BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X5 M Azurite Black AB FML

Electric Sun Shade Malfunction

In another post I indicated that I picked up my brand new, 2018 X5 M yesterday. I spent a couple hours going over every single feature of the vehicle I or the BMW Genius could think of, except one.

As I drove home, I had to stop for gas, and ended up driving through some farmland and villages for a while due to some unbelievable road closures after getting off the autobahn to find an Esso.

Ultimately I spent the whole two and a half hour drive home, paying attention to my navigation and adjusting all the possible settings I thought I could adjust.

Because of the dark grey skies, rain, and all day overcast weather, I never once thought to open the electric sun shade, or test / operate the panoramic sunroof.

Today, I was giving my wife a tutorial on all the vehicles features, and when I went to try and open the electronic sun shade to see out of the panoramic sunroof, nothing happened.

The 2018 BMW X5 M had not been in my hands for 24 hours, and I already had a glitch that would not open the sun shade. I tried resetting the sunroof altogether as people have discussed on the forum. Did not work. I tried the express open of all windows by holding the unlock button, and all windows opened, but the panoramic sunroof did nothing.

I took it to my closest BMW Dealership service center, and a helpful service rep gladly went outside to see my brand new X5 M, and told me he would show me a trick. The trick did nothing. Resetting the system was the trick, but the system would not reset. You can hear a slight noise by pressing the switch closed, but no noise when trying to press the switch open. The switch lights up, so electricity is getting to it.

I have a service appointment in a few days. German customer service is not what you get in the US. I do not get seen until a week after this coming Monday. 20 November.

I came home and did more research, and I slowly crept the sunroof forward a slight touch on the switch about a dozen times. The sunroof has always been closed. But I can hear the sunroof actuating a Motor for about a half second. Once it stops making any noise after pressing the switch closed a dozen times, I held the button down until the system reset, and appeared to audibly open and close the sunroof fully as a system reset.

However, the sun shade never opened. Once I reset the system, I could not open the sunroof with the switch, or with the holding of the unlock button for express opening of all windows and the panoramic sunroof.

The sun shade is stuck in the fully closed position and has never moved. I have no idea how I left the dealership without pushing the sunroof button and testing it. I had an extensive appointment with the delivery representative and they went over everything I thought was possible, except the sunroof.

I really hope this was a coincidence, and that they did not know there was a problem, and just avoided telling me as to not ruin my delivery experience.

I feel quite disappointed. Has anyone ever had this problem with the sun shade? I feel like something was not installed correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
ifly
Cruising!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

I would let the dealership look at it unless you possibly want an exploding sunroof. Mine was misaligned from the factory and exploded on its own at highway speeds a month ago and had to argue with BMW before they agreed to replace at their cost. I had sticking and stuttering but of course it never displayed this symptom at the dealership!
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Sorry to hear this, as I told you the the German spec X vehicles from BMW Manufacturering US are looked over at Plant Dingolfing prior to release to German customers. I have 2 upcoming visits to the US PC, including factory tours, and I feel sorry for who ever gives the factory tour to my group as I'm going to press them hard about the quality issues being report in Germany for US manufactured X vehicles.

Hope it all works out!
      11-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly View Post
I would let the dealership look at it unless you possibly want an exploding sunroof. Mine was misaligned from the factory and exploded on its own at highway speeds a month ago and had to argue with BMW before they agreed to replace at their cost. I had sticking and stuttering but of course it never displayed this symptom at the dealership!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Sorry to hear this, as I told you the the German spec X vehicles from BMW Manufacturering US are looked over at Plant Dingolfing prior to release to German customers. I have 2 upcoming visits to the US PC, including factory tours, and I feel sorry for who ever gives the factory tour to my group as I'm going to press them hard about the quality issues being report in Germany for US manufactured X vehicles.

Hope it all works out!

Thank you both. I will just be patient and wait until Monday. Hopefully the repairs do not damage my brand new X5 M in any way. Ibiza, thank you for questioning BMW when you do the tour. I imagine the tour guide will not be equipped to give you any quality answers. Unfortunately my experience seems to give evidence that you were absolutely right. I hoped my dealership would properly inspect my vehicle. They had the vehicle from the moment it was dropped of by a truck, until the day of delivery to me that was nearly 7 days, including weekend days.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

BMW Stuttgart fixed it in a 24 hour time span only because they needed to order a part. The issue was the motor that operates the sunshade did not work. They replaced it. And everything works fine now.
Appreciate 0