BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

View Poll Results: What would you do in this situation?
Demand the wheels I ordered? 22 73.33%
Ask for additional accessories? 0 0%
Ask for a discount on the purchase price? 7 23.33%
Other. 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

04-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
SharkPhi
Contract Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X5

Taking Delivery tonight...but there may be an issue...

I'm practically on cloud nine. My salesman called and told me that my new F15 would be ready to pick up this evening after work!!

However, because I'm OCD, neurotic, and maybe a bit on the overbearing side, I got on the dealer website and found my car in the inventory, hoping to find some pics of my new toy.

That's when I noticed something...I specifically ordered the 469M Wheels, but the vehicle is specified both on the website and with the VIN decoder as having 451s. I looked up some F15 Msports with the 451s on them, and while they look REALLY good, I had my heart set on the 469Ms. Oh, and no one at the dealer told me the 469Ms were on backorder...nor that they were changing what I had ordered.

I have the original paperwork specifying the wheels I ordered, what do I do? Should I ask them to reduce the price of the vehicle the $950.00, or maybe to throw in some accessories as compensation. What about a wheel swap when the 469Ms come in?

Opinions, comments?
      04-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

I would be upset if they did that to me...

It's up to you... I would tell them I want those wheels and they better get them for me!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Have you actually confirmed with the dealer yet that the 469m's are not on the car? I know they were doing the 451's as a no charge option for a while because of shortages with the 469m's. So if you want to stick with the 451's (if they are indeed on the car), yes, you should ask for the $950 off the MSRP. If you want the 469's, don't take the car without them unless they offer you some alternative. I doubt they'll give you the car with 451's and trade them when the 469's come in, the 451's will then be used.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

You ordered something and paid for something...it has to be that SOMETHING. It takes less than 30 minutes for a dealer to swap rims. I even looked this up on other forums in regards to wrong wheels. Get them to compensate you (whether through free oil changes or whatever) for their stupidity and lack of information/communication and also to swap your rims because that's what you paid for. You have to be aggressive for their mistake, otherwise you get nothing.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
You ordered something and paid for something...it has to be that SOMETHING. It takes less than 30 minutes for a dealer to swap rims. I even looked this up on other forums in regards to wrong wheels. Get them to compensate you (whether through free oil changes or whatever) for their stupidity and lack of information/communication and also to swap your rims because that's what you paid for. You have to be aggressive for their mistake, otherwise you get nothing.
Agreed. You should get the dealer to get the order right.
I'm not sure if they will just swap the wheels with the one that is in the inventory, because when you look it up per VIN basis, it will shows what wheel the car should come with.
By just swapping it, it will gives some issues.
Unless if the dealer swap it for now and they get a new set to replace the one in the inventory.
Hopefully they can get it right for you.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:05 AM   #6
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

The WHOLE POINT of building and ordering your car is to get it just the way you want it. Not ALMOST the way you want it.

And to think that you waited all this time...pining away...counting the days...hours...minutes...seconds....in misery for that moment to come when you get to meet your F15 face to face...for the first time... to find out she's ALMOST the way you wanted. Wah wah wah wah wah~~~~

Get your 469M!!!

Z.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

[QUOTE=Zipforia;15881759]The WHOLE POINT of building and ordering your car is to get it just the way you want it. Not ALMOST the way you want it.

And to think that you waited all this time...pining away...counting the days...hours...minutes...seconds....in misery for that moment to come when you get to meet your F15 face to face...for the first time... to find out she's ALMOST the way you wanted. Wah wah wah wah wah~~~~

Get your 469M!!!

Too true
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

I would be pissed!!! However, I would try to agree that the dealer exchanges the wheels once they get them at no charge. I would not deny taking delivery since it will probably take you an eternity to get another car. BTW, I live the 469M way more than the 451's.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
I would be pissed!!! However, I would try to agree that the dealer exchanges the wheels once they get them at no charge. I would not deny taking delivery since it will probably take you an eternity to get another car. BTW, I live the 469M way more than the 451's.
I wouldn't think he needs another car, just the wheels. Not sure what the dealer could or would do to get them, but if he takes delivery, just needs to make sure there is a written agreement in place stating that they'll swap the wheels at no charge when they get them in.

Thing is, these are expensive wheels and even though it's their mistake, they may not accept them back as used wheels in a month or 3 or whenever the ones come in, they can easily re-sell his car if they want to be jerks about it. My guess, maybe they offer a discount on accessory wheels like others on here have gotten for similar issues, maybe they offer to hold the car until they can get the 469's, maybe they offer a $950 credit plus something for his trouble, etc… I just don't see them offering to let him take it as is then swap the wheels at no charge after the wheels (and tires) have been driven on for several thousand miles.. Then again, it is their fault, so maybe the price they pay is having a set of used wheels and tires on their hands……

We're all waiting for an update, OP, what'd they do?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
GoSooners
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5d

Go Sooners! Go Thunder!

If you're satisfied with the 451s (which I personally prefer over the 469s--more aggressive look), then I would keep them but make sure you are compensated above and beyond the cost difference for their mistake. I can't think of any reasonable accessories that will add up above $1000 but perhaps they can refund whatever the upgrade cost was in addition to providing you all BMW floor mats, cargo mats, key cover, any tint you want, license plate frame, any tint you desire...etc.

Keep in mind that if they do switch, there is the implication of wrong rims associated with your VIN when it comes time to turn in your lease (if applicable). Or say you try to sell the vehicle to someone really picky about OEM parts, you'd need to get this in writing and perhaps even notarized somehow so that it's not costing you years from now, albeit, not much in terms of asset depreciation, but moreso in terms of lease return or a deal-closer/breaker.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSooners View Post
Keep in mind that if they do switch, there is the implication of wrong rims associated with your VIN when it comes time to turn in your lease (if applicable). Or say you try to sell the vehicle to someone really picky about OEM parts, you'd need to get this in writing and perhaps even notarized somehow so that it's not costing you years from now, albeit, not much in terms of asset depreciation, but moreso in terms of lease return or a deal-closer/breaker.
I don't see any of this as an issue as long as you have proper receipts or paperwork, just have them note it on your lease agreement. It's easy enough to explain, and they're still OEM parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #12
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Try to see if the dealer can replace it for you. They need to get your order right.
But since the 469 are in shortage, I am not sure what options the dealer really has. Also, keep in mind of demand and supply. While you may not be happy about your car, there is probably someone that would pay more for the car you ordered right now and the dealer knows that. It all depends on your relationship with your dealer. Good luck and update us on the resolution.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
SharkPhi
Contract Agent
United_States
Rep

I have to say, I like the 451s. They discounted the total price 950.00, and threw in the iPhone snap in piece, tint, and 250.00 gift card to the Accessories/parts store at the dealer. I think that more than compensates for the lack of 469m wheels which, apparently, won't be available to purchase independent of a new build for several months.
      05-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouphidelt View Post
I have to say, I like the 451s. They discounted the total price 950.00, and threw in the iPhone snap in piece, tint, and 250.00 gift card to the Accessories/parts store at the dealer. I think that more than compensates for the lack of 469m wheels which, apparently, won't be available to purchase independent of a new build for several months.
That is great! Your negotiation skills are pretty good. Congrats and now go enjoy your new baby right away. :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #15
SharkPhi
Contract Agent
United_States
Rep

Thanks! I think after the headache my F10 caused (9 WEEKS in service over 18 months) they wanted me out the door with a smile and a BMW that didn't make them look bad.
      05-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #16
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Nice work! So they made you whole with the discount, and gave you another $500 worth of extras (or more, not sure what the adapter costs for the F15?) for the hassle. Good deal.

Edit: I forgot the tint, so really more like $750 or more of extras?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #17
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSooners View Post
Go Sooners! Go Thunder!

If you're satisfied with the 451s (which I personally prefer over the 469s--more aggressive look), then I would keep them but make sure you are compensated above and beyond the cost difference for their mistake. I can't think of any reasonable accessories that will add up above $1000 but perhaps they can refund whatever the upgrade cost was in addition to providing you all BMW floor mats, cargo mats, key cover, any tint you want, license plate frame, any tint you desire...etc.

I def like the 451's better as well...They look more agressive, but its personal preference...I would def ask for 950 off the price immediately
      05-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #18
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I find it crazy that BMW could just go ahead and change what people ordered without even notifying them or getting the approval first.

Alan
      05-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #19
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I find it crazy that BMW could just go ahead and change what people ordered without even notifying them or getting the approval first.

Alan
It happened with me on my E70.. but I didn't complain because I got what I wanted..
Mine was going to come with chrome window trims but due to the trim being out of stock at the time of my order, the factory installed it with black trim ( not shadow trim ). Which to me was fine, but I was hoping that my SA would at least notify me and give me options if available prior to installing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #20
BradATL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i M-Sport (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouphidelt View Post
Congrats! You negotiated a sweet deal. To me, that's a good outcome.
Appreciate 0