BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #45
nickkolay
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by volc View Post
I was mostly buying used parts, so sensor bracket was simply bent.

As far as I recall I was taking S-CAN from Kafas module under the steering wheel. I have somewhere my notes, but I need a while to find them
I thought I answered this, but i didn't click submit lol, sorry. Below is the response

Oh I see. I bought new everything I could afford, and only got the sensor, dsc and ICM used. The rest of it all was pretty cheap new from dealer (I'm also a used car dealer, so I get discounts from BMW)

See and that's one of the places I can take it from. It's weird. The wiring diagram shows the splice with the ICM. I guess, if there weren't cables routed there already, I have to splice into them. I'm not sure how much I'm willing to take apart the car to see where the actual splice happens. It says that it's under the passenger footwell according to TIS, but... :/
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 02:03 PM   #46
nickkolay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F85mracer View Post
Wow...
This seems like a lot of work for such a simple option a base X5 20 diesel in Europe could come with...
Honestly if I have to remove my M buttons... I don't even want ACC anymore.
Couldn't I fabricate the little buttons into the dash somewhere next to the light switch perhaps where night vision button would go + wire it up into tricking the modules it's on the wheel? This is my main concern because Sport+ open valves do donuts mode is only one button away and I don't want to loose that especially since I bought red ones :|
My car beeps at me all day long in stop and go traffic when I punch it and approach the next car never actually been close enough to stop for me but I'm hoping it should granted it really needs too LOL. I'm just so lazy on the freeway with all these stupid drivers taking up the fast lane I want my car to keep distance from them for me otherwise it turns into everyone get out of my way which isn't good for my driving record + wallet HAHA. Hence I could avoid these habits with ACC turned on (most of the time) .
Do you think it's possible to just take my car to a dealership and ask them to install for me? Assuming they don't ask for a crazy number like 5k and more like $1500-$2800?
Considering they won't use used parts, I doubt it. I think each of the two modules you need is like 1500 each. Plus, this is a safety technology. Imagine they mess up. The liablity is too great a risk. If you have a buddy who works at BMW, he might help you, but very highly doubt it's possible.

I don't know enough about coding to move the buttons. Theoretically, if you tap into the wires, and create a bracket, you'll possibly be able to add the two buttons. Might not look super pretty? Also, technically, if you want to go further with it, maybe take apart the whole steering column, tap there, and put the buttons next to the heating steering wheel button. As long as they are all running on the same can bus, but again, not good at coding, but that's my understanding of how that works. Same concept as tapping the S CAN bus from the KAFAS to the ICM.

Tell me more about this Sport+ that turns on RWD only?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #47
F85mracer
Racer
Albania
Rep
Drives: ALPINA B6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkolay View Post
Quote:
Wow...
This seems like a lot of work for such a simple option a base X5 20 diesel in Europe could come with...
Honestly if I have to remove my M buttons... I don't even want ACC anymore.
Couldn't I fabricate the little buttons into the dash somewhere next to the light switch perhaps where night vision button would go + wire it up into tricking the modules it's on the wheel? This is my main concern because Sport+ open valves do donuts mode is only one button away and I don't want to loose that especially since I bought red ones :|
My car beeps at me all day long in stop and go traffic when I punch it and approach the next car never actually been close enough to stop for me but I'm hoping it should granted it really needs too LOL. I'm just so lazy on the freeway with all these stupid drivers taking up the fast lane I want my car to keep distance from them for me otherwise it turns into everyone get out of my way which isn't good for my driving record + wallet HAHA. Hence I could avoid these habits with ACC turned on (most of the time) .
Do you think it's possible to just take my car to a dealership and ask them to install for me? Assuming they don't ask for a crazy number like 5k and more like $1500-$2800?
Considering they won't use used parts, I doubt it. I think each of the two modules you need is like 1500 each. Plus, this is a safety technology. Imagine they mess up. The liablity is too great a risk. If you have a buddy who works at BMW, he might help you, but very highly doubt it's possible.

I don't know enough about coding to move the buttons. Theoretically, if you tap into the wires, and create a bracket, you'll possibly be able to add the two buttons. Might not look super pretty? Also, technically, if you want to go further with it, maybe take apart the whole steering column, tap there, and put the buttons next to the heating steering wheel button. As long as they are all running on the same can bus, but again, not good at coding, but that's my understanding of how that works. Same concept as tapping the S CAN bus from the KAFAS to the ICM.

Tell me more about this Sport+ that turns on RWD only?
If I do the retrofit for ACC I want it done right... One of my friends is a mechanic at the BMW dealer and my cousin is a coding god. I'm sure we could figure it out. The buttons seem to be my main concern because instead of being plug and play for majority of install there will need to be drilling/ fabricating new switches + coding everything to work which is a whole separate job in and of itself (that we don't even know if it will all work in sync with no codes). Haha and yes Sport+ mode... My favorite. In your I-Drive vehicle settings go to driving mode you will see tab/ column "M1" and "M2" with all different types of settings from our engine all the way to suspension and everything in between allowing you to customize your "M1 and M2 buttons". My M1 button is set in comfort/ efficient and M2 everything in Sport+ with MDM traction loose (Valves open). If you put ACC in place of the M buttons you will loose the ability to quickly change driving modes within less then a second. There are over 80+ total different combinations you can create in your "M1 and M2 buttons". If you replace the M buttons with ACC you will have to manually change each category of adjustment with the driving mode buttons + traction control button and will easily be clicking buttons for 10-15 seconds and then another 10-15 looking how to turn traction into MDM mode where it's 70%+ rear wheel drive without traction being fully off. These buttons just save you a lot of time on the fly if your local scatpack wants to see your rear end LOL.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 03:37 PM   #48
volc
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 '14 M50D

Quote:

As far as I recall I was taking S-CAN from Kafas module under the steering wheel. I have somewhere my notes, but I need a while to find them
Here is what I have found in my notes for ACC sensor B202*1B black 8pin:
Pin no 1 - plus F45 - fuses passenger side - Z7*1B pin no 4
Pin no 3 - S-CAN H - KAFAS module - 12pin black A56*1B pin no 3
Pin no 6 - S-CAN L - KAFAS module - 12pin black A56*1B pin no 4
Pin no 8 - earth - earthing point next to hood's right hinge - Z10*6B

PS: I have also Nightvision, alarm and DHP electrics decoded that way
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia986.00
      02-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #49
F85mracer
Racer
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do you think it would be possible to take a brand new X5M F95 instrument cluster and fabricate it to work with the F85 dash? My budget is 2k. Is this possible?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 12:52 PM   #50
nickkolay
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for that. Yes, those lines also go to the ICM, and TIS says that they technically meet at the passenger footwell (where the tap is done). My question is if you remember if the wires were there or not. We got an X5 from 17 or 18 on the lot that has ACC, so I'm about to go find things out tomorrow probably, but would prefer not to take the car apart more than neccessary lol

I want to get Nightvision, along with the spot lights, what's DHP? I think I already have the alarm (the big red nose?)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 12:53 PM   #51
nickkolay
Rep

Quote:
Do you think it would be possible to take a brand new X5M F95 instrument cluster and fabricate it to work with the F85 dash? My budget is 2k. Is this possible?
Check that out. If you can get someone to code it and confirm that it can work, that would be what you can get done, if you're willing to spend 1500 on the wheel, plus additional on the extra parts. I think altogether, including BMW wires and connectors, I'm at a little over 1k for the ACC stuff, my time not included in the price lol

https://www.vividracing.com/-p-15285...hoCVbwQAvD_BwE
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 01:23 PM   #52
volc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that. Yes, those lines also go to the ICM, and TIS says that they technically meet at the passenger footwell (where the tap is done). My question is if you remember if the wires were there or not. We got an X5 from 17 or 18 on the lot that has ACC, so I'm about to go find things out tomorrow probably, but would prefer not to take the car apart more than neccessary lol

I want to get Nightvision, along with the spot lights, what's DHP? I think I already have the alarm (the big red nose?)
I do not think that wires are there. I was not searching for them either. I have just run new set of wires. I have added Nightvision with spot lights, it is quite useful, nevertheless recently I hit small deer, as it jumped just into my bumper out of nowhere. I also turn off pedestrian warning lights in urban areas as people are getting constantly annoyed

Alarm is big red nose and DHP is Dynamic Handling Package = Active Roll Stabilisation (Dynamic Drive / Adaptive Drive) + Torque Vectoring.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #53
nickkolay
Rep

Quote:
I do not think that wires are there. I was not searching for them either. I have just run new set of wires. I have added Nightvision with spot lights, it is quite useful, nevertheless recently I hit small deer, as it jumped just into my bumper out of nowhere. I also turn off pedestrian warning lights in urban areas as people are getting constantly annoyed

Alarm is big red nose and DHP is Dynamic Handling Package = Active Roll Stabilisation (Dynamic Drive / Adaptive Drive) + Torque Vectoring.
I see. But you definitely ran them into the cab, so I guess either way, I'll probably end up having to do that. I think I have DHP then, at least, I'd be surprised if an M didn't have that. Yeah, but I'd rather they be annoyed then under my tires I'm sorry you got a deer. How's the car/and your self?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 09:41 PM   #54
F85mracer
Racer
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Check that out. If you can get someone to code it and confirm that it can work, that would be what you can get done, if you're willing to spend 1500 on the wheel, plus additional on the extra parts. I think altogether, including BMW wires and connectors, I'm at a little over 1k for the ACC stuff, my time not included in the price lol

You need the new wheel for the new instrument cluster to even work? That's insane lol
-
Something more reasonable...?
Doing a retrofit for our F15/F16 series cup holders... Not too sure about anyone else here with a F85 that has same issue but more then an hour of my drink sitting in my cup holder while I'm driving my drink is piss warm?

My solution:

Fingers crossed I don't need to cut through too many trim pieces. Haha

2020 bmw x5 heated/cooled cupholder assembly https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/auto...cupholders.jpg
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 02:12 AM   #55
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You need the new wheel for the new instrument cluster to even work? That's insane lol
-
Doing a retrofit for our F15/F16 series cup holders... Not too sure about anyone else here with a F85 that has same issue but more then an hour of my drink sitting in my cup holder while I'm driving my drink is piss warm?

My solution:

2020 bmw x5 heated/cooled cupholder assembly https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/auto...cupholders.jpg
This will be awesome if it works.. keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 02:38 AM   #56
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

The original part is 51166827173 - thermoelectric cup holder, it costs around 500$ new.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #57
F85mracer
Racer
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
The original part is 51166827173 - thermoelectric cup holder, it costs around 500$ new.
Can you put ACC buttons on right side of wheel? In place of these 2 useless buttons
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:32 AM   #58
volc
Private
Rep

Quote:
I see. But you definitely ran them into the cab, so I guess either way, I'll probably end up having to do that. I think I have DHP then, at least, I'd be surprised if an M didn't have that. Yeah, but I'd rather they be annoyed then under my tires I'm sorry you got a deer. How's the car/and your self?
Running wiring loom into cab was quite easy, there is a rubber inlet already prepared. It is near wiper motor on drivers side. I remember I had to drill, but I do not recall if I was drilling from the outside or from the inside.

Luckily (for me) it was a small deer. Unfortunately he did not survived. On X5 side damaged one Nightvision spot light, one parking sensor, one M50d trim on air inlet and what's worst fans housing broken. No loses in human beings.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 12:42 PM   #59
nickkolay
Rep

I don't think the conversation here was about the instrument cluster. I'm a little lost.

The cup holder thing looks awesome. My drinks don't get warm, but hey, maybe in the summer they wil...won't because I'll have this retrofit muwahah lol

Quote:
-

My solution:

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 12:43 PM   #60
nickkolay
Rep

Quote:
Running wiring loom into cab was quite easy, there is a rubber inlet already prepared. It is near wiper motor on drivers side. I remember I had to drill, but I do not recall if I was drilling from the outside or from the inside.

Luckily (for me) it was a small deer. Unfortunately he did not survived. On X5 side damaged one Nightvision spot light, one parking sensor, one M50d trim on air inlet and what's worst fans housing broken. No loses in human beings.
I see, okay, well hopefully it will be easy enough. I'm waiting for my wires and my steering wheel buttosn to come.

That sucks about the damages, but it doesn't sound like it's too expensive. The broken housing, some of that plastic weld stuff should probably handle it
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 09:08 PM   #61
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

ACC Retrofit

Hey guys. I have 17 F85 with 5AS + 5DP . Looking at the tread seems like i only need 6860230 + front radar sensor + Front Bumber grill + Wiring Harness (If some one knows the P/N for this units i will appreciate).+ Steering Wheel buttons.

This should be it i think and VO coding the ACC + Coding the DSC + ICM . Can someone confirm this ? Thank you
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 04:56 AM   #62
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Hey guys. I have 17 F85 with 5AS + 5DP . Looking at the tread seems like i only need 6860230 + front radar sensor + Front Bumber grill + Wiring Harness (If some one knows the P/N for this units i will appreciate).+ Steering Wheel buttons.

This should be it i think and VO coding the ACC + Coding the DSC + ICM . Can someone confirm this ? Thank you
6860230 is a “radar sensor” - you want one from this list based on the year of your car.
You’ll need the bracket, the grill, the buttons for the steering wheel - all of those part numbers can be found by selecting your car from the link to the sensor above.
Do you have the KAFAS camera? Do you have surround view or road sign detection? That’s something else that’s required.
There isn’t an easy “wiring harness” that you can purchase for this, you’ll need to build the connector for the sensor and then run the wires to the fuse box, ground, ICM and the ECU for driver based support.

You’ll need change your FA and then code the whole car.

gwes
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #63
tominfhl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 35d

Hi all,
You all probably know this already by now but bpmsport successfully retrofit ACC and TJA on the F85. There will be a lot knowledge out there now between this thread and that one.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1815187

Last edited by tominfhl; 04-08-2021 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia986.00
      04-08-2021, 08:07 PM   #64
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Awesome thank you so much buddy. Yes i do have KAFAS2 with 360 camera system. So it will be really easy to wire from Radar module to ICM and KAFAS if i can find the diagram As far as the buttons goes i am not sure about removing the M buttons but will come up with something much more useful for me. I can install somewhere else by extending the wires from steering area to somewhere by the trims.

I also have NIVI and also displays cars in front of me when i get close enough. As far as the mesh grill goes BMP did it behind it. ANd i am super happy with the look. Hidden but functional so no need that piece

I am familiar to do all kind of wirings from my M3 so it is really a easy retrofit by looking at since i do not need to change any major parts since the existing ones are supporting this retrofit.

I think i will only add the ACC to the VO and i can VIN flash to my vehicle and code the ICM - ICM-V and KAKAS, EPS KOMBI, HUD, NBT and EDC accourdingly. But i dont have GHAS since its F85.

Additionally i found this small unit for the TJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwes View Post
6860230 is a “radar sensor” - you want one from this list based on the year of your car.

You’ll need the bracket, the grill, the buttons for the steering wheel - all of those part numbers can be found by selecting your car from the link to the sensor above.
Do you have the KAFAS camera? Do you have surround view or road sign detection? That’s something else that’s required.
There isn’t an easy “wiring harness” that you can purchase for this, you’ll need to build the connector for the sensor and then run the wires to the fuse box, ground, ICM and the ECU for driver based support.

You’ll need change your FA and then code the whole car.

gwes
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 04-08-2021 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 04:42 PM   #65
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:

So you didn't have to remove the center console to connect to ICM since Kafas is already connected there?

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 5.24.56 PM.png
Views: 939
Size:  130.0 KB

Kafas module located here

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 5.44.42 PM.png
Views: 1040
Size:  931.4 KB

Also, where did you route the cables through the firewall?
      04-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #66
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Amazing

Quote:

Thank you so much buddy. This info what i needed. As your notes goes where did you connected the pin 2 and pin 5, ICM? If so do you know which pins on the ICM module?

Another thing is my vehicle equipped with 5AS Driving Assist and 5AL Active Protection. Also i am seeing that there is 3 different VO for ACC Stop & Go . One of them is :

ACC can be VO coded by 5DF which is standalone ACC functionality and also seeing the new 5AU Active Driving Asistant Pro. And the other one is 5AT (Driving Assistant Plus). Since i already have 5AS and 5AL am i just gonna add 5DF (ACC) with 5AR (TJA) or am i gonna remove the 5AL and just add 5AT and 5AS with 5AR ?

Name:  01563493077.jpeg
Views: 804
Size:  363.7 KB

I also checked one of the F15 X5 with ACC VO and that one made me more confused because that one has 5AT

Name:  screenshot_1595.png
Views: 797
Size:  82.6 KB

And then i have looked at G15 Driving Asist PDF file i grabbed this info :

Name:  screenshot_1597.png
Views: 820
Size:  137.9 KB
Seems like 5AU and 5AS staying in the VO but not sure 5AL will remain when 5AU is added. Or 5AT and 5AS will be in the VO and 5AL will be removed. But as this screenshot says that since FRS not used in the G series 5AT will not be available. So 5AU must be G series VO while the Radar Sensor on the F is FRS i must VO code with 5AT without 5AL because the description of the 5AU says that it is including Lane Departure with side collision warning. I assume 5AT also include this feature which indicates 5AL.
Name:  screenshot_1599.png
Views: 833
Size:  110.3 KB

As far as my f85 coding goes, i am little bit confused what to VO code here. Any help appreciated.

Thank you.
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 04-09-2021 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0