? Do these wires go there? I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing a splice wherever I feel like it (probably around fuse 45) or if I'm bringing them over to the other side to the KAFAS? I can't for the life of me find what harness it's supposed to go on.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 06:18 PM   #41
volc
Private
Rep

I was mostly buying used parts, so sensor bracket was simply bent.

As far as I recall I was taking S-CAN from Kafas module under the steering wheel. I have somewhere my notes, but I need a while to find them
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 02:19 AM   #42
F85mracer
Racer
Albania
Rep
Drives: ALPINA B6

Hello!
F85 here.
I have every option checked off on my build sheet except for Night Vision & Rear TV’s (Has nothing to do with ACC).
Contemplating on doing a retrofit for ACC with a couple concerns.
-Where will my buttons go to activate/ control ACC because I want to keep my red M1 & M2 buttons?
-Does installing this and getting it to work void my idrive / electronics warranty if something breaks unrelated?
-Will I need new “DSC premium” + “ICM” modules according to my vehicles equipment from factory or do I have full compatibility without new modules?
-Will I need a new intercooler??? Haha
-Is this plug and play mainly or do I need to mount/ drill in things into new locations, if so where and how many?
-Also is there a “F15/F16 ACC retrofit kit” somewhere I could purchase every part I would need in one complete kit or do I need to find each and every individual part / does anyone have a list of all the part numbers of parts I would need for F85/F86 scenario.
Thanks!
Convinced ///M engineers 24 hours before start of production of the F85/F86 where like haha you want Mpower??? No problem but deep tissue massages and front bumpers are A La Carte... LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 08:57 AM   #43
nickkolay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F85mracer View Post
Hello!
F85 here.
I have every option checked off on my build sheet except for Night Vision & Rear TV’s (Has nothing to do with ACC).
-Where will my buttons go to activate/ control ACC because I want to keep my red M1 & M2 buttons?
-Does installing this and getting it to work void my idrive / electronics warranty if something breaks unrelated?
-Will I need new “DSC premium” + “ICM” modules according to my vehicles equipment from factory or do I have full compatibility without new modules?
-Is this plug and play mainly or do I need to mount/ drill in things into new locations, if so where and how many?
-Also is there a “F15/F16 ACC retrofit kit” somewhere I could purchase every part I would need in one complete kit or do I need to find each and every individual part / does anyone have a list of all the part numbers of parts I would need for F85/F86 scenario.
Thanks!
Convinced ///M engineers 24 hours before start of production of the F85/F86 where like haha you want Mpower??? No problem but deep tissue massages and front bumpers are A La Carte... LOL

I'm doing an F86 right now. My DSC didn't match up. You can pop your hood and look at if. If it doesn't have the words "ACC" on it, you'll need a new one. I haven't popped out the ICM yet. I ordered another one. Going to take it apart just one time. If mine is a 5.7, I can sell the one I bought (if you can wait till all my parts get here (2 weeks from now).

I haven't figured out if it's possible to keep the M buttons, granted I haven't looked. I ordered the acc and tja buttons. My understanding, you lose the m buttons.

Don't know about things breaking. Also wondering the same about the intercooler. Considering how much you need your M buttons, you might need it before I do, but still. Also, you'll probably void the warranty of the main harness since you have to tap into it. But then again, the s can bus only goes to the three parts but then indirectly, I think Kafas goes to the buttons by the shifter, etc. Soo...modify at your own risk?

Also, couldn't find a retrofit kit. Heck, I can't even find the correct grill with the little plastic piece in the center. I ordered one, and it was like half the size
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2021, 11:46 AM   #44
F85mracer
Racer
Albania
Rep
Drives: ALPINA B6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkolay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F85mracer View Post
Hello!
F85 here.
Thanks!

I'm doing an F86 right now. My DSC didn't match up. You can pop your hood and look at if. If it doesn't have the words "ACC" on it, you'll need a new one. I haven't popped out the ICM yet. I ordered another one. Going to take it apart just one time. If mine is a 5.7, I can sell the one I bought (if you can wait till all my parts get here (2 weeks from now).

I haven't figured out if it's possible to keep the M buttons, granted I haven't looked. I ordered the acc and tja buttons. My understanding, you lose the m buttons.

Don't know about things breaking. Also wondering the same about the intercooler. Considering how much you need your M buttons, you might need it before I do, but still. Also, you'll probably void the warranty of the main harness since you have to tap into it. But then again, the s can bus only goes to the three parts but then indirectly, I think Kafas goes to the buttons by the shifter, etc. Soo...modify at your own risk?

Also, couldn't find a retrofit kit. Heck, I can't even find the correct grill with the little plastic piece in the center. I ordered one, and it was like half the size
Wow...
This seems like a lot of work for such a simple option a base X5 20 diesel in Europe could come with...
Honestly if I have to remove my M buttons... I don't even want ACC anymore.
Couldn't I fabricate the little buttons into the dash somewhere next to the light switch perhaps where night vision button would go + wire it up into tricking the modules it's on the wheel? This is my main concern because Sport+ open valves do donuts mode is only one button away and I don't want to loose that especially since I bought red ones :|
My car beeps at me all day long in stop and go traffic when I punch it and approach the next car never actually been close enough to stop for me but I'm hoping it should granted it really needs too LOL. I'm just so lazy on the freeway with all these stupid drivers taking up the fast lane I want my car to keep distance from them for me otherwise it turns into everyone get out of my way which isn't good for my driving record + wallet HAHA. Hence I could avoid these habits with ACC turned on (most of the time) .
Do you think it's possible to just take my car to a dealership and ask them to install for me? Assuming they don't ask for a crazy number like 5k and more like $1500-$2800?
Appreciate 0