BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #1
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

iDrive screen upgrades with RCA pre-outs?

I have the HK system and it's quite a disappointment in low response. I'm currently running an additional JL amp and sub through an LC2i running off the rear speaker output from the OEM amp. It helps, but since the rear output is filtered the freq response is not there that you would get if running off unfiltered RCA pre-outs. Tried running off the sub output, but thats even worse.

Are there any iDrive screen upgrades out there that have RCA outputs? Or has anyone found a solution to RCA outputs other than running an LC2i off the OEM amp? I did see BimmerTech has a amp upgrade for the base stereo that has RCA outs, but thats not available for the HK system.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #2
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Most ppl here including myself is using the LC2i connected to the sub speaker outs post amp and have had success. What r u trying to achieve here?
      02-03-2021, 12:57 PM   #3
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
Most ppl here including myself is using the LC2i connected to the sub speaker outs post amp and have had success. What r u trying to achieve here?
I have had success with that in regards to it working, but the issue is you're then limiting yourself to the frequency filtered by the amp to the OEM subs, which is something like 50hz and lower IIRC. So yes, you'll get a signal and your newly added sub will work, but you're only going to get the super low frequencies coming through. For most people that might be acceptable, but for me and the variety of music I listen to, its not.

On the flip side, running off the rear speaker post-amp outputs, you'll again be limited in frequency response but more of mid-range freqs, which are good for kicks and punches, but you'll miss out on the low sub frequencies.

You can do a little fine tuning to bring in marginally better freq response, but in the end you're still limited to the output of the factory amp, and since the HK system uses weird spec'd speakers, the amp output isnt ideal.

What I'm trying to do is run the aftermarket amp off a pre-amp, unfiltered signal. Typically this is achieved on aftermarket head units by RCA pre-outs.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #4
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one8 View Post
What I'm trying to do is run the aftermarket amp off a pre-amp, unfiltered signal. Typically this is achieved on aftermarket head units by RCA pre-outs.
Yeah well thats not gonna work unless u hack BMWs MOST system (that higher end OEM options use) and i believe no one has successfully done that. ur best bet would be to use the rear speaker outs and add an audiocontrol epicenter to add the low low frequency back.

https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-aud...ors/epicenter/