BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-08-2014, 03:05 AM   #1
eelblac
Rep
Drives: X5

Trickle charger?

Any recommendations for a trickle charger? If I don't drive the X5 for a while (like if I'm away on a long vacation), I'd like to not have the battery drain down on me.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Ctek or Noco Genius. Both excellent. I recommend them above the Deltran Battery charger as they are more advanced, step charging, desulphation, and show level of charge, etc. The Noco and Ctek are made for our AGM batteries.

That said, the Deltran and Ctek are both OEM I believe (just rebadged for BMW).

I used to have a Deltran, but now use a Noco on my X3 when away for a couple weeks during cold winters (-20 or so).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
eelblac
Rep
Drives: X5

@c3uo, I appreciate your response. Helpful to hear from someone with real experience!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

From, Canada I have the BMW branded ( made by Deltran) works perfect, it has twice the amperage as the USA Delran version. About 5 months ago BMW USA sells the Ctek version rebranded as BMW. I agree with C3u0 it has more features than the Deltran, if I had to buy again I would pick Ctek.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

You need a "battery tender" (name of brand unfortunately) that monitors the charge and drain, then maintains the proper level automatically. Unless its a deep cycle, lead-acid batteries do not like cycling and simple trickle charging keeps pushing low amps into the battery, regardless if it's full or not. It's something to consider since our cars need a good strong current not only to start (950 cold cranking amps!!!), but to keep the computer and injectors at the proper amp/volt level to work. My Merc has two batteries - one to start and one to run everything else on the car. It's that important.