BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

11-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #23
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

My wife also has stated that the fake manual/DCT style shifter is pointless and more of annoyance than anything else. She would like to add to the thread by saying a tradition shifter would be a plus and would not take away from the driving experience since the current one is a placebo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
Give me a real DCT. the zf is great, but the driving experience is not close.
There is milliseconds of a difference. Majority of the drivers would never even notice that unless every one of your 1/4-1/2 were timed and you got a slip at every stoplight. The 8AT is insanely quick for a traditional automatic.

Quote:
structurally i doubt the carbon roof will ever be an option on the x5m.
Agreed. The top heavy nature of the vehicle would make it a roll-over candidate and that alone would give NHTSA a boner for failing it and making it have a standard roof unless the passenger seats had convertible style headrests or reinforcements behind them which is extremely doubtful and would not look very good in a sedan/suv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117 View Post
M performance exhaust option that isn't stupid expensive and outsourced to akropovic simply because it's titanium. The weight savings are laudable on an SUV so just make it out of the same stainless steel and give it some sound without making us pay Ferrari sports exhaust prices.
Exactly. Despite the system being the weight of an anchor on a SunDancer there really would be no purpose to an M-Performance exhaust except for improving the sound. I have been curious since day one why they didn't even offer one for the 50i.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 11:19 PM   #24
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
There is milliseconds of a difference. Majority of the drivers would never even notice that unless every one of your 1/4-1/2 were timed and you got a slip at every stoplight. The 8AT is insanely quick for a traditional automatic.
I am not talking about the shift speeds.

The ZF 8 has a few significant deficiencies vs the Getrag DCT 7 speed in my M3.

1. harshness/inconsistency- zf8 in s3 mode is harsh. even going 8th-7th change can invoke gear change harshness. It can also be very smooth, really rather inconsistent. The DCT in my M3 is smooth all day long unless you downshift to 1st gear or 2nd on at high rpms, which can be rough, but anyone who drives a manual can understand why you don't do that to begin with.

2. multi gear change requests- The zf-8 on a 3 gear drop down is this: 7th-6th-4th. The DCT on my m3 is 7th-4th and instantaneous, AND is willing to do it all day long without any hesitation. I drive manually 90% of the time, the X5M zf has overheated on me, and refused to downshift gears after a full days worth of manual driving.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      11-14-2017, 07:15 AM   #25
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

My apologies for misunderstanding and I agree. The refinement is lacking and the shifts on a true DCT do not jostle the passengers.
Appreciate 1
dkhm31880.50
      11-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #26
foldpages
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020

Garage List
2020 AMG E63 S  [0.00]
2020 Jeep Wrangler  [0.00]
2017 X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
1. 600HP M5 engine
2. CLAR/Updates designed to delete 300lbs.
3. 2wd option for easy Dyno.
4. Lightweight option that includes a full Carbon Fiber roof (I don’t need glass), ceramic brakes, Titanium exhaust and a rear lithium battery. Should drop another 150lbs.
5. No steering “click”.
6. No brake noise.

Those enhancements would drop the 0-60mph to 3.40 seconds and the 1/4 mile to 11.50 (BEFORE RACECHIP !)

What do YOU want ?

BMW watches this board, so let them know what you want !
22" factory wheels would look great. I find on the current generation even 21" is a bit too small. GLE 63 Coupe comes with 22" and they look awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 10:49 PM   #27
botis1028
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M & F10 M5

Quote:
Give me a real DCT. the zf is great, but the driving experience is not close.

Make the v8 punch harder at the top end, I hit the rev limiter because that engine does a poor job of peaking and conveying the rpms during wot. I never hit the rev limiter on the m3 because that engine feels amazing.
You’ll never get true DCT on an SUV/SAV because of towing.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #28
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

I may be in the minority here but I don't really think more power is needed. Unless they are going over top of the Trackhawk just to say they can, then really no need.

I want revolutionary upgrades to everything related to handling and response.

1. The transmission needs major upgrading, including the programming. The ZF is only passable in setting 3, every other setting is almost dangerous in the sluggishness.

2. The single piston rear brakes are embarrassing on a vehicle of this caliber, cost, and stature. At least move to a dual piston rear brake, preferable 4 piston.

3. Car needs lowered in stock form. Not much maybe 1/4 inch or so

4. Launch Control easier to use

5. 1 more 'M' memory button.

Additionally BMW needs to make a serious effort to catch Audi in interior tech. No need to list things out, just look at the interior tech in the SQ5, copy it, and slap an M badge on it.
      11-15-2017, 01:17 AM   #29
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by botis1028 View Post
You’ll never get true DCT on an SUV/SAV because of towing.
I would hope they develop something soon, I have driven the Macan GTS and the PDK there works wonderfully.

I have also driven the Aisen 8 speed on my father's '17 Cayenne GTS (not the new one just out). The ZF is much better. Actually, our ZF8 is the best torque converter automatic tranny I have ever driven.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S

Last edited by dkhm3; 11-15-2017 at 01:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 06:04 AM   #30
botis1028
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M & F10 M5

Candidly, this engine feels better than my 2015 F10 M5.

The shift points are totally different, engine feels tighter on downshifts, and while maybe not as “quick”, it’s one of the best automatic transmissions I’ve ever driven.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #31
Skyracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

Go back to hydraulic steering assist. (I know this will never happen)...

Agree with above comment on shift lever. Gimmicky IMO. And I frankly can't understand how not having a park position/button got past the American safety nannies!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #32
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Less weight.
Heavier steering.
Virtual Cockpit.
Adaptive Cruise Ctrl.
Bring Back Massage Seats.
M-Performance Exhaust Option.
Spot on.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      11-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #33
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
M performance exhaust option that isn't stupid expensive and outsourced to akropovic simply because it's titanium. The weight savings are laudable on an SUV so just make it out of the same stainless steel and give it some sound without making us pay Ferrari sports exhaust prices.

Carbon fiber roof would be silly on the X models. Maybe the x6M.

The cars are already making 640+ hp according to Dinan's engine dyno so power isn't an issue.

If we really want serious weight savings then a CCB option like Porsche has would be nice but in reality you don't get the performance unless it's on track.

If everyone's really serious about weight savings then use the same carbon core tech used on the 7 series. No need for a cfrp roof, 8k titanium exhaust or 9k ccb's. Save 350 to 400lbs right there.

More comfortable seats. The seats in my f10 M5's were much more comfy than these seats. Though these look really cool, the other seats had a much nicer head rest that could be adjusted.

The transmission could be smoother. Get rid of the ridiculous park brake or whatever it has to disengage to accelerate after a full stop. Really drives me and i'm assuming everyone else crazy lol.

No more wheel bearing ticking.

Make black wheels an option from the first year.
Agree with this- comments on weight savings puzzle me a bit.

I'd like adjustable ride height, less wheel gap and to dispense with the faux DCT and have the ZF8 behave like a regular-way automatic (no rolling, etc). I don't need this thing pretending to be something that it's not.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      11-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #34
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
Quote:

Carbon fiber roof would be silly on the X models. Maybe the x6M.

The cars are already making 640+ hp according to Dinan's engine dyno so power isn't an issue.

If we really want serious weight savings then a CCB option like Porsche has would be nice but in reality you don't get the performance unless it's on track.

If everyone's really serious about weight savings then use the same carbon core tech used on the 7 series. No need for a cfrp roof, 8k titanium exhaust or 9k ccb's. Save 350 to 400lbs right there.

More comfortable seats. The seats in my f10 M5's were much more comfy than these seats. Though these look really cool, the other seats had a much nicer head rest that could be adjusted.

The transmission could be smoother. Get rid of the ridiculous park brake or whatever it has to disengage to accelerate after a full stop. Really drives me and i'm assuming everyone else crazy lol.

No more wheel bearing ticking.

Make black wheels an option from the first year.
Agree with this- comments on weight savings puzzle me a bit.

I'd like adjustable ride height, less wheel gap and to dispense with the faux DCT and have the ZF8 behave like a regular-way automatic (no rolling, etc). I don't need this thing pretending to be something that it's not.
I was kinda rambling there but people had mentioned weight. So if we want little bits and pieces to be lighter than we will have to spend a crazy amount on those options like the ccb's, titanium exhaust, etc... If we want the car to be a ringer and keep that attractive price point then the carbon core architecture would be ideal and there would be no need for those pricy options. But doing carbon core would mean bmw has to do it for all the X models. It isn't feasible or cost effective for them to make it just for the M cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 03:46 AM   #35
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Adding to the previous excellent suggestions:

1. Redesign instrument cluster for visibility: with my normal 6ft height and a normal seating position my steering wheel hides the most useful top arc of my speedometer and rev counter - really annoying and no workaround

2. Make the HUD visible with polarized glasses - I know it's hard but I have faith in ingenuity :-)

3. Redesign the M-view on the HUD, currently nice & colorful, but not useful for fast driving

4. Lower the center of gravity - and offer weight difference info about the normal vs glass roof in the configurator

5. Add time graphs in the power & torque sport displays - and lateral g's too

6. Redesign the phone cradle: for instance, a slot where to drop the iPhone leaving only 1/2" visible, vertically in the armrest or horizontal under the nav screen - with a voice reminder to take it out when you park

7. Offer voice warnings (i.e., "LOW FUEL") instead of bongs & chimes who distract the driver trying to figure out what happened by scanning the instrument cluster - and make that voice quite different from the NAV one, to immediately distinguish the type of message

8. Show outside & inside air % of humidity

9. Offer a more intelligent, Siri-like voice command interface with an interactive first time tutorial session and shorter reviews if needed

10. Allow for a wider customization of the active damping system, f.i. the down/up damping ratio

11. In addition to the M1 and M2 on the steering wheel, offer storage for more M-type customizations (at least 5) recallable via the iDrive or voice command

12. Offer & store for each driver profile a choice of simple or complex iDrive interface

13. Allow more control on "quiet" and "open" exhaust mode - one should be able to use WOT without annoying people (and cops) around - and "quiet" should be quieter.

14. Many of the points above may be offered as an "enhanced driver interface" option - I would be willing to pay extra for it.

15. And finally... the ability, via iDrive, to cancel the remote trunk door opening command on the key. I was already lucky once, finding an unintended open trunk after a full day in an airport parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 03:57 AM   #36
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X5 M Azurite Black AB FML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louv View Post
I think you mean "What do you want on the Generation of X5M/X6M *after* the F95 generation.

The F95 prototype vehicles are already on the road. That means the feature set has been determined a few years ago. It's MUCH too late to influence the F95 (except in very minor ways: Colors of leather... tire choice... etc.).
I thought I read it is referred to as the G05 next generation X5 platform. Where did F95 come from?

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/11/04/ne...-might-looker/
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #37
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Ok. I saw on another forum that it is expected to be F95. It is just I do not understand the code name naming convention. I thought it started off as a E53, then E70, then F15, then finally an F85/F86 variant of the F15. Knowing that the next gen X5 was going to be G05, I did not expect it to fall back under FXX naming convention.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #38
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Finally. Now that I have answered my own unnecessary questions.

I have a few things that I would like to see BMW work into a future X5 M platform.

1. Lighter weight. When the F85 first came out in a 2015 model it used some of the same underpinnings as the previous X5 M. It was not a full redesign. The Porsche Cayenne has been lighter for several years. The F85 outperformed everything in its class initially, even the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. Literally about one year later Porsche and Mercedes-Benz dialed up the horsepower and surpassed the current generation X5 M, which leads me to...

2. More power. The second generation X5 M came out and outclassed the competition. The next generation needs to equal that accomplishment. Why is there a competition package for M3/M4, but not for X5 M? Who buys this SUV and thinks I would not pay for more power? I think there will be some more power in the version that the new M5 will share with the next X5 M, but I think it only lists at 600 hp.

3. Fully Digital LED Instrument Cluster. Virtual cockpit, whatever you want to call it. Audi and Land Rover are killing our instrument cluster in terms of technology and customization. They are downright sexy. Looks like the new M5 has a full digital instrument cluster that will surely be shared with the next X5 M. same goes for the gear shift knob in the M5. It has the park button.

4. Better Seats. Competition has massage functionality. These M seats are well bolstered, and the heating and ventilation systems are good. However, when you are driving across Europe, having massage settings would add to the luxury of being in a $120k car. The normal X5 seats are more customizable, specifically the headrest functionality and comfort. I know it is an M car, but if someone wants luxury features, have it as an option. If someone wants lightweight buckets for weight saving have it as an option.

5. Better Mirrors. Redesign the Mirrors and the LED Blind Spot Warning Triangles. Coming from Audi recently, my Q7 has large mirrors and three large LED lamps that shine more clearly and brighter when you have someone in your blind spot. The flash on the Audi when you are attempting to cross lanes with someone in your blind spot is far superior. I barely notice the small warning triangle on the X5 M when being accustomed to the Audi version. The mirrors on the X5 M are large from the frontside, but the mirrors themselves are recessed into the body of the housing, and could be slightly larger if they were more flush to the size of the housing itself instead of recessed.

6. Second Row. Again, coming from my Audi Q7, there is a little more room in the second row. The second row should be adjustable. Allow the second row to slide forward and backward on the X5 M. Allow your heels to slide backwards under the second row seats a bit, instead of having that wall. There is some adjustments on the X5 with third row. Why not the X5 M. Allow the angle of the seat backs to be reclined slightly. My Q7 has all of this. My rear seat entertainment (RSE) system on the X5 M has huge screens and some people are uncomfortable that the screens are so close to their faces that their vision is upset by the closeness of the image being displayed. 2-3 extra inches goes a long way. The RSE could be more flush to the seat too. It extends a good amount away from the seat compounding the issue. Why is there no place to put the RSE remote! The armrest should have a storage compartment.

7. Rear Doors. The angle at which the doors open, combined with the second row leg room, and the positioning of the rear fender well all create a hard time getting in and out of the second row. The Full Merino Leather is being scuffed up by rear seat passengers with long legs as they swing their legs out of the car.

8. Rear Storage. In the cargo area, when you lift up the floor you see an unfinished storage space with a crappy emergency spare tire. Audi has a storage tray that both provides utility, and conceals the emergency spare tire and has a carpeted area underneath the spare in case you removed it and wanted more concealed storage space.

9. BMW Individual. There are barely any Individual options at all. I purchased Azurite Black Metallic, and it was the only option. The Spartanburg factory needs to up its game in the paint department. I really like my Aragon Brown Full Merino Leather, but there really needs to be an extra layer of customization on the X5 M straight from the assembly line. Why do I have to order an aftermarket part for the cheap black plastic that surrounds the gear shift and M specific buttons on the center hump? Could my carbon fiber trim not have included that from the factory?

10. Sport Exhaust. Have you ever driven a Porsche or AMG? Need I say more? Can we get an exhaust that deliveres great power and sounds good? This exhaust is great. A bit heavy, but it works well. The sound leaves a lot to be desired.

11. Adaptive Cruise Control. How can a $120k top of the line model not have features the base model is offered. If you sat in as many traffic jams (stau) as I do in Germany, you would lose sleep over not having a car that can be told the following distance, brake itself, and come to a full stop, and then go again with no limit on speed under 120 kph.

12. Door Sills. Options for Illuminated, Carbon Fiber, and personalized door sill guards.

13. Exterior Trim. Make shadow line exterior trim comprehensive. If someone wants black trim includ the front grilles and the side vents, as well as the roof rails and other badging. If they go for the Satin Aluminum like I did, they get everything in silver such as the grilles and the badging.

14. Worldwide Maps. Why did I have to pay to convert my X5 M to have European Maps for the year I will remain in Europe, then have to pay to get US Maps installed back on the system. I can buy an aftermarket navigation system for the world, but the entire system only has space for US or Europe but not both? That is not a technology issue. The car could have much more hard drive space with no other consequences.

15. Sun Shades. The front driver and passenger sun shades are very rudimentary. I have seen cars with two or three advanced features that are much better. Dual folds, or slide out extensions, or even electric solutions. Same goes for the manual sunshades on the rear doors. Make them electric. Add a sun shade for the rear cargo hatch too.

16. Aerodynamics. Improve the front and rear fascias. Performance options like carbon fiber front lip and rear diffuser. Improve the rear spoiler integrated into the rear hatch.

17. Suspension. More options. I have 5-6 options on my Audi Q7 from Dynamic and Sporty all the way to lifted and off-road. This allows for the sport plus setting at the sportiest, but also allows for extra ground clearance when really needed to avoid damaging the front fascia or the rocker panels, etc.

18. Audio System. More bass.

19. Steering Wheel. More options. Keep as is but allow the same functionality of heating with more than just leather, such as carbon fiber, alcantara, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #39
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

I enjoy reading all of the comments. No doubt there are real M enthusiasts on this board. I also want an active aero panel in the dead panel above the rear hatch. Could easily adapt that with the carbon roof.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 09:19 AM   #40
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

I'm overall very pleased with my F85. A few quick thoughts for the next generation:

Power:
At this point, it's honestly silly to want/need more, but I'll take it. It's more of a pissing contest between manufacturers, as this much power is hardly usable for day-to-day.

Tech:
I still think BMW has the best aesthetics in this category. I'd prefer they abandon their GPS source, however, and just go to Google. I always end up using Google Maps on my phone, as it provides better/faster directions 99% of the time. Android support is essentially non-existent, so I have no hope for that ever changing.

Appearance:
Overall, I'm pleased with the current generation. Probably drop the ride height a bit. My macroscopic view, though, is that Mercedes has been killing it lately in all segments. I appreciate that BMW (and M) have always had a more refined beast look and feel. However, the visceral/guttural essence of AMG is getting harder and harder to ignore (considering my future purchases). Sure, not everyone wants an Eisenmann race sounding exhaust, but many do. Make it an easily accessible option, or electronic switchable option (e.g. Jag).

Other:
  • More space for sunglasses, etc. in small space left of steering wheel
  • DVD controls from front screen! I know DOT regulations don't allow one to watch movies on the front screen in a moving vehicle, but it's very frustrating to use the remote and blindly make selections from the front (considering the RSE being used for a toddler/child)
  • Rear seat adjustment/slide
  • HUD visible with polarized glasses
  • Remote start
  • Actual cooled ventilation for seats
  • Adaptive cruise/lane correction options
  • Kick open rear
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #41
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

F95 X5 M is confirmed as MY2020

Bummer....will have to wait until Fall 2019. I had hoped for a Fall 2018 debut. Will be held a year like last time.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 09:39 AM   #42
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

1. Active driving Plus (semiautonomous driving for those times I want to chill out, mostly during my commute), but allow it to follow closer than my G30 does. Here in LA people just keep filling the large gap that gets created and my car has to keep braking.

2. Quieter A/C

3. Massaging Seats

4. My F15 and my current F85 both make a high pitch sound at freeway speeds that comes from front axel, wheel bearings, something. That needs to get fixed.

5. Adjustable exhaust note, because sometimes it's fun to make it loud!

6. Active camera security system that starts recording immediately after the car is bumped, both when I'm driving and when it's parked in a parking lot. The cameras are already there and so is the hard drive!

7. Built in radar detector.

8. Keep the B&O. I like the sound much better than the B&W in my G30.

9. Don't screw up the kidney gills like the prototype X7. That would just be a deal breaker and I'd have to skip a generation.
Appreciate 0