BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-19-2017, 12:41 AM   #1
ptm1nh
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Blue Cars

Hello from Seattle

Fist let me start with thanking everyone in this forum, I have learnt a lot from the last 5 months of lurking and reading through posts.

I'm now a happy owner of a 2014 xDrive50i:
- xLine
- Imperial Blue
- Mocha Interior Design
- Driving Assistant
- Driving Assistant Plus
- Cold Weather
- Adaptive Suspension Comfort (S2VMA)
And many other upgrades...

I started looking in June, test drove a few (mostly 35i) and felt that the ride is much more comfortable with either adaptive suspension or DHP. These are quite hard to come by in the used market. I was desperate enough to even write a web crawler to scrape all the VIN # from websites like BMW CPO, cars, autotrader, cargurus, and cross-reference with mdecoder (to whomever stands behind this website, thank you so much!) to verify installed packages.

I found this car out of the blue and decided to give it a test drive after work and was totally sold by how smooth the ride was and mostly, the V8's sound and power (gosh it was beautiful).

Factory warranty is still in effect until May next year but based on what I have been reading, an extended warranty is necessary. The dealership even gave me some discount too because I'm a software engineer and works for Microsoft (no I don't)??? National Warranty Premium Plus 60m/100k $0 deductible for $3k5. I haven't checked yet but was told this is what BMW dealership offers as well. Do you think it's a good deal and does anyone have any experience with National Warranty before? I have about 30 days for full refund.

Finally, picture time... And yes I debadged it all
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-19-2017, 12:44 AM   #2
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptm1nh View Post
Fist let me start with thanking everyone in this forum, I have learnt a lot from the last 5 months of lurking and reading through posts.

I'm now a happy owner of a 2014 xDrive50i:
- xLine
- Imperial Blue
- Mocha Interior Design
- Driving Assistant
- Driving Assistant Plus
- Cold Weather
- Adaptive Suspension Comfort (S2VMA)
And many other upgrades...

I started looking in June, test drove a few (mostly 35i) and felt that the ride is much more comfortable with either adaptive suspension or DHP. These are quite hard to come by in the used market. I was desperate enough to even write a web crawler to scrape all the VIN # from websites like BMW CPO, cars, autotrader, cargurus, and cross-reference with mdecoder (to whomever stands behind this website, thank you so much!) to verify installed packages.

I found this car out of the blue and decided to give it a test drive after work and was totally sold by how smooth the ride was and mostly, the V8's sound and power (gosh it was beautiful).

Factory warranty is still in effect until May next year but based on what I have been reading, an extended warranty is necessary. The dealership even gave me some discount too because I'm a software engineer and works for Microsoft (no I don't)??? National Warranty Premium Plus 60m/100k $0 deductible for $3k5. I haven't checked yet but was told this is what BMW dealership offers as well. Do you think it's a good deal and does anyone have any experience with National Warranty before? I have about 30 days for full refund.

Finally, picture time... And yes I debadged it all
Beautiful ride..you'll love your car even more every time when you accelerate. And welcome..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 01:51 AM   #3
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

That blue is something. Congrats and nice stable!
      11-19-2017, 01:57 AM   #4
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Nice! Welcome to the group.
      11-19-2017, 02:12 AM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Good looking ride. Welcome!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 02:41 AM   #6
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Good color! Good garage as well!
Regarding ext.warranty - what's your current mileage? IMHO if it's around 25-30k then that price for warranty is not bad, I would keep it (especially if you are not planning to mod engine)

P.S. That silver diaper on the rear bumper has to go man....
Appreciate 1
ptm1nh202.00
      11-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Congrats!!! Love the Imperial Blue.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
ptm1nh202.00
      11-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
deutsch100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Wow, beautiful!!! Congratulations. The 50i is a monster, and yes you will LOVE every acceleration.

I have never seen a 50i w/o the flared wheel arches. IMO, this beautiful, gorgeous blue X would really benefit from adding the arches and beffier, more aggressive rims!

Enjoy every mile. That colour is awesome!!!!
Appreciate 2
Chadmatic660.50
ptm1nh202.00
      11-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #9
ptm1nh
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep

Thank you so much everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Good color! Good garage as well!
Regarding ext.warranty - what's your current mileage? IMHO if it's around 25-30k then that price for warranty is not bad, I would keep it (especially if you are not planning to mod engine)

P.S. That silver diaper on the rear bumper has to go man....
Thank you for your insight, I don't think I want/need to tune this engine, the power it offers is already more than enough for me. Plus, my wife doesn't like to be shoved into the seat either so I drive in Comfort mode whenever she's in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev_chu View Post
Beautiful ride..you'll love your car even more every time when you accelerate. And welcome..
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
Wow, beautiful!!! Congratulations. The 50i is a monster, and yes you will LOVE every acceleration.

I have never seen a 50i w/o the flared wheel arches. IMO, this beautiful, gorgeous blue X would really benefit from adding the arches and beffier, more aggressive rims!

Enjoy every mile. That colour is awesome!!!!
Yeah I'm already in L.O.V.E with it every time I accelerate. It gives me the excitement and yet scares me at the same time.

I do have a list of things that I wanna work on and the "diaper" and wheel arches, summer wheel sets are on the list. Besides the weather, finding time between working on the car, family chores, full-time developer, and part-time Master's program is a challenge that I'm trying to solve
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003741.00
      11-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #10
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Hello to another local. Sweet buy that V8 is awesome!
Appreciate 1
ptm1nh202.00
      11-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
shezi01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 35i

Welcome and congrats. Very nice
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #12
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Congrats on your purchase, looks great. On ext warranty, check your contract to make sure it’s an exclusionary warranty (I.e everything covered except the items that are listed in an exclusionary list).
Appreciate 1
ptm1nh202.00
      11-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Love that color! My father had a Deep Sea Blue E70 MSport and I was always impressed how good it looked when clean.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003741.00
ptm1nh202.00
      11-30-2017, 12:46 AM   #14
ptm1nh
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep

So after about 2 weeks of ownership, here are some quick thoughts:
1. It's not just fast, it's how fast the car could get faster. I feel like it could effortlessly pull at any given speed.
2. Sport mode is a lot of fun! Turbo lag is still there, but it's less (maybe because of higher RPM?)
3. When switching from Comfort to Sport at standing still, I feel like there is a sudden height drop. Must be adaptive suspension?
4. There's a lot to sacrifice when using ECO Pro mode but the MPG improvement is not even acceptable in my case. Hence, I only use it when I know that I'm about to coast for an extended range.
5. Multi-contour seats are a huge step up from sport seats.
6. I have 16 MPG with a lot of stop-and-go and 18-19 when traffic is light. But time will tell, I've only fill up twice so far.
7. Auto Start/Stop button is behind the wheel, so it's almost impossible to tell if it's on or off. On my wife's F54, it locates on the centre dashboard so it's much easier to see.
8. Same for heated steering wheel button, I know we all could tell by how hot the steering wheel gets, but it would be nicer if there's blinking light telling which mode it's switching to when the button is pressed on either HUD or cluster. G01 has it moved onto the steering wheel, hope the next X5 will have it too.
9. Using song selection wheel on the steering wheel limits me to only 9 songs. And I'm stuck with those 9 songs even though my playlist has about 100+.
10. Vietnamese and Korean languages are not displayed correctly, a lot of tofu box. I have 003.009.004 for both Media and Telephone and will try to update it this weekend if possible.
11. Sunglass holder is a bit too small

In general I'm not regretting any bit getting this 50i at all. Too much fun for me!!!

There's one small issue though: when pressing the moonroof switch passing the resistance point, my windshield doesn't open or close automatically. During the movement, sometimes it suddenly stops and start moving again. My visor works fine. Has anybody have this issue before?

Last edited by ptm1nh; 11-30-2017 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 12:49 AM   #15
ptm1nh
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Love that color! My father had a Deep Sea Blue E70 MSport and I was always impressed how good it looked when clean.
Yeah the first time I saw my cousin's E70 in Deep Sea Blue back in Vietnam a few years ago, I immediately fell in love.

Too bad there's no Imperial Blue M-Sport
Appreciate 0