BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Who Here Seriously Considered New MDX?

Back in my E70 days I test drove the MDX and ended-up with BMW obviously....Never been much of an Acura guy and they really lost their way for a while imo.

Back then the Acura was far less luxurious and fun to drive. The greater value of their vehicle was not enough to sway me.

Wondering if they've closed the gap? Might have to go test drive one again some weekend.....
      02-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest X6
Back in my E70 days I test drove the MDX and ended-up with BMW obviously....Never been much of an Acura guy and they really lost their way for a while imo.

Back then the Acura was far less luxurious and fun to drive. The greater value of their vehicle was not enough to sway me.

Wondering if they've closed the gap? Might have to go test drive one again some weekend.....
Sorry to break your fantasy lol but if your going for acura i would go with the Honda pilot instead acura. I seen the new mdx boy it looks nice but i think its small for a suv the older model is much bigger and faster. Thats my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Nope. The Japanese brands just seem to be getting further and further away from nice lines, instead moving to these unnecessarily curvy weird designs. Haven't been a fan of any Acura, Lexus, or Infiniti product for a while now. Which is a shame. I loved the first G35, now it's huge and ugly. I had an '04 FX45, drove like a sports car, but was already an acquired taste to begin with, style-wise. Then they went over the top with all this seemingly shark inspired design.

The new MDX, still not impressed. Not as horrid looking as some others, but just bland, IMO. I think the newer RDX actually looks better, although they're pretty similar.

It's like you said, the value isn't really there (at least not in a lease, just not as big a difference as you want/expect a Honda to be compared to a BMW) and that's what they need to win customers from BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. Hell, throw Volvo and VW in there too (I'd take a Touareg over the MDX in a heartbeat). You don't save all that much, so why bother…..

Last edited by chrisny; 02-16-2014 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
flags
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2021 X5 45e

Garage List
For me, it was between the new MDX (highest trim level) and the F15 X5 xline. Ultimately chose the X5. I can give a short "pros" list, in my opinion:
MDX Pros: Price! About 8k less when as close to equally equipped. Remote start, great rear seat entertainment, better MPG, more interior space (in 3rd row, passenger & cargo)
X5 Pros: Looks (more masculine/sporty/whatever) - just something about it. Performance - better acceleration/handling/sporty ride, more personalization with the options. Panoramic sunroof, better NAV/infotainment, better quality interior trim/fit/finish (big difference), maintenance included

I really wanted a dark blue exterior, and both brands offer it. With the MDX, you could only get a light gray leather, which I hated. X5 you can get whatever color leather you want. I was also coming from a 2008 MDX, which was a great car. The new model MDX was also just too similar for me, a notch against it.
Once I drove both, I was hooked with the X5. It has that intangible feel that most BMWs have.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
F15Diesel
Rep
Drives: F15 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest X6 View Post

I drove it. Felt too much like our Honda Odyssey which feels too much like my mothers Civic (but we need the *******.

Infotainment quality is much better, as are levels of interior finish and quality.

Design is a personal preference I can't comment on.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
dn325ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325Ci

We looked at the MDX briefly. The outside is looking kind of old woman-ish, the interior is cheaper looking, and the tech is poor. Watch CNET's Brian Cooley review the MDX. "Big fail."
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
Christ
Registered
Rep
Drives: 6 and X5

The ugliest face (grill) at the dance - looked at it and would be embarrassed to drive, technologically a good vehicle, but ugly
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Would not consider the MDX secondary to being way slower and under powered for what I want.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
JJPP
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5

Just go and read what the new owners of the MDX's are posting on their forums, nothing but problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #10
agmnyc
Rep
Drives: f15 x5

I considered am MDX Tech/Entertainment, and even a used CPO of the previous model before settling on an x5 35i xdrive.

I haven't had a chance to drive the x5 yet but the MDX was surprisingly fun to drive - it felt very car like and the ride seemed like a good compromise between sporty and comfort. It was also very roomy and was packaged in way that makes it very practical for a family of 4+.

On the negative side, the MDX seemed like is the the victim of a lot of corner cutting. Although basics like ride, engine, and safety all appear to be top-notch, the car skimps on details that the x5 a more complete car. Fog lights, for example, have been deleted and are now a dealer-installed option on the MDX. More significantly, a large majority of owners seems to think Acura completely dropped the ball on the navigation and infotainment system, which is completely unacceptable for a brand that used to be known for integrating cutting edge technology.

At the end of the day, the price difference to lease the two cars was too close for me to pick the MDX. I was able to lease a 62k msrp x5 for about 735 month including tax. The Acura was only about 150 a month less, and didn't include free maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #11
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I used to love Honda/acura but they are constantly coming up with fugly cars lately with cheap looking interiors.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #12
bradbragg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 sDrive 35i

Exclamation MDX disappoints

I was one of the people in early 2013 that was anxiously awaiting the new 2014 MDX redesign, with plans to buy one when available.

Shortly after they released the new design, I had a chance to evaluate it in person. Here's my take:
1. The external design seems more minivan-like and less sporty than previous versions. Not sure why Acura is going in this direction. Minor negative.
2. It seeeds to drive really well and get good gas mileage. Decent acceleration, low road noise, etc. pleasantly surprised by this. Positive for the MDX
3. Interior fit and finish seemed fine to me. Not as nice as the X5 but certainly not an issue.
4. A little annoying that you are required to purchase the advance model to get the intelligent cruise control. I have this option on my 2006 Infiniti M35 and love it. Other advance features (rear entertainment system, etc.) not needed. That makes it a very expensive option. Annoying but not a deal breaker.
5. The controls and navigation system are atrociously bad. This was the deal breaker for me. AC, radio controls, etc. buried in touch screen menus, laggy response time, grainy camera views, all were too much to accept. I was extremely extremely disappointed in this regard. Read previous post about Cnet review. They hit this on the head.

So, after being disappointed with the MDX, I drove the Infiniti JX and wasn't impressed. Drove the new X5 and was grinning from ear to ear. Heads up display, beautiful center screen and camera views, nice fit and finish were wonderful. I've never owned a German car and am a little hesitant about future maintenance costs (after the included service period) as I tend to own cars a long time and put a lot of highway miles on them, but I'm willing to make the jump. I'm now waiting for inventory to catch up with demand so that a dealer within 250 miles of me will give me a decent deal.

My ex-wife had a 2005 Acura MDX and I really liked it. Acura has really screwed up the control/nav on the new model. X5 a fair bit more expensive than similarly equipped MDX but worth it right now for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #13
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

We very seriously considered an MDX for my wife who is coming off a GL350 lease but gave up because of the atrociously bad lease deals. Eearly offer of 900ish a month on a 36 month 15k lease for a car with a 56k MSRP - MDX Advance. This was supposedly due to scarcity of the advance. Heck I could borrow 56k for 900ish a month over 60. The car drove really well though and would be a good affordable family car. Toms of interior room, faster than I expected, and very quiet ride. Very comfortable seats too. Gave up on the X5 for now because I am not seeing the kind of lease payments I am comfortable with so my wife is getting an ML350 for the next two years after which we'll revisit the X5.
      02-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
icreate
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 35d M Sport

I was in the same situation as the OP, but went with MDX. I drove it for 4yrs.

Let the looks aside, as I am now favouring X5.

It handles very well, their SH-AWD is similar to the dynamic handling package in X5 because it does the torque vectoring in the back wheel.
The space inside had good enough room for 3rd row while it was and is still useless in X5.

On the other hand, looking at the 2014, I think i got uglier, less powerful. Luxury did not improve as much X5 '14 did. MDX '14 has two giant screens that feel outdated compared to X5.

If you are looking to space / 7seats / price then MDX is better. But for performance and luxury, I think X5 '14 is better.

If you end-up with MDX, then get it with SH-AWD and Sport suspension.

my 2cents.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #15
ShahiniBmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC & 2017 x5

I had a 05 & 08 Acura mdx sport but once I went with the 2012 x5 m sport .. There's no going back lol it's just different .. My opinion that is.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #16
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

You are not comparing apples to apples. There is just n comparison.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #17
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

I was ready to take home a Technology Package until I test drove the X5
The pros and cons noted here are bang-on.

The add-ons or Dealer installed Package prices are horrible and the nickel and dime for almost every little ones like fog lights for $700, roof rails $870, and even backup sensors for $910

The touch screen control ( double screen one for navi and one for controls) was an afterthought

I spent an extra $8K on an X5 and don't regret it
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
BMW1911
Registered
Rep
Drives: Future X5

Hi, I found this forum while researching BMW X5 vs MDX.
I'm seriously considering the MDX but just can't pull the trigger. X5 is what I really want to drive but some of it's features are driving me away, such as the 3rd row seat.

MDX has a nicer 3rd row seat and comes standard. We use 3rd row on the weekends with family. But I still want to drive a nice car like X5.

For those who has 3rd row seats, how do you like it? Easy to get in? Comfortable?

Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #19
phantomac2
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 (KS81)

If I needed a third row of seats, I'd honestly consider the Volkswagen Multivan ( http://www.volkswagen.de/de/models/multivan.html ) or the Mercedes V ( http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/...avi:highlights ).

The former is probably one of the best in its class, the latter is all new. People seem to prefer the Multivan.

The third row in a mid-sized SUV is always a mediocre solution. None are truly easily accessible nor comfortable. That said, go for the X5 if that's where your heart is.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #20
Beakster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M2 w/3 pedals

We had a 2010 MDX Advance prior to our X5. The MDX had great handlling and the transmission was very responsive in Sport mode when driven aggressively. It was primarily my wife's vehicle but she started to daily drive our old lifted '98 4Runner. We actually sold the MDX outright because it was just basically sitting in the garage. About a year later when we started shopping for a new SUV and test drove the X5, we realized that the problem with the MDX is that it just wasn't responsive enough when driven in a sedate manner. Putting it simply, the X5 just feels better, which is very hard to quantify. My wife is not a car person at all, but she loves driving the X5 and it is now her favorite vehicle we have ever owned.

The X5 has really changed things in our family. I am a die hard Subaru guy...my next car will be a new M3.