BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-20-2022, 02:57 PM   #1
kingbuzzo
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Sparks on first oil change!

In my 30 years of working on my cars, this is a new one on me...

I started my first oil change on my recently purchased '17 X5 35D. I was fumbling around a bit attempting to get my socket on the drain plug. The head of the ratchet touched the metal skid plate and started arching and greeted me with a nice spark show. Exciting, no?!

I was squeezed under without raising the vehicle, so I didn't see exactly what the socket end was making contact with, but I cannot think of any reasonable explanation why there should be an exposed battery + point inside the drain plug access hole. Is this an area where the battery cable runs to the engine bay?

Any insight would be appreciated.

-Rob
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 03:47 PM   #2
kingbuzzo
Rep

Ok figured this out on my own. Turns out the power terminal bolt to the starter is in the same area and is exposed. I can't believe the factory wouldn't put rubber boot or plastic cover over that. Wow. Hopefully this useful for somebody else.
Attached Images

Last edited by kingbuzzo; 11-20-2022 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2022, 03:57 PM   #3
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Blow anything?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 04:47 PM   #4
kingbuzzo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
Blow anything?
Nope!

Starter cable should be direct to the battery and would guess protected by a fusible link so would take a few seconds to blow. My panic induced ninja reflexes kept the contact time to a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 05:59 PM   #5
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Damn, I’ll bet that was terrifying while being wedged under the car!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 06:32 PM   #6
kingbuzzo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Damn, I’ll bet that was terrifying while being wedged under the car!
I wouldn't say it was my favorite oil change, but it sure woke me up!

Also updated previous post with a picture of the location.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 09:11 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Wow..thanks for sharing.

If anything...a positive did come from this post. There are times when owners lock their BMWs and the battery dies. Then they discover that their driver's door lock cylinder is broken (they either knew it prior and did nothing...or it came as a surprise). This means they don't have a way to open the car to pop the hood so that they can pop the tailgate or attach jumper cables to the engine bay terminals.

This thread shows the location of a positive jump location from underneath the vehicle for those that find themselves locked out of the vehicle.

I wonder what other BMW vehicles other than the F15 X5 35d have a terminal that can be accessed that easily from beneath the vehicle?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 09:50 AM   #8
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Qsilver7 - That's a great call out as a potential emergency power supply line.

I typically change my oil via the dipstick with suction, but for my annual change I opted to go the drain plug put my quickjack lift to use. I never saw this little "sparky the bolt" while I was underneath. Mine is a March '17 build Diesel and I'll have to look next time I'm down there.

All good to know items! Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 03:56 PM   #9
kingbuzzo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Qsilver7 - That's a great call out as a potential emergency power supply line.

I typically change my oil via the dipstick with suction, but for my annual change I opted to go the drain plug put my quickjack lift to use. I never saw this little "sparky the bolt" while I was underneath. Mine is a March '17 build Diesel and I'll have to look next time I'm down there.

All good to know items! Thanks!
Clifton Save yourself the trouble of looking and just fumble around with your socket and extension like I did. I am certain you will find it.

From now and for all eternity it is decreed, the community dubs thee... Sparky the Bolt.

Qsilver7 That is clever idea for use in a pinch, although I imagine it would be tough to wiggle under the car and get an alligator clamp on it. Also, I am pretty sure there is at least one other model with a Mr. Sparky. When I was searching around looking for any hints what I did wrong, I did find one other forum post from someone with the similar experience.
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1431088
Appreciate 0