BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-06-2023, 09:27 AM   #1
Zizo
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 35d, '06 Tacoma

Front VDC Strut Options

Hi Guys & Gals. I have a '17 F15 with DHP, and the front tires are scalloped pretty bad, so I'm thinking it's time to replace the front Struts. From what I can tell, the part number from BMW is 3710 687 5083/5084, L/R.

Trying to find options of vendors for these and they aren't cheap. From what I can tell, these are the same EDC/VDC Struts used for cars with only 2VF. I don't think 2VP changes the strut type.

Has anyone heard of a Company called Meissler Automotive? They seem to offer these struts for a not so insane price: https://www.miessler-automotive.com/...left-and-right

Otherwise FCP Euro wants $990 a strut, or the eBay special is $300 for a pair, which I will not do.

I'd like to keep the EDC, don't really want to lower it or go the KW route. Has anyone had experience in replacing these struts without breaking the bank? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 09:43 AM   #2
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

Love to see tire photos. What is the brand of tire? If you had one tire doing this I'd say struts is a likely cause but those stuts have long life and right side takes FAR more abuse from potholes and turning short over a curb, etc. and I see right side shock, strut, ball joint, sway bar link first failure on all makes.
Some tire tread designs are prone to this and not all tread patterns work on all cars. BMW is one of the worst for needing alignment set to THE correct spec, not just in the green range that alignment machine will have on the screen. Are the tires directional, directional + assymetric, assymetric, or none of these? assymetric and none can be switched side to side and reverse rotation will often undo the wear pattern and when it appears to start again you reverse sides again.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 11:14 AM   #3
Zizo
Rep

20" Continental DWS06, been on the car 20 months or so, about 23k miles. Both fronts look the same, and an alignment was done when the tires went on. No curb rash or damage to the wheels. I agree with you on the long life of the struts. The 40k miles before I owned it, the car was a BMW NA and dealer demo, then leased by someone near Atlanta. It was likely abused before me.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 12:58 PM   #4
COSPILOT
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 5.0i

I’m at 176K on original struts on my Land Rover which are fine. I’ve replaced many other components for the air suspension but struts are working good. Original owner fwiw. My f15 I purchased used, but I have an expectation it won’t be the struts, but other stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 11:28 PM   #5
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Doubt your shocks are the issue. There is a natural camber if you’re seeing uneven wear on inner part of tire.

Just saw the cords on both my fronts this past week on the inner wall. Very natural for sporty vehicles. You can get adjustable top plates from bmw to remove camber.

With that said I’ve been rocking those eBay rebuilt shocks for almost a year now with no issue at all. That’s all they are. Rebuilt with new fluid. They’re not made from scratch.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2023, 11:44 PM   #6
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Doubt your shocks are the issue. There is a natural camber if you’re seeing uneven wear on inner part of tire.

Just saw the cords on both my fronts this past week on the inner wall. Very natural for sporty vehicles. You can get adjustable top plates from bmw to remove camber.

With that said I’ve been rocking those eBay rebuilt shocks for almost a year now with no issue at all. That’s all they are. Rebuilt with new fluid. They’re not made from scratch.
Thanks for this. Random suspension question for you - did you notice your tension struts start to when they start making a creaking noise while reversing? I’m having that after ~20k miles on new tension struts.

To the OP - have you checked the tension and lower control arms? Mine were shot at 69k miles when we bought the car… front right tire was showing scalloping on the outside.

New tension struts and controls transformed the ride, handling, and tire wear. Worth taking a look!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 10:52 AM   #7
Zizo
Rep

I appreciate everyone's input. I tend to agree, an EDC strut should last longer than 60k. I know our cars tend to chew through tires up front, my brother's E71 did the same, and several friends of mine have this issue on their F15s, particularly on cars with 20"+ wheels. My father has the 19" xLine wheels and he doesn't have this issue, not sure why but not complaining.

As for the tension struts, that's the first thing I checked and they are good. I'll check that again but I think I may just have to put up with this. It's causing a howling between 30-75mph, sounds like a bearing noise or an out of alignment tire/wheel.

I'll keep looking, but I appreciate the input on the eBay struts also. Hopefully don't need to replace any struts!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 09:42 PM   #8
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Thanks for this. Random suspension question for you - did you notice your tension struts start to when they start making a creaking noise while reversing? I’m having that after ~20k miles on new tension struts.

To the OP - have you checked the tension and lower control arms? Mine were shot at 69k miles when we bought the car… front right tire was showing scalloping on the outside.

New tension struts and controls transformed the ride, handling, and tire wear. Worth taking a look!
Personally i would associate the creek inoise in reverse to control arms before the shocks/springs.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0