BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

11-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #45
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X5 M Azurite Black AB FML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesquieu1748 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Quote:
Yeah. The autobahn is great when there is an open lane. I have been able to get other cars up to 155 mph. Some of the fastest cars you see are family wagons. I literally saw a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta crashed on the Autobahn yesterday. I guarantee it was because the Autobahn is almost always 2 lanes. The driving lane, and the passing lane. The rule is to stay to the right unless passing. Typically you get up to 130 mph, and some car doing 80 miles per hour gets in the fast lane to pass a car doing 79 mph. What a shame. I think an F12 is over $300k.

The real negative though is how much freight is shipped by truck in and through Germany. Also Stuttgart traffic is nearly the worst traffic on earth. The autobahn is flooded with trucks, where in the US, there is a lot more freight / materials moving cross country via train. Here the trains are more for people, where the US is more for material goods and resources.

The frequency of construction, or major autobahn intersections really slows you down too. There is a good strip south out of Stuttgart, heading to Switzerland that is where you can get the most speed near me.

For those that think that the autobahn is easy to drive fast on, there is a good article I recently read that did a great job describing the problems. I can probably find it and post a link if anyone wants it. In two and a half years of driving on the autobahns there a positives and negatives. It is awesome to do 120 for an hour when you are trying to get to another country, but it is rare. So much I like better on the roads here, but there is almost as much that is better in the US. A lot of trade offs.
Can u pretty please post photos of surround view (top) and b&o menus from idrive. Would like to know if smthg changed vs idrive 5. And of course congrats, car looks abs great! Also good story on f12.
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah. The autobahn is great when there is an open lane. I have been able to get other cars up to 155 mph. Some of the fastest cars you see are family wagons. I literally saw a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta crashed on the Autobahn yesterday. I guarantee it was because the Autobahn is almost always 2 lanes. The driving lane, and the passing lane. The rule is to stay to the right unless passing. Typically you get up to 130 mph, and some car doing 80 miles per hour gets in the fast lane to pass a car doing 79 mph. What a shame. I think an F12 is over $300k.

The real negative though is how much freight is shipped by truck in and through Germany. Also Stuttgart traffic is nearly the worst traffic on earth. The autobahn is flooded with trucks, where in the US, there is a lot more freight / materials moving cross country via train. Here the trains are more for people, where the US is more for material goods and resources.

The frequency of construction, or major autobahn intersections really slows you down too. There is a good strip south out of Stuttgart, heading to Switzerland that is where you can get the most speed near me.

For those that think that the autobahn is easy to drive fast on, there is a good article I recently read that did a great job describing the problems. I can probably find it and post a link if anyone wants it. In two and a half years of driving on the autobahns there a positives and negatives. It is awesome to do 120 for an hour when you are trying to get to another country, but it is rare. So much I like better on the roads here, but there is almost as much that is better in the US. A lot of trade offs.
Can u pretty please post photos of surround view (top) and b&o menus from idrive. Would like to know if smthg changed vs idrive 5. And of course congrats, car looks abs great! Also good story on f12.

Will do. It is nearly 10 pm here, but I will definitely take some photos tomorrow when there is some daylight.

Here are the photos of the Surround View Menu and Bang & Olufsen menus you asked for:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
P111563.00
1230vani648.50
      11-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #46
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Will do. It is nearly 10 pm here, but I will definitely take some photos tomorrow when there is some daylight.

Here are the photos of the Surround View Menu and Bang & Olufsen menus you asked for:
Thanks a lot!!! Really appreciate it!!!
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #47
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Found a 1st generation X5 M sibling to park next to last night.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
zjaiz180.00
      11-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #48
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

A couple photos in daylight, with the car relatively clean after getting the panoramic sunroof sunshade fixed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 03:29 AM   #49
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

I love the Azurite Black ...
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #50
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-am View Post
I love the Azurite Black ...
Thank you Cam-am. Is yours Carbon Black or Azurite? I wanted to show the way that even during the daylight overcast weather can make it look black.

And I wanted everyone to be able to see that when clean, even under a bright lamp post at night, you can see the blue coming out of the black at the right angle with the right lighting.

Here is a little bit closer up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #51
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Thank you Cam-am. Is yours Carbon Black or Azurite? I wanted to show the way that even during the daylight overcast weather can make it look black.

And I wanted everyone to be able to see that when clean, even under a bright lamp post at night, you can see the blue coming out of the black at the right angle with the right lighting.

That's some pretty bad marring for a brand new vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #52
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Mine is Carbonschwartz

Both fit well the X5M !
Appreciate 2
P111563.00
      11-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #53
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Quote:

That's some pretty bad marring for a brand new vehicle.
It was just a reflection actually. Not perfectly clean either. I do not know if it was coming off of the windshield or the mirror, but it was just a lot of light. Picture quality is not too good either. My eye saw it better than the camera.

Unfortunately this was a hurried shot with an iPhone. I did not have any DSLR, and I am not as great of a photographer as Can-am.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #54
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It was just a reflection actually. Not perfectly clean either. I do not know if it was coming off of the windshield or the mirror, but it was just a lot of light. Picture quality is not too good either. My eye saw it better than the camera.

Unfortunately this was a hurried shot with an iPhone. I did not have any DSLR, and I am not as great of a photographer as Can-am.
That's good to know. Good thing is that metallic paint is rather forgiving, so if you do have some marring, it's easy to correct.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #55
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's good to know. Good thing is that metallic paint is rather forgiving, so if you do have some marring, it's easy to correct.

Thank you. I am trying to find a good place to wash my car. In my neighborhood, and in most of Stuttgart, it is illegal to wash your car in your driveway or street. There are tons of automatic washes, but I do not want to put my Individual Azurite Black Metallic paint in one of those. A

I am stuck trying to use self spray car washes. They are few and far between, and I need a lot of extra gear when using them because there is no way to auto dry the car.

Still looking at options for a detail service.
Appreciate 1
HomeIn2326.00
      11-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #56
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. I am trying to find a good place to wash my car. In my neighborhood, and in most of Stuttgart, it is illegal to wash your car in your driveway or street. There are tons of automatic washes, but I do not want to put my Individual Azurite Black Metallic paint in one of those. A

I am stuck trying to use self spray car washes. They are few and far between, and I need a lot of extra gear when using them because there is no way to auto dry the car.

Do you have a garage? If so, have you thought about using products such as Optimum No Rinse? What you could do is power wash the vehicle at a place that provides this option, then drive home and do an Optimum No Rinse wash in your garage at home.

Also, why is washing your car illegal in most of Stuttgart?
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #57
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It is illegal in most European countries ...

Very silly laws.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #58
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It is illegal in most European countries ...

Very silly laws.
Really? Been washing my cars my entire life in Belgium and have never heard of this law. Maybe in Flanders we don't care
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #59
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do you have a garage? If so, have you thought about using products such as Optimum No Rinse? What you could do is power wash the vehicle at a place that provides this option, then drive home and do an Optimum No Rinse wash in your garage at home.

Also, why is washing your car illegal in most of Stuttgart?
I will definitely check out Optimum No Rinse.

I am an American in the military. When we arrive here we get some actual legal classes that advise us on some of the peculiar things that most folks from the US would not understand about Germany. Most of it revolves around neighbors. Quiet hours. Not doing things on your property that could cause complaints. However some things were just facts like, we carry pocket knives in the US, and here it could get us arrested depending on what type. Finally there are some things that are communicated like, Germans in Baden-Württemberg are very strict and complain about things that are out of place or correct you if you are doing something that is wrong or against a local policy. Our trash goes into something like 20 different bins based on type.

Finally, some things we are advised on are sort of do at your own risk. We were told washing your car in your neighborhood is not allowed. The oil, dirt, brake dust, and soaps and harsh chemicals are going to end up in the ground water. We are not even supposed to was our bio bin out. I am gone from sunrise to sunset. But between my wife and I, we have never seen a neighbor washing their car in their driveway or in the street.
Appreciate 1
P111563.00
      11-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #60
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Really? Been washing my cars my entire life in Belgium and have never heard of this law. Maybe in Flanders we don't care
It is also like this in the french part of the country , and also in France , Germany , Switzerland ...

But no one cares.

I do wash my car at home ; it doesn't disturb anyone.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #61
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It is also like this in the french part of the country , and also in France , Germany , Switzerland ...

But no one cares.

I do wash my car at home ; it doesn't disturb anyone.
My neighbors care. Unfortunately. I think I could get away with the product P1et recommended. I ordered it already.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #62
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Some photos after an early morning snow, and later morning rain that washed it away. Need to pick up all my car cleaning materials when I get home and get it clean. Will try out Optimum No Rinse!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
P111563.00
      12-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #63
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

More snow, then rain that froze it all to the X5 M. The roads are covered in snow/ice treatment getting water and de-icing solution all over the car and the underbody. Makes me dislike this weather this time of year. It is brand new, and always so dirty.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
P111563.00
      12-09-2017, 12:07 AM   #64
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Gorgeous machine...
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #65
lvit01
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

Beautiful color combination, awesome car.

Do you ever miss Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Full Merino Leather combination? I've read some of your posts, it appears that you went through a few black cars. I need to place an order very soon, and I'm stuck with the color choices. I've had a BSM/Black Full Merino E70, and liked it a lot. I'm currently driving Carbon Black Metallic/Moca Leather F15, and like it too, but I really miss all black car appearance. I will probably never go with anything non-black, considering going a little more blue - Azurite or back to Black Sapphire Metallic.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #66
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvit01 View Post
Beautiful color combination, awesome car.

Do you ever miss Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Full Merino Leather combination? I've read some of your posts, it appears that you went through a few black cars. I need to place an order very soon, and I'm stuck with the color choices. I've had a BSM/Black Full Merino E70, and liked it a lot. I'm currently driving Carbon Black Metallic/Moca Leather F15, and like it too, but I really miss all black car appearance. I will probably never go with anything non-black, considering going a little more blue - Azurite or back to Black Sapphire Metallic.
If I had the choice, it would be Azurite over BSM...
Appreciate 1