BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
Fastestcolor
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking

“Abnormal” brake pads

Wife’s F15 developed a vibration consistent with warped rotors at 22,000 miles. Car has a service plan so took it to the dealer expecting them to diagnose the rotors as the problem. They call back and say there was an abnormality with the front pads eventhough they had plenty of life left. New pads and sensors and turned the rotors and vibration gone. It was free either way so no sweat but the service plan is almost up and I don’t want this to happen again or with the rear. I’ve never heard of such a thing. When he said abnormality I said “so they’re defective”. He responded with abnormality.

So what causes this and is it preventable?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastestcolor View Post
Wife’s F15 developed a vibration consistent with warped rotors at 22,000 miles. Car has a service plan so took it to the dealer expecting them to diagnose the rotors as the problem. They call back and say there was an abnormality with the front pads eventhough they had plenty of life left. New pads and sensors and turned the rotors and vibration gone. It was free either way so no sweat but the service plan is almost up and I don’t want this to happen again or with the rear. I’ve never heard of such a thing. When he said abnormality I said “so they’re defective”. He responded with abnormality.

So what causes this and is it preventable?
I'd be pushing for more information. I'd want to know exactly what the problem was, especially if it were my wife's vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
pwrdbym
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

A forgotten procedure during most brake part changes is the bed in. You can google to read on how it's done but any time a rotor, pad or both is changed (or turned) the bed in procedure should be accomplished. If you're experiencing an issue with braking you can accomplish the bed in procedure at ANY POINT you like. It's always a great troubleshooting tool and can cure brake issues without spending any money.
91 BMW 850i 6MT--20 Ram 1500
16 Chevy Tahoe 4WD
Appreciate 0