BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

10-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #67
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinBimmer View Post
....since I only have Mac computers at home. I can see the software required runs only in windows, right? how could I code the retrofit? any chance to do that over teamviewer like others?
In Mac setup Bootcamp (pre installed, free), then install Windows (need to purchase a copy/license?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I've used VMware on a MacBook Air with the USB to Ethernet adapter with no issue.

While I recommend a dedicated PC, virtualization options work just fine.
This (above) is also an excellent suggestion, coming from a coding pro.

Logmein also works across operating systems, for screen sharing and control. The basic service is free, and even has an smartphone/tablet app that lets you control the destination.

Tangent: this is an excellent thread and I recommend using the thread tool above to submit it to the home page.
      10-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #68
xeo2002
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDRIVE 40d M-Sport Perf

Nice instalation but quality of this display not deserve to be in BMW. I would stay with my regular cluster in x5 if there will be cluster with quality of idrive LCD ok then i will install it but so far It Looks like KIA QUALITY
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #69
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeo2002
Nice instalation but quality of this display not deserve to be in BMW. I would stay with my regular cluster in x5 if there will be cluster with quality of idrive LCD ok then i will install it but so far It Looks like KIA QUALITY
Have you seen the F15 display in real life. It is not the same as the one in F10 for example.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #70
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
In Mac setup Bootcamp (pre installed, free), then install Windows (need to purchase a copy/license?)

This (above) is also an excellent suggestion, coming from a coding pro.

Logmein also works across operating systems, for screen sharing and control. The basic service is free, and even has an smartphone/tablet app that lets you control the destination.

Tangent: this is an excellent thread and I recommend using the thread tool above to submit it to the home page.
Thanks, Niko! I added all the MAC info to my coding thread at the very top. This is useful info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeo2002 View Post
I can assure you it's not a Kia quality, display . It's very crisp and bright. The pictures/video do not do it justice. Also, the iDrive has a huge box to allow for higher quality components, so you can't compare it to that at all. What you can compare it to is the i8 display, which is gorgeous, but having that kind of display in the X5 would be MUCH more expensive; BMW also wouldn't put it in the X5 because they want to keep certain materials to the i8 only otherwise less people would be inclined to buy it - that's marketing.

However, we're all entitled to our own opinion . You are probably used to seeing the new S-Class or Audi displays:

Last edited by opasha; 10-01-2014 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #71
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

I do agree with xeo2002 to a certain extent. 6WB is great - and I love having it. It's sort of rekindled my love affair with this car around the time that I'm usually looking to flip, especially since this cluster isn't available in M cars and I do plan on stepping up to the X5 or X6 M come early next year.

It's definitely not Kia quality. The display is high resolution and looks great in daytime and nighttime. At night, you do see the outline of the screen (common with LCD panels) but it's not a turnoff.

Despite all this, it's actually pretty boring though. What BMW could do is leverage the display more than they do now. I have HUD, so my navigation information is displayed there. I can turn it off and put it in the cluster, but I don't want to - defeats the purpose of the HUD. So what about a small map?

Or some other suggestions:
- album art or Sirius channel art for current media playback
- cover flow type view
- EfficientDynamics charts/consumption history
- actually putting the LDW display up top instead of the static icon
- night vision display
- enhanced on-board computer information/graphics

I just picked up a new 2015 GTI Autobahn for my partner. The screen in the instrument cluster is now color. It can show lots of data on different pages. Something like that would be a great added benefit to 6WB. Plus, VW just announced the new European Passat, with an available full digital cluster like the new TT (shown above). Crazy that VW can do this but BMW can't.

I'm taking delivery of an i8 very soon and the cluster is practically the same, though smaller. The graphics are i8 branded, but it's also still limited in what it can do.

Maybe in the next generation of cars (the GXX ones) they'll improve it a bit. If you've been in a new S-Class, you'll know what I'm talking about.
      10-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #72
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

The Cayenne has a small navi displayed in the bottom right side of the instrument cluster. It was not always well positioned for me. I prefer the BMW HUD.

I would love to have digital cluster for its color schemed and brightness, as well as the flexibility in display items it offers. However, HUD, to me, is far more practical for displaying critical information and more of a must have. The simplified navi in HUD is fabulous.

It would be great if HUD had a toggle switch to allow:

- 5-10 second display of time, date, outside temp
- viewing HP and torque meters ala iDrive display
- viewing parking proximity sensor graphics

The 6WB is well suited to show the iDrive main screen while its controller is in use.

I am sure many of us will upgrade cars to better pair them with our phones. It is a shame there is little backward integration and dealer retrofit for older cars. The one-size fits most of aftermarket solutions are not enticing.

..and back to @Opasha's achievement, I would only do it if I were half as handy and coding-proficient as he is.
      10-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #73
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
The Cayenne has a small navi displayed in the bottom right side of the instrument cluster. It was not always well positioned for me. I prefer the BMW HUD.

I would love to have digital cluster for its color schemed and brightness, as well as the flexibility in display items it offers. However, HUD, to me, is far more practical for displaying critical information and more of a must have. The simplified navi in HUD is fabulous.

It would be great if HUD had a toggle switch to allow:

- 5-10 second display of time, date, outside temp
- viewing HP and torque meters ala iDrive display
- viewing parking proximity sensor graphics

The 6WB is well suited to show the iDrive main screen while its controller is in use.

I am sure many of us will upgrade cars to better pair them with our phones. It is a shame there is little backward integration and dealer retrofit for older cars. The one-size fits most of aftermarket solutions are not enticing.

..and back to @Opasha's achievement, I would only do it if I were half as handy and coding-proficient as he is.
Give me a call and I'll walk you through it all if you decide to go through it. Or have someone you trust to unhook your cluster and I can walk you both through it. The coding portion I can help you via TeamViewer. It's very straightforward after you get the gold latches to unhook. The amount of pictures just make it appear more complicated than it really is.
      10-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #74
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Give me a call and I'll walk you through it all if you decide to go through it. Or have someone you trust to unhook your cluster and I can walk you both through it. The coding portion I can help you via TeamViewer. It's very straightforward after you get the gold latches to unhook. The amount of pictures just make it appear more complicated than it really is.
Dear opasha..I live in Peru, and I have a friend (experienced in bmw) who can do the installation... can I also count on you with the TeamViewer coding part? If so, I'mm be glad you pm me

Question: I read that every time I take my car to service, there will not be a problem with my dealer at all, right? any kind of service that require re-coding or appears failure alerts?
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #75
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
See my Post # 56:

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=56

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #76
bradbragg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 sDrive 35i

considering this

Although I agree with wdimagineer that BMW hasn't come anywhere close to realizing the full potential of this, I'm really tempted to do this. Doesn't look too hard after watching the videos and reading opasha's outstanding instructions.

When I follow the link, it gives me a price of about $1500 for the part. Is that correct? So it would cost me $1500 for the part and that's it if I install it myself?

Didn't think I would, but I am leaning closer to doing this.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #77
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Opasha

You brave soul....for taking on such a complicating task. I'm glad it worked out cuz it look gorgeous!

Now I might have to do that.

Z.
      10-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #78
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
Opasha

You brave soul....for taking on such a complicating task. I'm glad it worked out cuz it look gorgeous!

Z.
OMG, where have you been.
Yea, you should do it. Hahaha.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #79
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinBimmer View Post
Dear opasha..I live in Peru, and I have a friend (experienced in bmw) who can do the installation... can I also count on you with the TeamViewer coding part? If so, I'mm be glad you pm me

Question: I read that every time I take my car to service, there will not be a problem with my dealer at all, right? any kind of service that require re-coding or appears failure alerts?
Yes, I can help you. As long as all your coding is already setup and your ESYS works correctly. If not, take the time to set it up and learn it - everyone I have helped so far has done so. This is my only prerequisite. I don't have the time to set the whole thing up for you, but I can do steps 1 and 3 and the other coding issues I mentioned that I dealt with.

As far as taking it, this is only needed if your car is going in for major service where they have to reset your vehicle or perform any diagnostic coding, etc. Any ISTA/P related service as Shawn explained already and answered your question in his post #56 (post #75 to you above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbragg View Post
Although I agree with wdimagineer that BMW hasn't come anywhere close to realizing the full potential of this, I'm really tempted to do this. Doesn't look too hard after watching the videos and reading opasha's outstanding instructions.

When I follow the link, it gives me a price of about $1500 for the part. Is that correct? So it would cost me $1500 for the part and that's it if I install it myself?

Didn't think I would, but I am leaning closer to doing this.
Thanks, bud. Yes, it costs $1528.17. I got charged $68.77 credit card fee because I used credit card, so my total was $1596.94. Same applies to paypal I believe. However, if you do a direct bank transfer payment, there is no extra charge. You'll see all these options when you order. They ship via DHL (standard, so it takes about a week or so to arrive). That's the only cost to you except for the tools I mentioned. You'll need something similar to the hooks I showed in the OP if you want to pop out those latches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
Opasha

Z.
Z, good to see you back!! Thanks, man. It really is gorgeous in person. Let me know if you need any help with the coding process. I'm sure Ben can help as well.
      10-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #80
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Yes, I can help you. As long as all your coding is already setup and your ESYS works correctly. If not, take the time to set it up and learn it - everyone I have helped so far has done so. This is my only prerequisite. I don't have the time to set the whole thing up for you, but I can do steps 1 and 3 and the other coding issues I mentioned that I dealt with.

As far as taking it, this is only needed if your car is going in for major service where they have to reset your vehicle or perform any diagnostic coding, etc. Any ISTA/P related service as Shawn explained already and answered your question in his post #56 (post #75 to you above).
I really appreciate that. I'll do the learning part and let you know I go for this upgrade.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #81
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupe

Awesome write up!

The new dash cluster looks awesome - is this now standard on the 2015 editions?

We got a 2014 X5 50 for the Wife last year (one of the first ones ) - so far no real issues except for the drivetrain malfunction coming up lately - service is scheduled.

Would be looking to do this next spring - thanks for posting this - will save and ping you if I run into any trouble. I'm local to DC area in N.VA.

Great work - can't wait to do the same!
      10-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #82
Sarsippius3rd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X4 28i

Love it. Will this work in the X4?
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #83
E46driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 N51 328i

Jesus Christ it looks amazing..... How much did this cost after everything?
2009 Alpine White E92 N51 328i Automagic | Premium & Sport Pkg. | Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather Interior | M-Spor | BMW Performance Exhaust | Active Autowerke Headers | BBS CH-R | CPS Front Lip | Performance Front Grills | 888Concepts Custom Headlights (GONE)

2011 Alpine White E90 N55 335i Automagic
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #84
jmaville
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i xdrive M Sport

Garage List
That's awesome I am jealous I want that in my car....
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #85
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46driver View Post
Jesus Christ it looks amazing..... How much did this cost after everything?
See post #79. About $1600 with self install.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #86
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Now features on bimmerpost @opasha
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #87
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Stupid question, can it be done for the F30 ?! I know it's a different instrument cluster but maybe it's same dimension so it would work ?!
      10-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #88
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Wow that is awesome! Thanks for sharing