BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

10-24-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

RK Carbon Autowerks Front Mount Intake- Received and Installed!!!!

post is useless without pictures!!!! But i cant figure out how to upload so if anybody could help that would be greatly appreciated

been tracking MSR for several months on their progress of their intake which ended up never coming to market. In the end i didnt want to pay their price tag but they were the only one in the game.

Then i see Rk posting on IG on their development of their intake. Already a huge fan of their products as i have their front mount intake on my m4. Trolling them on the forums i see they are in production and ready to take my money. price point was similar to MSR but atleast you get carbon which i value as worth more.

Ordered my intake from Raza on Wed last week, Couple of questions back and forth on IG, quick phone call to Raza and intake ordered. Customer service on point. Intake shipped the sameday

Received the intake today which should of came yesterday but guess Fedex is using USPS for some packages and of course they screwed up. I hate USPS

Install was quick and simple. removal of the stock intake box is literally loosening clamps on intake mainfold, removing maf, pulling box up and your stock intake is removed. Install of the RK was quick and simple. no need to remove front grills. Took me total 30 mins to install.

No surprise intake is high quality. Intake uses AFE filters which i am i fan of. RK offers both cotton filters and new stainless mesh filters like MSR. I decided on cotton as the mesh has a different layout and hard 90 degree bend. Raza ensured no difference in performance but the mesh do require to remove the grills. I remember to vividly when i had to install my black grills and i wanted nothing to do with that. Carbon lay is perfect, no flaws etc. Fitment was on spot which made it easy to install in 30 mins. just basic tools used

Shrrrrrr! Whoosh! i can listen this thing all day. One of the primary reason i wanted a front mount intake. the sound is intoxicating and addicting. I am coming from a Dinan intake (for sale) which was good and felt a power difference but lack the sound i was looking for. They were technically the first intake for the f85 on the market and as an early adopter it had to be had. The sound is not as pronounced as i like and i noticed the same on my m4 intake until i got a full tune. Boost pressure makes a huge difference. A tune for the X5 is very near in the horizon

Only driven 20 miles so far so cant say too much about increased power yet as the DME is adapting. The dyno results on the e70 showed 20 hp to the wheels which seems realistic. I am not going to dyno since i dont care. I bought the intake purely for the sound. No CEL or no issues so far.

I report back in a few days with more feedback. if you have been considering an intake especially a front mount this is for you. its not cheap, hp gain for the dollar doesn't make sense but our cars dont make sense in general. 550 HP SUV. Pure excess but who cares.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Very cool ! For pics just hit Go advanced and it will take you to a window that lets you post pics. Only goofy thing is they have to be small. Like under 200.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #3
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

That’s the issue. I usually always use my phone. How do you resize a pic on your phone

Some other forums allow you to resize
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Very cool ! For pics just hit Go advanced and it will take you to a window that lets you post pics. Only goofy thing is they have to be small. Like under 200.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
That’s the issue. I usually always use my phone. How do you resize a pic on your phone

Some other forums allow you to resize
Quick and dirty way is to click on the pic, select email, put your address in, email will ask “what size file” and will show options. Select the one under 200 and email it to yourself. Then open email and save to photos. Just be sure to select THAT pic to upload since it”s larger brother will also be in your photo file. Dirty, but works.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
I didn't see one for the F85 on their website. Does the old one fit the new one?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #6
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

This thread is worthless without pics!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I didn't see one for the F85 on their website. Does the old one fit the new one?
The E7x chassis does not fit the newer chassis. The x5m and X6m are the same though. We ended up making two versions for the new chassis as seen below.

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@RKautowerks View Post
This thread is worthless without pics!!!

The E7x chassis does not fit the newer chassis. The x5m and X6m are the same though. We ended up making two versions for the new chassis as seen below.

Thanks
-R

Looks KILLER ! I have a Flowbench if you want a FREE independent flow test.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M & E63 M6

Id love to see how the compare on the flow bench for either of those filters!!!! Are there any upsides or downsides to going with either filter? Such as water hitting the filters in the rain, cleaning and debris entering into the intakes?
      10-28-2017, 12:37 AM   #9
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I still don't get how water doesn't mess anything up when you are driving in heavy rain or washing the car?? There is a MAF? sensor right there in the intake track.

Need a video of this intake asap!

Alan
      10-28-2017, 06:40 AM   #10
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I still don't get how water doesn't mess anything up when you are driving in heavy rain or washing the car?? There is a MAF? sensor right there in the intake track.

Alan

I don't get that either.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #11
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

No doubt it will sound great. No muffling. BUT, I’d like to see an INDEPENDENT Flowbench shootout between RK and Dinan. I know a guy.........
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #12
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looks KILLER ! I have a Flowbench if you want a FREE independent flow test.
I personally ran extensive flow bench data with the F10, nobody cared. So i didn't invest the time with it this go around. If there is a genuine interest, i don't mind collecting the data. It's just difficult with this car because the airbox has dual inlets, so the system would need to be merged. Just a lot of work for very little to if any benefit when it comes to what customers want. we've found 99% are driven by sound and aesthetics. That's why i made it so both filter options were possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM6 View Post
Id love to see how the compare on the flow bench for either of those filters!!!! Are there any upsides or downsides to going with either filter? Such as water hitting the filters in the rain, cleaning and debris entering into the intakes?
The flow isn't much different with both filters, i've tested both on the F10 and it was pretty close. The filters aren't the restriction with our intakes.

The upside with the round filter is that it does sound louder, the downside is that it does not filter as fine of a particle as the cotton filter would.

Other than aesthetics, that's about the only difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post

Alan
Only way water will mess anything up is if you submerge them in the system, we've probably sold over 100 intakes for the F10 and not had a single issue. We have guys in alaska, australia, dubai, japan, south america; no complaints.

Short answer, water is not an issue.

Im sure the OP will be posting videos soon, excited to see them as well.

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #13
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

"I personally ran extensive flow bench data with the F10, nobody cared. So i didn't invest the time with it this go around. If there is a genuine interest, i don't mind collecting the data. It's just difficult with this car because the airbox has dual inlets, so the system would need to be merged. Just a lot of work for very little to if any benefit when it comes to what customers want. we've found 99% are driven by sound and aesthetics. That's why i made it so both filter options were possible."

The way the engine is fed, you really can test one side at a time without merging them. Dual mafs, inlets, turbos, Vanos, etc makes it simple. S63tu is "almost" like two independent engines.

Only time you need to invest, is to take one side that is blemished, prototype,etc., drop it into a UPS box and send it to me. I'll pay to send it back
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 11:22 PM   #14
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
They are gorgeous
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #15
RaVe
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Do u have a video before and after installation to describe the sound ?
The dinian filter does not really change the sound so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #16
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
"I personally ran extensive flow bench data with the F10, nobody cared. So i didn't invest the time with it this go around. If there is a genuine interest, i don't mind collecting the data. It's just difficult with this car because the airbox has dual inlets, so the system would need to be merged. Just a lot of work for very little to if any benefit when it comes to what customers want. we've found 99% are driven by sound and aesthetics. That's why i made it so both filter options were possible."

The way the engine is fed, you really can test one side at a time without merging them. Dual mafs, inlets, turbos, Vanos, etc makes it simple. S63tu is "almost" like two independent engines.

Only time you need to invest, is to take one side that is blemished, prototype,etc., drop it into a UPS box and send it to me. I'll pay to send it back
Yes you can test each side independently, but the problem is the stock airbox, it is impossible to test just one side at a time because the entire airbox is merged. I already have an idea of what these flow on our end, i'd bet their within +/- 5% of the M5.

-R
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #17
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@RKautowerks View Post
Yes you can test each side independently, but the problem is the stock airbox, it is impossible to test just one side at a time because the entire airbox is merged. I already have an idea of what these flow on our end, i'd bet their within +/- 5% of the M5.

-R
IF there was a negative pressure drop in the common chamber I’d agree. But there is zero drop at 120mph at 21psi manifold pressure. I know where you are coming from

I’m gone.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 02:15 PM   #18
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

update

drove the truck all weekend and been loving every min. usually my M4 is the weekend car but no questions to jump in the X5 every chance i could.

i have been modding every one of my cars for too long and know right away if a mod added performance. I know there are skeptics out there about intakes and proven performance but i can tell you that the RK intakes have made a very noticeable difference in low end torque and reduce turbo spool

Even my wife asked me if i did something new to the car after she drove it home. I don't involve my wife in any of my modding but she felt a difference with a very short drive.

since the intake is so easy to install i am thinking to switch back to the Dinan over the weekend for a comparison.

Wish i knew how to post videos so everyone can hear the intake in all its glory. remind you i made the purchase for acoustics. many say too much money for sound but thats interesting as almost everyone will purchase an exhaust for more money for acoustics

if anyone can help instruct me how to upload a gopro video i would love to share

Quote:
IF there was a negative pressure drop in the common chamber I’d agree. But there is zero drop at 120mph at 21psi manifold pressure. I know where you are coming from

I’m gone.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 02:42 PM   #19
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
drove the truck all weekend and been loving every min. usually my M4 is the weekend car but no questions to jump in the X5 every chance i could.

i have been modding every one of my cars for too long and know right away if a mod added performance. I know there are skeptics out there about intakes and proven performance but i can tell you that the RK intakes have made a very noticeable difference in low end torque and reduce turbo spool

Even my wife asked me if i did something new to the car after she drove it home. I don't involve my wife in any of my modding but she felt a difference with a very short drive.

since the intake is so easy to install i am thinking to switch back to the Dinan over the weekend for a comparison.

Wish i knew how to post videos so everyone can hear the intake in all its glory. remind you i made the purchase for acoustics. many say too much money for sound but thats interesting as almost everyone will purchase an exhaust for more money for acoustics

if anyone can help instruct me how to upload a gopro video i would love to share
I personally think that it is reasonably priced for the sound and visual upgrade. Just the increase in the turbo sound is incredible and addictive. I would not waste the effort if I were you to reinstall Dinan unless you have a Vbox or dragstrip nearby for quantitative results. ENJOY the upgrade !
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 04:15 PM   #20
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
I mean sure but I'm sorry $2000 for intake is insane. Especially for sound and aesthetics. And then to offer free shipping only if you spend $2000. Lol I mean cmon man. I'm sure they're gorgeous and don't get me wrong I'd love a set but no way I could justify spending that. Maybe when I have FU money and can just throw it around one day.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2017, 05:11 PM   #21
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I mean sure but I'm sorry $2000 for intake is insane. Especially for sound and aesthetics. And then to offer free shipping only if you spend $2000. Lol I mean cmon man. I'm sure they're gorgeous and don't get me wrong I'd love a set but no way I could justify spending that. Maybe when I have FU money and can just throw it around one day.
It’s all relative. When you buy an M, you’re already throwing money around. Life is short. Enjoy the ride !
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 06:27 PM   #22
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Whats your "justification" ballpark. Always interested in knowing what you guys are thinking.

-R
Appreciate 0