BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-14-2014, 11:34 PM   #23
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
Thanks for the info, Ill try that if the trick below fails.

The product that homelink suggested to me:
https://www.shopssl.de/epages/es1056.../?Locale=en_GB

I am going to try first ordering the 94335e key fob as homelink said that it is not the same as my 1A56397, that key is compatible with my lifter and is directly found on the homelink compatibility lift.

BTW, where do you get the rolling codes from?
All the codes for each Company are listed in the manual for this Universal Remote. Also, the manual switch way as I mentioned is just looking at the back of your lift and seeing what switches are turned ON to the right or left, which is the CODE. Then you just do the same manually when you open up the universal remote. Everything for both methods is explained nicely.
      08-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #24
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

I coded new openers found on the list and Success!!! Unbelievable happiness when I pushed the button and the door finally opened. One Web page said that the key fobs are identical and I believed it because they look identical and have same specs, the only difference was that there was the homelink logo on the new package, so the lesson is, if your Exact key code is not found on the homelink list, it won't work. Now I can finally get back to enjoyin the car...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #25
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
I coded new openers found on the list and Success!!! Unbelievable happiness when I pushed the button and the door finally opened. One Web page said that the key fobs are identical and I believed it because they look identical and have same specs, the only difference was that there was the homelink logo on the new package, so the lesson is, if your Exact key code is not found on the homelink list, it won't work. Now I can finally get back to enjoyin the car...
Nice, glad it worked!
      09-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #26
vadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: suv

Wife and I spent over an hour trying everything tonight, can't get it working either. Grrrrr
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #27
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

If you are trying everything you might as well try these procedures from other makers (Lexus and Benz) we own. I think the basic tech comes from one or two vendors, and is not unique/specific to BMW.

1) try resetting and clearing the memory for the car's remote by holding buttons 1 and 3 simultaneously for a long time. I can't recall how it flashes when it clears but try a few times.

2) when you go through the learning process of holding both the remote and the car's button keep the source remote very close to the car button. Adjacent.

3) try replacing the remote's battery.

Step 1 is especially important if you bought a demo or a used and the buttons were programmed already. Also, in case you programmed it strangely in one of your attempts.
      09-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #28
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Or just buy the universal remote I posted, code it to your garages and then code it to your car. It worked for me without any issues since one of my old remotes wasn't coding to the car.
      02-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #29
zweebach
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
I had a remote that wasn't working with button 2 for my second garage. So, here's what I did. I have an old overhead system as well. It's a Vemco By Stanley. I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-KL...ge+door+remote.
I purchased this universal remote and finally had success programming the homelink buttons. Thanks for the very helpful information. I was feeling silly that in a tech-loaded car like the X5, I needed to carry around a garage door remote.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #30
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweebach View Post
I purchased this universal remote and finally had success programming the homelink buttons. Thanks for the very helpful information. I was feeling silly that in a tech-loaded car like the X5, I needed to carry around a garage door remote.
My pleasure. Glad it worked .
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #31
Cautny3007
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3

Lightbulb Possibility

I have a Chamberlin Garage Door Opener. Couldn't program Homelink with a universal remote that came with the house. Went to Lowes, got one designated for Chamberlin, programmed it, and the Homelink programed exactly as advertised. I'll keep the one I bought, but once you're done you can always return it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #32
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Had the same problem. Garagdoor unit was compatible but the ab wasn't. I drove to the installer and learned a compatibel ab of them into the car. After that I've learned that ab to the garagedoor unit at home. Works like a charm now.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 02:00 AM   #33
coolidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35i

For those who went through the procedure yet it still seems to not work after programming, I noticed I have to hold the button on the X5 mirror 2-3 seconds before the garage door will start to open/close. This was a lot longer than I anticipated, the remotes that came with my garage door opener activate instantly. So at first I thought it wasn't working on the X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #34
humble wife
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW x5

Here are some tips we gathered also from all over the web! ...and together, they worked!

Clear the buttons as described above. Then...

1. Back your x5 OUT of the garage.
2. Turn OFF the engine.
3. With your foot OFF the brake, press the start button so only the dashboard lights up.
4. Hold your hand-held remote AS CLOSE as you possibly can to the button you are programming.
5. Press your hand-held remote button continuously but every 3-5 seconds re-press it (some cycle off after the initial click).
6. When you get the light flashing you need near your x5 button, set the hand-held aside.
7. Press your x5 button once (in/out), THEN PRESS AND HOLD it. (Some take 2 presses to activate after programming).

If nothing happens, move to the next step of programming your x5's remote button with the Learn button on the back of your opener mounted in the garage. (One site warned that you MUST do both - program from the hand-held and then, from the actual machine in the garage.)

Again, press the x5 button twice (holding on the second press) the first time you use it after programming. This activates your newly programmed button.

We were able to program 2 buttons to 2 garage doors in about 12 minutes with this info!

(....and Hubby programmed a friend's BMW that he bought new years ago and could never get the Homelink buttons to open his garage. wow he was happy!!)

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #35
Rockford335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I'm new to the BMW family and was trying to program a 2009 335i to an Overhead Door Phantom garage door opener.

For what it's worth I had all sorts of challenges getting the car button on my rear view mirror to take the code from the handheld garage door opener. I tried all kinds of things with the car sitting in the garage or right outside of the garage. I followed the directions of pressing the two buttons at the same time, I tried holding the two buttons for a minute, you name it I tried it and nothing worked.

In the end, what worked for me was to back the car out of the range of the garage door opener itself. When I then pressed the rear view mirror button I wanted to program and the garage door opener button - it immediately gave me the fast blinking light indicating acceptance of the code.

I then drove the car to the front of the garage and proceeded with the second stop of hitting the learning button on the garage door opener and then pressing the rear view mirror button 3 times and I was all set. It's worked perfectly since.

Maybe this will save others the frustration I went through.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 08:42 AM   #36
dpoplin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550ix

Programming garage door opener

I just spent 2 hours also trying to figure out homelink but finally did:
I just setup my 2018 M550ix and 2019 X5

1. Make sure your opener is compatible homelink @ www.homelink.com

2. Hold the outer two buttons (of the 3) on your mirror until a fast green light is flashing. This resets the settings.

3. Pick a button to set up your garage door of the 3 on the mirror. I used the left button. Hold your remote 1-3" from the mirror and push the hand held garage opener remote button and the mirror button until the orange light on the mirror turns to a fast green flashing light.
*Mine did not work when the green was a solid light. It has to be flashing

4. I then had to get a ladder and go to my garage opener unit and hit the code reset button. Mine turned to a blue light on at your opener then turned a flashing red. WHEN the red is flashing hit your car mirror button 4 or more times until the garage door works.
*You have to do this fast as the red button doesn't flash very long.
It's easier to do with 2 people
Also the car power has to be on. You cannot do this with the car off.

5. NOTE: I have a double garage door (one door for two cars). I have two hand remotes (one for each car) and only one garage opener attached to the garage ceiling.
*I had to use the SAME hand remote for both cars. Very important.

It all works great now.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 04:48 PM   #37
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

How's your range? My m3, Lexus and 4Runner can open/close the garage door over 100ft away. But the x5m has a shorter range. I need to be st least ~ 20ft before anything happens.

Anyone else have this issue ?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #38
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
How's your range? My m3, Lexus and 4Runner can open/close the garage door over 100ft away. But the x5m has a shorter range. I need to be st least ~ 20ft before anything happens.

This thread prompted me to program my homelink. Have yet to test the distance; however, as another poster noted, need to hold the button down for a couple of seconds vs. a single push in the hand-held opener.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #39
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Quote:

This thread prompted me to program my homelink. Have yet to test the distance; however, as another poster noted, need to hold the button down for a couple of seconds vs. a single push in the hand-held opener.
Yes I hold it down for a few seconds until I see the garage door moving. But the range seems to still be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #40
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I hold it down for a few seconds until I see the garage door moving. But the range seems to still be an issue.
Mine is greater than 20 feet that I can tell you.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #41
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6GC, X5M, M3, X7, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsjr70 View Post
Ok, so after 2 hours of trying to program the garage door opener I had zero success! Any pointers? Yes, I guess I'm the idiot who can't do it......lol
I read several guides and tried every trick & procedure I found on the forums. What worked in the end was using a different opener. I have four openers that all look identical. The first one I tried wouldn't work on my X5M or M6GC. I tried using a second remote and it worked on the first try with only one press in the learning step. Hope this helps someone. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #42
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

My range is over 1-block.
I hold mine down as I’m about to turn on the block to my house and it’s open when I arrive. I find that it works 100% of the time when I hold it down for 2-3 seconds versus a quick push.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:26 AM   #43
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I hold mine down as I’m about to turn on the block to my house and it’s open when I arrive. I find that it works 100% of the time when I hold it down for 2-3 seconds versus a quick push.
1 block?! Wow. Didn’t think it would work at that distance but will give it a try on mine. I’m in the habit of opening the garage door right as I approach the driveway.

Definitely need to hold the button down for a few seconds though. A single press does nothing.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #44
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
did you do anything special/different to your garage door opener?
Appreciate 0