BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-31-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

RK Autowerks F85/F86 X5M/X6M intakes design

Hey guys,

We have had a lot of demand to develop intakes for the F85/F86. We're pleased to announce we're nearing the completion of our intakes!

As with all our intakes, we use OEM level equipment and design to ensure we get everything we can out of our product. For those not familiar with us, our design process goes like this.

1) 3d scan stock vehicle
2) Reverse engineer vehicle to ensure no MAF/design issues, guaranteed fitment, ease of installation
3) 3d printed to ensure there was nothing overlooked in the design phase
4) Dyno tested and flow bench tested
5) Final version is produced out of pre-preg carbon fiber. This is not to be confused with the average product you find nowadays, we use aerospace grade carbon and everything is produce in an autoclave. This ensures you receive exactly the same product as our CAD design, MAF housing is part of the carbon, no metal maf port, and this keeps heat transfer down because the entire unit is carbon.

We will update this thread with dyno numbers, videos, and pictures of the final product. We're looking to have a carbon fiber piece in hand by end of next week, if everything goes based off our current schedule.

-R

IMG_3927

IMG_3931

Intakes Installed by razahyde18, on Flickr

stock intake box

Intakes Removed

Here is one of the iterations before i changed the design some more. Skipping the 3d print for this final design and jumping straight to carbon.
IMG_4043

Last edited by Sales@RKautowerks; 08-01-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

For those interested in final quality, here are some pics of our X5M, M3, and M5 intakes.

IMG_4003

IMG_3954

IMG_2776
Appreciate 1
d_v_o_1111.00
      07-31-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Nice. Any Dyno numbers on the M5 intake ?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
BMWadrenaline
@BMWADRENALINE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine X5M

SIGN ME UP!! F85, Been waiting forever for an intake you can hear, Dinan is worthless.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016-X5M 2018-M4 Comp 2024-X5

Here is a problem, it's not only about the intake, yes Donna might be "silent" sort to speak, but if you taking more air in you have to give it room to move out, it's not only just the Intake it's the whole system that will need some sort of modification, and it's not only exhaust, DMEs has a huge role to play also in all of this. Raza good luck with that intake.

If you still work at powerhaus I'd not recommend posting here because I will personally trash that place with all its problems and how they do business there one word, SCAMMERS!
      08-01-2017, 04:20 AM   #6
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M F85 Akra, RaceChip

it seems like their gains are 20-25 HP per the run they did on an E70/E71 X5M/X6M:

@BMWadrenaline I just installed Dinan intake bought from r33_RGSport plus I bought my RC from them too. the combination of RC, Dinan intake and Akra exhaust +95 pump gas will take your breath away

I have been running RC and Akra for at least 13000 miles and I just added Dinan CAI and I could notice the difference right away. I think if you go with Dinan only, the difference in performance will be marginal
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 05:43 AM   #7
BMWadrenaline
@BMWADRENALINE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine X5M

I have catless and JB4 with BMC filters, Dinan intake wont make any difference, maybe 10hp tops, I want more sound from turbos/engine, and Dinan doesnt deliver in that department.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:04 AM   #8
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Looks nice. It doesn't have to be carbon tho i think.
      08-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #9
TTyza
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Any idea on price point here? If I was making this intake personally I would offer a plastic option as well for those that don't care about the aesthetics and would be much more marketable/affordable, you guys are the pros just my .02, keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

There is another vendor making an intake similar to this one and from what i gather online that its been delayed because an intake like this was causing the DME to have throttle closures all over the place. Is this not an issue for your intake or has this not been tested yet?

For those with dinan and want more sound just leave the filter cover off or just buy the dinan filters and trim the stock cover to allow more sound through. You will also allow more heat in though.
      08-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #11
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Not yet, soon as i have some i will report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWadrenaline View Post
SIGN ME UP!! F85, Been waiting forever for an intake you can hear, Dinan is worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djvolume View Post
Here is a problem, it's not only about the intake, yes dinan might be "silent" sort to speak, but if you taking more air in you have to give it room to move out, it's not only just the Intake it's the whole system that will need some sort of modification, and it's not only exhaust, DMEs has a huge role to play also in all of this. Raza good luck with that intake.

If you still work at powerhaus I'd not recommend posting here because I will personally trash that place with all its problems and how they do business there one word, SCAMMERS!
I'd have to disagree with you on the intake system and why/how it makes power. It's not specifically about "more air" here because we're referring to a turbo application. More air was what we were dealing with with a N/A application. On N/A cars there was no density change so you were relying on accelerating the flow, or resonance tuning, to slam the flow back into the engines valves/pistons/cylinders. With a turbo application that has properly designed intakes, you at no point "increase flow." The turbo dictates how much air is going into the engine, the MAF tells it the literally just that, the mass of airflow. The key is to get the turbos to work less moving the efficiency island. The exhaust and intakes are a choke point on a turbo vehicle, with a reduction in pressure drop on the intake side, you by engine nature get a reduction on the exhaust side because the torque model base calibration is demanding X-HP. Since we have reduced the amount of work necessary on the intake side, the turbine side works less. You need to remember that there is no such thing as free energy, the turbo is a massive cork that the engine needs to overcome to run. Yes we are recycling the energy, but even that is not "free."

Long story short, it's about delta pressure reduction, not increasing the amount of flow.

and no i've been in Dallas for a while, making the move to LA this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesummer View Post
Looks nice. It doesn't have to be carbon tho i think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTyza View Post
Any idea on price point here? If I was making this intake personally I would offer a plastic option as well for those that don't care about the aesthetics and would be much more marketable/affordable, you guys are the pros just my .02, keep us updated!
Price point will most likely be to the same as all our other intakes. A plastic version is not an option here because the mold cost is much greater than carbon. This is a low volume product so we stick to carbon for that reason. To give you a rough idea, whatever the mold costs for carbon, a plastic mold is 4-5x that. The part in plastic is 10x less than the carbon. But that requires the volume game and we all know these trucks are very rare. It would make sense for a 335i, not the X-M series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
There is another vendor making an intake similar to this one and from what i gather online that its been delayed because an intake like this was causing the DME to have throttle closures all over the place. Is this not an issue for your intake or has this not been tested yet?

For those with dinan and want more sound just leave the filter cover off or just buy the dinan filters and trim the stock cover to allow more sound through. You will also allow more heat in though.
Not an issue for us, sounds like that vendor did not replicate the MAF section properly. We have never had any issues with our intakes having MAF closure. The height of the MAF, circumference, and location all make a difference.

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #12
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Woops, just realized you asked about M5 intake numbers, we picked up at 25-35whp, depending on the stock intake configuration. The M5 came with 3 different configurations which is why you see that spread.

-R
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #13
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza@RKautowerks View Post
Woops, just realized you asked about M5 intake numbers, we picked up at 25-35whp, depending on the stock intake configuration. The M5 came with 3 different configurations which is why you see that spread.

-R
What is the rwhp increase for the 2016 M5 ?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #14
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What is the rwhp increase for the 2016 M5 ?
We see about 30WHP.

-R
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #15
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Test fitting the final version today! Will post pictures and dyno numbers.

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #16
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

intake

waiting patiently for the release of this intake. Running your setup on my m4.

my m4 on RC and intake produced very little power and noise. But after full tune Bm3 things changed with the intake. intake induction sound increased dramatically and sounds like a angry dragon about to spit fire on some Lansters.

boost makes a huge different on intake systems. your HP gain will prob not be enough to justify the price but the sound is worth every penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza@RKautowerks View Post

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 10:29 PM   #17
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
waiting patiently for the release of this intake. Running your setup on my m4.

my m4 on RC and intake produced very little power and noise. But after full tune Bm3 things changed with the intake. intake induction sound increased dramatically and sounds like a angry dragon about to spit fire on some Lansters.

boost makes a huge different on intake systems. your HP gain will prob not be enough to justify the price but the sound is worth every penny.
Thanks for the input!

We were able to pickup pretty good power with the E7x generation XM series, hoping for the same with this generation. Will let you know as soon as we know!

-R
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #18
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M & E63 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJudyMoncada View Post
So what's the update. It's been over 4 months.

Member Ehloo posted his. Here’s the link.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1433702
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 12:12 AM   #19
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M F85 Akra, RaceChip

Sales@RKautowerks I am worried about excessive dust going into the engine. I live in a hot climate weather and it can get dusty/sandy. What is your take on that?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 04:02 AM   #20
ejholt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SRT Viper / M3 / X6M / Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@RKautowerks View Post

Thanks
-R
Pics & Dyno #s on the F86?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #21
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBX5M View Post
Sales@RKautowerks I am worried about excessive dust going into the engine. I live in a hot climate weather and it can get dusty/sandy. What is your take on that?
Excessive dust into the engine? That should never be a concern with this, we use OEM equivalent filters to avoid this ever being an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejholt View Post
Pics & Dyno #s on the F86?
Member ehloo has posted images in this thread.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1433702

-R
Appreciate 0