BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #1
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Auxiliary Heating Parameters

Hi All

I've been experimenting with aux heating in my F15 now the colder weather is starting to arrive. I don't suppose anybody knows of a more detailed guide to the functionality than the very limited details in the manual?

Basically it seems aux heating can be set with a 'departure time' or you can simply 'activate now' with the app or remote control.

What I can't establish is if I select 'activate now' how long will aux heating run for before shutting down? Also will it heat the cabin to the last selected temperature on the dash control or does it please itself and just provide hot air...

Furthermore if I select a departure time of say 06:00 assuming it's colder than 15 deg outside the car will pre-condition with heat. But I wonder how long before my departure time will it start the process of heating the cabin? And what happens at 06:00, does it shut down or does it give some additional period of grace if the driver is running late

There seems to be very scant information on such a useful (and expensive in the UK!) option. Anybody able to help?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
madzu4.00
      10-03-2016, 05:19 AM   #2
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Hi All

I've been experimenting with aux heating in my F15 now the colder weather is starting to arrive. I don't suppose anybody knows of a more detailed guide to the functionality than the very limited details in the manual?

Basically it seems aux heating can be set with a 'departure time' or you can simply 'activate now' with the app or remote control.

What I can't establish is if I select 'activate now' how long will aux heating run for before shutting down? Also will it heat the cabin to the last selected temperature on the dash control or does it please itself and just provide hot air...

Furthermore if I select a departure time of say 06:00 assuming it's colder than 15 deg outside the car will pre-condition with heat. But I wonder how long before my departure time will it start the process of heating the cabin? And what happens at 06:00, does it shut down or does it give some additional period of grace if the driver is running late

There seems to be very scant information on such a useful (and expensive in the UK!) option. Anybody able to help?

Thanks
Hi.

I've had the Aux Heating option since May '14; works a treat either via the App (on the iPhone, Key Fob or setting on the iDrive.).
I'll do my best to answer your questions........
  1. Basically it seems aux heating can be set with a 'departure time' or you can simply 'activate now' with the app or remote control.
    Correct!
  2. What I can't establish is if I select 'activate now' how long will aux heating run for before shutting down? Also will it heat the cabin to the last selected temperature on the dash control or does it please itself and just provide hot air...
    In my experience it runs for ~5 minutes before it shuts down.
    I don't know and haven't tested the temperature in Vs outside of the car.
    It's hot enough to melt whatever is on the windscreen and warm it up prior to leaving which is good enough for me. Shame it cannot switch on the heated seats

3. Furthermore if I select a departure time of say 06:00 assuming it's colder than 15 deg outside the car will pre-condition with heat. But I wonder how long before my departure time will it start the process of heating the cabin? And what happens at 06:00, does it shut down or does it give some additional period of grace if the driver is running late

I believe it works the timing backwards from the time you want the car to start from. I think it runs for 5minutes past the start time.
  4. There seems to be very scant information on such a useful (and expensive in the UK!) option.
    Agreed!
    Anybody able to help?

FYI if you have >100 miles left in your tank it won't start the Aux Heater so keep your tank topped up in the winter.

Its a great feature to have....its not on the 'e' which is a big pointer for me to stick with the 3D M Sport next year when I replace this one.
>happy after ~30k miles to date.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #3
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Hi.

I've had the Aux Heating option since May '14; works a treat either via the App (on the iPhone, Key Fob or setting on the iDrive.).
I'll do my best to answer your questions........
  1. Basically it seems aux heating can be set with a 'departure time' or you can simply 'activate now' with the app or remote control.
    Correct!
  2. What I can't establish is if I select 'activate now' how long will aux heating run for before shutting down? Also will it heat the cabin to the last selected temperature on the dash control or does it please itself and just provide hot air...
    In my experience it runs for ~5 minutes before it shuts down.
    I don't know and haven't tested the temperature in Vs outside of the car.
    It's hot enough to melt whatever is on the windscreen and warm it up prior to leaving which is good enough for me. Shame it cannot switch on the heated seats

3. Furthermore if I select a departure time of say 06:00 assuming it's colder than 15 deg outside the car will pre-condition with heat. But I wonder how long before my departure time will it start the process of heating the cabin? And what happens at 06:00, does it shut down or does it give some additional period of grace if the driver is running late

I believe it works the timing backwards from the time you want the car to start from. I think it runs for 5minutes past the start time.
  4. There seems to be very scant information on such a useful (and expensive in the UK!) option.
    Agreed!
    Anybody able to help?

FYI if you have >100 miles left in your tank it won't start the Aux Heater so keep your tank topped up in the winter.

Its a great feature to have....its not on the 'e' which is a big pointer for me to stick with the 3D M Sport next year when I replace this one.
>happy after ~30k miles to date.
Very useful, thanks for the input And I agree on the heated seats, in fact I'm sure one or two vehicles in the BMW range have this feature, perhaps 7-Series. Or perhaps it's a feature you get with one of the extended climate systems.
Appreciate 1
Baunton319.50