BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

08-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #23
Flash2k7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

I think the B&O system is getting a lot more abuse than it deserves. The source input matters a great deal. It's significantly better with a high quality source, and setup with the proper distribution. I find that the default studio/surround settings just aren't quite right. They're decent but you need to really dial in the settings and it can sound pretty fantastic.

Definitely the best production car audio system I've ever owned. I think the B&O in the F10 M5 sounds better, but I think this really boils down to the harmonics of the vehicle itself. The sound distribution and acoustics caused by the design of the interior has a much better feel in the M5 than the X5M.

Both are great, but do require tuning. Once tuned with a high quality source, it's pretty fantastic for a production car system.
Appreciate 4
TonySCV509.00
Chadmatic660.50
1230vani637.00
K-no251.00
      08-14-2017, 10:08 PM   #24
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash2k7 View Post
I think the B&O system is getting a lot more abuse than it deserves. The source input matters a great deal. It's significantly better with a high quality source, and setup with the proper distribution. I find that the default studio/surround settings just aren't quite right. They're decent but you need to really dial in the settings and it can sound pretty fantastic.

Definitely the best production car audio system I've ever owned. I think the B&O in the F10 M5 sounds better, but I think this really boils down to the harmonics of the vehicle itself. The sound distribution and acoustics caused by the design of the interior has a much better feel in the M5 than the X5M.

Both are great, but do require tuning. Once tuned with a high quality source, it's pretty fantastic for a production car system.
I tend to agree with Flash. I see a lot of negative comments about this system but to me for a factory installed system it sounds fantastic. No, it does not sound as good as the system in my boat or home theater but who wants 7, 8, 10 and 12 inch woofers all over the place? It would look like crap in a vehicle like this. It's a pretty amazing system for how well it is integrated into this vehicle in my opinion. I also did some tweaking to get it dialed in. I agree as others have stated that the source makes a big difference.

So here is my dumb question? Where are these 16 speakers? I count 8 on all the doors and 2 on the dash. Where are the other 6?

Mines a week old so I am still learning.
Appreciate 1
1230vani637.00
      08-15-2017, 06:46 AM   #25
Jenner
///M
Rep
Drives: M8C/Taycan Turbo/Roadster 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
So here is my dumb question? Where are these 16 speakers? I count 8 on all the doors and 2 on the dash. Where are the other 6?
4 = 1 tweeter on each door
4 = 1 mid on each door
2 = 1 tweeter in each "D" pillar (in trunk)
2 = 1 mid in each "D" pillar (in trunk)
2 = 1 Subwoofer (8") under each front seat
1 = 1 tweeter pop up on dash
1 = 1 mid pop up on dash
Appreciate 2
vics6.50
ajob454.50
      08-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #26
Jenner
///M
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I have found this to be the case with B&O in almost every vehicle I have had it in. It is clear at any level but it lacks bass no matter how you configure the EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiom6 View Post
I agree that the B&O is lacking in the bass department.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastelid View Post
i wouldn't mind if it had the bass response of my home stereo, which is really defined and fast
It's easy to see most people complain about B&O lacking bass. The joke I heard was that B&O stands for Bass for Old people.

I had B&O in a B8.5 Audi S4 and it had the same problem no bass. I also currently have B&O in an Audi Q5 and the bass is acceptable but not great. Just like iconoclast said it's clear at all levels but lacks bass. The speakers are decent (way better than BOSE) and the amps are really quality. B&O has designed a system that will play loud and clear. I find this to be true to B&O no matter what car it is installed nor how much the upgrade cost ($800 in S4, $500 in Q5, $3700 in F85 )

In the S4 I replaced the 8ohm joke of a 10" sub (really a 8" sub in a 10" footprint) with a $100 Kicker 4ohm sub. The weight and magnet of the Kicker was triple what came out. The reduction in resistance to 4ohm increased the power output of the B&O amp and it handled this massive 10" woofer no problem. The bass went from almost nothing to incredible. Best $100 upgrade I ever did to a car. The amp handled it all day long never missed a beat, never overheated or did anything funny in the 2 years I had the setup.

So when I got my F85 I found I had the same issue with B&O...lack of bass overall but especially at low volume. No matter what you do with the bass setting and EQ there isn't anything at normal listening levels. The B&O subs can make some bass with the right music and with the system CRANKED but then everything else is so loud it is TOO loud and still out of balance. Plus with the bass dial maxed it gets too boomy and sounds funny. I wanted to have some bass while being able to play the system at normal levels with my family in the car and be able to have a conversation as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejholt View Post
I just installed the aftermarket BavSound Ghost Subwoofer hoping to gain some more bottom end, as they claim 2x the Bass. Quite honestly I haven't seen any gains and disappointed with the end result.
I'm sorry you wasted your money on BAVSound. I wish you could get your money back. I believe they brag about their "100 Day In-Car Trial + Free Returns with every order" so maybe you can still return them? There is no way for you to get 2x the bass keeping the ohms the same and the amps the same. It's just not possible.

When I came across the BAVSound Ghost sub and I thought wow this is great ez mode drop in replacement and someone else already solved the problem. I also noticed how low profile the subs were and figured BAV was the only choice due to the odd sub shape/style and factory wiring connector.

But I did not like the specs (or lack of) I did not like that they were 8ohm and I certainly did not like the price. It also didn't look like that much of an improvement in terms of air moved/woofer travel. So I decided to investigate on my own.

I removed the passenger seat bolts and leaned it back against the rear seats so I didn't have to disconnect anything. Removed the grill, then the cage and got down to the sub and it's mount. Pulled that out and removed the connector and realized there was no way I was dropping a "normal" 8" sub in this spot. But it did confirm that the stock sub is a joke and has barely any woofer travel so it's just not going to move a lot of air. I was surprised at how heavy it was, but once you get it out you realize it's just using a huge cheap magnet and the cage that holds it in is designed around just that.

But at least I had an idea of what I was working with and the sub design is VERY cool how the body of the car acts as an enclosure and they have a ported "tube" that runs along the side of the car (under the carpet by the doors).

So I started searching and came across this one company in CA called Earthquake Sound that has a drop in subwoofers for BMWs and has all these patents on their design and uses neodymium magnets so it doesn't have to be so huge and heavy but still can handle power. 300w power handling 4ohm and 1.5" woofer travel had me at hello, but most importantly it was drop in fitment for this location.

Amazon has everything you need:

Earthquake Sound X84SWS 8-inch Shallow Woofer System Under-the-Seat Subwoofers 4-Ohm (Pair) $230
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X41HPJJ/

and

Earthquake Sound R8SWS Installation Ring Adapter for Speakers (Pair) $25:
https://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-So...dp/B00G2MKGOU/

So for about $250 you have everything you need. Half the cost of BAVSound and more importantly half the ohms! (4 instead of 8) Now you can actually double your bass

Here are the trade offs: You have to do a tiny bit more work than the BAV upgrade because you have to cut off the OEM subwoofer connector to use the bare wiring. Not a big deal and I think most of us would just leave these in the car and not bother to swap back to stock parts (but you could get the factory subs to work with the bare wiring if you needed/wanted to)

The other trade off is you can't put the factory cage back over the sub (the 1.5" range of travel would have the SWS-8X aluminum cone cap/heat sink hitting it) and without the cage you cannot put the grill back on top. This is better for sound because there is less plastic obstructing it (trust me there is a lot when you see the cage) but it's bad because dirt/crumbs/toys etc could make their way into the sub from the rear footwell area and damage it or cause it to make noise as it vibrates. Good all weather mats with a lip and/or some vacuuming should be all you need. The front seat footwell/floor mat area is lower than the sub so this isn't a concern from the front.

The only other thing I did besides the 2 subs and the ring adapters was to add some sound insulation to the metal "floor" of the car in the area that the sub sits in. I was careful NOT to put this on the rolled area that leads into the port as I didn't want to mess with the port tuning or air flow.

Dynamat works but it's too expensive (IMHO) so I use GTMAT and find it to be the same thing at a great price. This kit for $15 will do several cars and you only need a tiny bit for the X5M:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KNL1BG/

So in the end you'll end up with 2 crappy B&O subs, 2 huge plastic cages and 2 top speaker grills left over (save or toss your call) in exchange for a huge improvement in bass you can feel!

I was VERY pleased when I fired up my tunes and had KILLER bass at loud levels and great bass at lower levels. It is the kind you feel in your gut/butt and with the windows closed you can feel the pressure.

I was also pleased with how easy a DIY it was and the improvement in bass vs how little I spent on parts. Sad B&O can't get that right and that BMW charges $3700. I am sure people would be more pleased if they increased the cost to $4000 and just used these subs instead!

I hope others who are looking to improve the B&O system give this upgrade a shot before trying to swap amps or fill up the trunk with huge sub enclosures. Unless you need a car show style stereo this is really all you need for a great system with no compromises and low effort and cost.

Last edited by Jenner; 08-15-2017 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 5
      08-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #27
foldpages
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020

Garage List
2020 AMG E63 S  [0.00]
2020 Jeep Wrangler  [0.00]
2017 X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash2k7 View Post

Can you post your settings for the system? Would be curious to see

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #28
m32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT, CB X5M & Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldpages View Post
Oh yes, XM has the equivalent of anywhere between 24-96 kbps. Compare that to Spotify premium at 320kbps or Tidal HIFI at 1411 kbps.

Also a good idea to check your Spotify and Tidal settings to make sure you have them set to the highest quality possible. Spotify defaults to a lower quality even with a paid subscription.
Just wanted to report that I signed up for Tidal yesterday and the music sounds a LOT better on the B&O. The bass is not "booming" but seems like a good balance.

Edwin
      08-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #29
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
It's easy to see most people complain about B&O lacking bass. The joke I heard was that B&O stands for Bass for Old people.
Hahahah... that is the best joke I've heard regarding automobiles and the most accurate... The B&O audio system is just about clarity (IMO)... it offers the best sound at ANY volume (when dialed in properly)...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #30
Raypep
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Macan S

I appriciate that I found this thread, I am looking into getting an X5 and was thinking finding one with B&O, but after reading this I will save the cash. I am big into EDM, Hip-Hop & Rap, so bass is VERY important.

(I also am posting this to subscribe to this post)

-R
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #31
Jenner
///M
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypep View Post
I appriciate that I found this thread, I am looking into getting an X5 and was thinking finding one with B&O, but after reading this I will save the cash. I am big into EDM, Hip-Hop & Rap, so bass is VERY important.

-R
The B&O system's mids/highs and ability to play clear clean distortion free at any volume level are worth it. Esp if you are looking at the used market you won't really pay any extra. The lack of base can be fixed for a few hundred $.

The MSRP for the option is too high, but it's a great system and event better when you didn't pay the MSRP and enhanced it with a 4ohm sub upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 06:16 AM   #32
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

Quote:

-R
You should replace the subs then. See this thread: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1437463

Couple better subs in a system that's already incredibly clear and accurate in sound reproduction and you'll be happy you spent the money.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #33
Flee6156
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '15 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
Quote:

-R
You should replace the subs then. See this thread: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1437463

Couple better subs in a system that's already incredibly clear and accurate in sound reproduction and you'll be happy you spent the money.
Did what Jenner recommended 1 month ago. Significant improvement with the Earthquake 4 ohms. Love it.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia980.00
      11-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #34
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

I am interested though in the quality of the Earthquakes. Mostly related to type of cone material, responsiveness (ie speed), accuracy, etc. Since the B&O system is all about accurate sound reproduction and clarity, I think it would be fairly important for any replacement woofer to be in the same league.

I had a 10" Diamond Audio HEX in a previous vehicle and it was incredibly accurate/responsive.

The unfortunate thing is that there aren't many shallow mount 8" woofer that fit our OEM enclosures...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #35
Raypep
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Macan S

I'm always nervous about replacing OEM parts. Not because of the reliability. I'm just not knowledgeable when it comes to replacing anything lol. Thanks, I will keep it in mind!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #36
Johngm45
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535xi m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post

I had B&O in a B8.5 Audi S4 and it had the same problem no bass. I also currently have B&O in an Audi Q5 and the bass is acceptable but not great. Just like iconoclast said it's clear at all levels but lacks bass. The speakers are decent (way better than BOSE) and the amps are really quality. B&O has designed a system that will play loud and clear. I find this to be true to B&O no matter what car it is installed nor how much the upgrade cost ($800 in S4, $500 in Q5, $3700 in F85 )

In the S4 I replaced the 8ohm joke of a 10" sub (really a 8" sub in a 10" footprint) with a $100 Kicker 4ohm sub. The weight and magnet of the Kicker was triple what came out. The reduction in resistance to 4ohm increased the power output of the B&O amp and it handled this massive 10" woofer no problem. The bass went from almost nothing to incredible. Best $100 upgrade I ever did to a car. The amp handled it all day long never missed a beat, never overheated or did anything funny in the 2 years I had the setup.

So when I got my F85 I found I had the same issue with B&O...lack of bass overall but especially at low volume. No matter what you do with the bass setting and EQ there isn't anything at normal listening levels. The B&O subs can make some bass with the right music and with the system CRANKED but then everything else is so loud it is TOO loud and still out of balance. Plus with the bass dial maxed it gets too boomy and sounds funny. I wanted to have some bass while being able to play the system at normal levels with my family in the car and be able to have a conversation as well.

I'm sorry you wasted your money on BAVSound. I wish you could get your money back. I believe they brag about their "100 Day In-Car Trial + Free Returns with every order" so maybe you can still return them? There is no way for you to get 2x the bass keeping the ohms the same and the amps the same. It's just not possible.

When I came across the BAVSound Ghost sub and I thought wow this is great ez mode drop in replacement and someone else already solved the problem. I also noticed how low profile the subs were and figured BAV was the only choice due to the odd sub shape/style and factory wiring connector.

But I did not like the specs (or lack of) I did not like that they were 8ohm and I certainly did not like the price. It also didn't look like that much of an improvement in terms of air moved/woofer travel. So I decided to investigate on my own.

I removed the passenger seat bolts and leaned it back against the rear seats so I didn't have to disconnect anything. Removed the grill, then the cage and got down to the sub and it's mount. Pulled that out and removed the connector and realized there was no way I was dropping a "normal" 8" sub in this spot. But it did confirm that the stock sub is a joke and has barely any woofer travel so it's just not going to move a lot of air. I was surprised at how heavy it was, but once you get it out you realize it's just using a huge cheap magnet and the cage that holds it in is designed around just that.

But at least I had an idea of what I was working with and the sub design is VERY cool how the body of the car acts as an enclosure and they have a ported "tube" that runs along the side of the car (under the carpet by the doors).

So I started searching and came across this one company in CA called Earthquake Sound that has a drop in subwoofers for BMWs and has all these patents on their design and uses neodymium magnets so it doesn't have to be so huge and heavy but still can handle power. 300w power handling 4ohm and 1.5" woofer travel had me at hello, but most importantly it was drop in fitment for this location.

Amazon has everything you need:

Earthquake Sound X84SWS 8-inch Shallow Woofer System Under-the-Seat Subwoofers 4-Ohm (Pair) $230
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X41HPJJ/

and

Earthquake Sound R8SWS Installation Ring Adapter for Speakers (Pair) $25:
https://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-So...dp/B00G2MKGOU/

So for about $250 you have everything you need. Half the cost of BAVSound and more importantly half the ohms! (4 instead of 8) Now you can actually double your bass

Here are the trade offs: You have to do a tiny bit more work than the BAV upgrade because you have to cut off the OEM subwoofer connector to use the bare wiring. Not a big deal and I think most of us would just leave these in the car and not bother to swap back to stock parts (but you could get the factory subs to work with the bare wiring if you needed/wanted to)

The other trade off is you can't put the factory cage back over the sub (the 1.5" range of travel would have the SWS-8X aluminum cone cap/heat sink hitting it) and without the cage you cannot put the grill back on top. This is better for sound because there is less plastic obstructing it (trust me there is a lot when you see the cage) but it's bad because dirt/crumbs/toys etc could make their way into the sub from the rear footwell area and damage it or cause it to make noise as it vibrates. Good all weather mats with a lip and/or some vacuuming should be all you need. The front seat footwell/floor mat area is lower than the sub so this isn't a concern from the front.

The only other thing I did besides the 2 subs and the ring adapters was to add some sound insulation to the metal "floor" of the car in the area that the sub sits in. I was careful NOT to put this on the rolled area that leads into the port as I didn't want to mess with the port tuning or air flow.

Dynamat works but it's too expensive (IMHO) so I use GTMAT and find it to be the same thing at a great price. This kit for $15 will do several cars and you only need a tiny bit for the X5M:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KNL1BG/

So in the end you'll end up with 2 crappy B&O subs, 2 huge plastic cages and 2 top speaker grills left over (save or toss your call) in exchange for a huge improvement in bass you can feel!

I was VERY pleased when I fired up my tunes and had KILLER bass at loud levels and great bass at lower levels. It is the kind you feel in your gut/butt and with the windows closed you can feel the pressure.

I was also pleased with how easy a DIY it was and the improvement in bass vs how little I spent on parts. Sad B&O can't get that right and that BMW charges $3700. I am sure people would be more pleased if they increased the cost to $4000 and just used these subs instead!

I hope others who are looking to improve the B&O system give this upgrade a shot before trying to swap amps or fill up the trunk with huge sub enclosures. Unless you need a car show style stereo this is really all you need for a great system with no compromises and low effort and cost.

This is very strange .. I did exactly with the Earthquake brand . I replaced passenger side first and had to wait to install the driver side.
I was impressed with the first swap. I replaced the driver side and it sounds like shit?! Is there a different setting or fine tuning I need to do ?

Last edited by Johngm45; 12-03-2018 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: Anybody?? Do i need to adjust settings?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #37
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

The HK system in my f80 M3 sucked. The HK in the X5M is way better. I was going with BO for the X5M until my salesman told me to listen to the HK in the X5M. I was amazed at the difference. I have purchased at least 7 BMW's from this salesman so he might not have been looking for a quick buck off me.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #38
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

The H/K L7 system I had in my RRSC was amazing... especially with the RSE movie playing through it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #39
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

my 2016’s B&O really loosened up this year. just sounds much better all around.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #40
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015X5M

After switching off the Active sound (speaker noise) the BO sounds sooo much better and this is definitely not a placebo
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #41
sruss2354
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M & X5 50i M-Sport

Compared to the Harmon Kardon in my 50i, my X5M B&O is WAY better.

All around more crisp and balanced sound. The bass I agree isn't the loudest of any premium system I've heard but it is a great sound system and much more clear in my opinion. However I would like more bass (if you mess around with the custom Tone settings, you can get more of a punch from the midtones and bass), if any BMW sound engineers are reading! lol

I need to check out the Burmester? That's the upgraded Mercedes option?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #42
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

Not a huge fan of mine honestly. The Mark Levinson in my GSF was worlds better. Its not terrible but not as good as it should be for what it cost. The systems in Audi and Lexus are much better.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #43
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyX5M View Post
After switching off the Active sound (speaker noise) the BO sounds sooo much better and this is definitely not a placebo
i did this on my M3 and the HK system sounded better for sure. How do you do it on the X5M? The M3 i just unplugged it under the trunk liner.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #44
Kruppa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Comp & 2024 X7

I've deactivated the ActiveSound and it definitely improved the B&O in my 2018. Honestly I prefer the stock non-upgraded speakers in my 2009 5 series. Admittedly I doubt I have what would be considered a refined musical palate. I think it does largely have to do with the bass.
Appreciate 0