BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

01-28-2022, 02:47 PM   #1
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d 15/X2 28i 18/MC Conv 06

Anti-sway when towing with Invisi/Stealth/BMW hitches and OEM active harness

I have 2015 35d with Invisihitch using OEM active harness/module and wired Tekonsha P3 brake controller. I have all the coded trailer features when harness/trailer is hooked up (like rear camera hitch zoom, disabled pdc, and trailer light out notification except not sure the following one

Stability Controls- Utilized anti-lock brakes to dampen trailer sway in unsafe conditions

Anybody know the easy way to find it out?

I ask this because sometimes I feel a little sway/fishtail when I tow trailer at > 70 mph (I know I shouldn't drive > 65 when towing).

Invisi/Stealth/BMW hitches can't use any mechanic weight distribution hitch and sway control bar. I wonder even with the above anti-sway coded feature working, it is still probably not good enough to control the sway unless the coded feature can also apply trailer braking without driver applying X5's brakes . I have found Sway Command Electronic Sway Control System at etrailer and amazon

https://www.etrailer.com/p-LC380605.html
https://www.amazon.com/Trailair-Sway.../dp/B07CP9VV26

It detects sway and apply trailer brake. Wonder if it works and anybody has used it and has some opinions.

TIA

Last edited by milkyway; 01-28-2022 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 04:18 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Check this thread out, has some helpful info on this topic:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1665188
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 05:06 PM   #3
X Mon™
Reads books at a 4th grade level; I'm an enabler
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, 335i Msport, X3, 325iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
Stability Controls- Utilized anti-lock brakes to dampen trailer sway in unsafe conditions

Anybody know the easy way to find it out?
It's as easy as checking the coding of the DSC and Integrated Chassis Management modules. Did you use K235 or 3AC? Moreover did you code it yourself, or did someone else?

Quote:
Invisi/Stealth/BMW hitches can't use any mechanic weight distribution hitch and sway control bar. I wonder even with the above anti-sway coded feature working, it is still probably not good enough to control the sway unless the coded feature can also apply trailer braking without driver applying X5's brakes . I have found Sway Command Electronic Sway Control System at etrailer and amazon

It detects sway and apply trailer brake. Wonder if it works and anybody has used it and has some opinions.
I don't have experience with the Lippert based unit. However, I think the bigger question here is if the trailer based accelerometer package will do better or worse than that of the X5 based algorithms.

Last edited by X Mon™; 01-28-2022 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Correction: Trailer sway not in AHM, but rather DSC_Premium und ICMQL.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 06:22 PM   #4
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I can't help you with coding, or the brake controllers; But are you on airbags, or coil springs, and is the ball mount the correct height?
Years ago I ran into issues with Uhaul trailers being too tall for the standard Stealthhitch ball mount and my lowered X5.

I have the rear airbags "spring" that helps to keep level, but towing a 7 series on a Uhaul carhauler that was a bit low in the front, and I got a bad sway at around 60-65mph.
Now I have a the tallest version of the Stealthhitch ballmount, and Uhaul trailers ride perfectly level. Makes a difference in how the trailer pulls behind the car.
So my point is that it might be more than just a brake controller or programming you are dealing with. You also need to considering trailer tongue weight and height.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 07:14 PM   #5
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=X Mon™;28524202]It's as easy as checking the coding of the DSC and Integrated Chassis Management module. Did you use K235 or 3AC? Moreover did you code it yourself, or did someone else?

I didn't code it, a local body shop installed the hitch. I can use ISTA (without coding/programming) a little, like registering new battery. Can ISTA shows the following feature in question?

Last edited by milkyway; 01-28-2022 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 07:20 PM   #6
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
I can't help you with coding, or the brake controllers; But are you on airbags, or coil springs, and is the ball mount the correct height?
Years ago I ran into issues with Uhaul trailers being too tall for the standard Stealthhitch ball mount and my lowered X5.

I have the rear airbags "spring" that helps to keep level, but towing a 7 series on a Uhaul carhauler that was a bit low in the front, and I got a bad sway at around 60-65mph.
Now I have a the tallest version of the Stealthhitch ballmount, and Uhaul trailers ride perfectly level. Makes a difference in how the trailer pulls behind the car.
So my point is that it might be more than just a brake controller or programming you are dealing with. You also need to considering trailer tongue weight and height.
My X5 has standard suspension, without adaptive suspension/airbag.

I think my trailer is pretty leveled with the towing X5. Here is the picture
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=154

Last edited by milkyway; 01-28-2022 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: missing something
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 07:24 PM   #7
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My X5 has standard suspension, without adaptive suspension/airbag.

I think my trailer is pretty leveled with the towing X5. Here is the picture
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=154
How heavy are those spare tires all the way to the back of trailer?

You really want to try to keep all weight in the middle of trailer, above the axle, even if that means letting spare tires ride inside the camper instead. Having that much weigh that far back, can make sway worse.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 07:45 PM   #8
X Mon™
Reads books at a 4th grade level; I'm an enabler
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, 335i Msport, X3, 325iX

Garage List
NO, you need to look at the coding of the modules I mentioned above via ESys at this point.

Quote:

I didn't code it, a local body shop installed the hitch. I can use ISTA (without coding/programming) a little, like registering new battery. Can ISTA shows the following feature in question?

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:09 AM   #9
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How heavy are those spare tires all the way to the back of trailer?

You really want to try to keep all weight in the middle of trailer, above the axle, even if that means letting spare tires ride inside the camper instead. Having that much weigh that far back, can make sway worse.
Good catch. Later I put the 2 spare tires on each side the carrier, see the pic.

Also found 2 bolts/nuts to the frame at back of trailer were loose, and I tightened them up.
I would estimate 2 tires are about 70 lbs, the total weight on carrier is about 250 lbs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:23 AM   #10
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Mon™ View Post
NO, you need to look at the coding of the modules I mentioned above via ESys at this point.
Thank you. I have E-SYS 3.27.1 installed, but I haven't gotten a chance to learn and use it. I definitely like to try to get my feet wet with it. Now is good time familiarize it by just looking it current coding parameters' values not coding any. Can you/anybody give a brief steps/instructions in E-SYS to look the coding parameters' values in question?

Last edited by milkyway; 01-31-2022 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 09:54 PM   #11
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good catch. Later I put the 2 spare tires on each side the carrier, see the pic.

Also found 2 bolts/nuts to the frame at back of trailer were loose, and I tightened them up.
I would estimate 2 tires are about 70 lbs, the total weight on carrier is about 250 lbs.
250lbs all the way to the back can increase risk of sway, and will make it worse once you get sway.
I'd take off all the weight at the back, do a test drive, and see if anything changes.
Even if you have or get the correct programming, it won't remove the reasons you get sway, but might mitigate the problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 10:22 AM   #12
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
250lbs all the way to the back can increase risk of sway, and will make it worse once you get sway.
I'd take off all the weight at the back, do a test drive, and see if anything changes.
Even if you have or get the correct programming, it won't remove the reasons you get sway, but might mitigate the problem.
Thank you and agree. I have 2 2000W generators there for the most other weight. I'm thinking to have them on a front tongue carrier to balance the weight out.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 02:40 PM   #13
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you and agree. I have 2 2000W generators there for the most other weight. I'm thinking to have them on a front tongue carrier to balance the weight out.
Adding weight to the front, to compensate for weight in the back, is not a great solution either.
The trailer wheels is the center of trailer, and the further away from the wheels, that you add weight, the worse it is for sway, regardless of front or back.
If using weight on front to balance out the back, you will also make the trailer easier, compared to trying to add the weight above the wheels.

If you keep having problems with trailer sway, you might want to consider transporting what you can inside the trailer, and then when camping, use the outside storage space for stuff.
Appreciate 0