BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

12-25-2015, 02:34 AM   #67
m-ch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Third gen Cayenne will be here within a year. I am sure the new Turbo S will be mental.
no absolutly not, cayenne turbo s is sheduled for 2018. the facelift just showed up and has a lifecycle off about 3 years
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 02:42 AM   #68
m-ch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlkir5 View Post
Unfortunately I have to agree. After driving them both I can say that Porsche has better brakes and is car for all purposes with much better quality.

Car I tested had 4000km on clock and I would say that I do not belive the 3.7 time. More like 4.5 as compared to 435xd. Also too many rattles and squaks for a brand new car.

Hope that Porsche brings it to another level with new cayanne. (X6M is looking way better than Porsche outside)
my cayenne turbo s had the ceramic brakes and they were definitly not better than the compound brakes of the x6 m. Did you check the stop disctance of the x6m from 200kmh-0... even better than the m5/6 with around 134meters according to different tests. Also if you brake hard on the x6 m there is almost no dive in movement compered to the cayenne. the cayenne ceramics were fin but not outstanding at all. Dont know what Bmw did but braking hard from highspeed (250kmh) on the german highways is realy good, no fading at all
Appreciate 2
      12-25-2015, 02:45 AM   #69
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLou1222
I don't like the GLE coupe at all, the side specially the rear quarter looks utterly tall, the black center wheels make it look smaller than it is, and the nav screen is small. But it does have good exhaust notes as to all AMG engines.
Once thing M should improve is the engine sound.
That's why I like it, the GLE got bigger interior space.

It is a big mean looking machine, with great sound, and the ride is not harsh like the X5/6Ms.

The Xs performs great on the track, but BMW sacrificed some comfort in order to achieve it.

That's why I said if I were in the market for one, it will be a tough choice between the two, they both have qualities that I like.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 03:18 AM   #70
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post

It is a big mean looking machine, with great sound, and the ride is not harsh like the X5/6Ms.

The Xs performs great on the track, but BMW sacrificed some comfort in order to achieve it.

That's why I said if I were in the market for one, it will be a tough choice between the two, they both have qualities that I like.
I can understand that the GLE has some good qualities, but exterior (and interior) design is IMO not one of them. Where I live, I see the same GLE every morning on the road. The front isnt that bad, but it looks a bit weird and stretched upwards. But the rear and rear quarter looks just . The rear tires are wider than the rear fenders and the rear tires have a considerable amount of camber. The rear is stretched tall like the front, but it looks a lot wierder with the rear tires. Worst of all, when the driver accelerates, the whole car squats immensely and then it just looks completely ridiculous, like a car from a cartoon. Complete design fail IMO, unacceptable from such a car company like Mercedes Benz.

EDIT: http://cdn2.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/...?itok=AptoV0tL

Here is a picture trying to detail my point. Here it actually looks good, but in the flesh its just a mess, I cant find a picture to express this. Can you see how wide and pushed apart the rear tires are, like on an M car, but because the rear isnt flared, the tires stick out from the side, making it just look bad IMO, eventhough the car looks good in the pictures.

Last edited by FilipMPower; 12-25-2015 at 03:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 04:59 AM   #71
Jai 302
Banned
Rep
Drives: F13 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey View Post
Anyone here actually owns a Cayenne Turbo 2012+? Let's hear your opinions and not people who hate cayenne simply because it's pricey and a little slower! Porsche owners rarely talk about BMW. It's not the case with BMW owners
I sold my 2012 Cayenne turbo a few months ago as it ran out of warranty. I don't have experience with the new X5M but the turbo was more confidence inspiring than the last X5M that I drove.

Also another important factor that most people don't consider is the off road ability. Cayennes are very capable in the sand, and most people here in UAE who buy SUV's (including myself) prefer to take them off road, and taking an X5 or X6 for dune bashing is simply asking for trouble. In fact all the other cars in that comparison test (LRRRSSVR, GLE and Cayenne) are better off roaders than the X5/6.

I personally wouldn't buy one because I don't believe in "SUVs" that are never meant to leave the road. There are better purpose built sports cars for that. Maybe the American perspective on things is different. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #72
Ash777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korntera View Post
Uhh... Maybe I am mistaken here but Motor trend always shows a slower 0-60 than Car and Driver. I thought Motor Trend was the one that didn't romp on the cars. I think of my other three performance cars, Car and Driver shows them doing a .2-.4 Second faster 0-60 than MotorTrend does.

After reading that article my hands are sweating in anticipation of our new X5M. And as the test said, no driver will ever take on the track... Uh. this WILL be my wet weather track car lol. I can tow my normal track car and if it rains I just disconnect the trailer and take the X5M out!
Your garage though
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #73
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Loved this review
      12-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #74
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai 302
Quote:
Anyone here actually owns a Cayenne Turbo 2012+? Let's hear your opinions and not people who hate cayenne simply because it's pricey and a little slower! Porsche owners rarely talk about BMW. It's not the case with BMW owners
I sold my 2012 Cayenne turbo a few months ago as it ran out of warranty. I don't have experience with the new X5M but the turbo was more confidence inspiring than the last X5M that I drove.

Also another important factor that most people don't consider is the off road ability. Cayennes are very capable in the sand, and most people here in UAE who buy SUV's (including myself) prefer to take them off road, and taking an X5 or X6 for dune bashing is simply asking for trouble. In fact all the other cars in that comparison test (LRRRSSVR, GLE and Cayenne) are better off roaders than the X5/6.

I personally wouldn't buy one because I don't believe in "SUVs" that are never meant to leave the road. There are better purpose built sports cars for that. Maybe the American perspective on things is different. Just my two cents.
The X5M comes with very wide summer tires. It's not going to get far on sand and snow. Switch the tires out, then you will have a fair comparison. It's no RR off-road, but it should take any VW products with similar tires.

As for SUVs, I bought it for speed, practicability, and safety. In the US, there are a lot of trucks on the road. You don't want to get T-boned in small car.

My brother is an ER doc, he also drives an X5 after seeing many fatal car crash cases gone through his hospital.
      12-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #75
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai 302
Quote:

Very true. Cayenne offers off-road as well as crazy speed and handling and the Cayenne and Range are less sport oriented than the current generation of the x5/6m so that does factor in. Partly why the ride in the new x5/6m are pretty bad comparably. No chance an x5/6 could do what the do off road by any means.
Again, the cayenne turbo S embarrasses an x6m on the ring and there was something very off with the performance of the turbo S in this test. Just compare to the car and driver test they did on the turbo S. It nearly matches the x6m in a straight line despite that the x6m is far underrated.
Maybe we will see more tests but all signs point to point to the ages cayenne still being the best based on what it can do on road and on track and off-road. That's usually how it's been. Bmw comes out with the new x5/6m when the cayenne is at the end of its generation and the cayenne still has the best performance.

I also did hear the new cayenne will be here in 2017.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-s-test-review

Test of the 2014 Cayenne Turbo S (550 hp).

Zero to 60 mph: 4.1 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.6 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 25.7 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.9 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.6 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.5 sec @ 113 mph

The new one is NOT slower and likely traps 114/115 so something def up with those numbers. Anyone who believes differently is severely mistaken.

Last edited by EfEightyM3; 12-25-2015 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #76
dan99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i

Still cant wrap my head around that its faster than an m3
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #77
enzom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M/20 720S/20 992 C4S

Quote:
I have a 2016 Cayenne Turbo S. Best vehicle I have ever owned, and I have owned many.

I had a 2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged and a 2015 911 Turbo at the same time. I did not like the Range Rover after getting the 911 because it made me realize just how awful the steering was in that truck. Test drove the X5M when it first came out. Loved it. Almost made a deal to trade my Range Rover Sport for the X5M, but it didn't work out. Biggest issue for me was the lack of height adjustment in the X5M. We had lots of snow last winter, and folks just could not keep up - parking lots, driveways, etc. On snow tires, I was able to raise my Range and climb out of most driveways and park in parking spaces with a foot of snow. The front lip on the X5M is just too low to do that. I wanted a performance truck that drove like a sports car and could take me anywhere. And I didn't want to come to find that replacing the front spoiler of the X5M was now part of my routine maintenance.

So I stopped by my Porsche dealer for the one year service on my 911 in June. They had a brand new 2016 Cayenne Turbo S. Made the deal right there to trade in both my Range Rover and 911 Turbo for the Cayenne Turbo S.

I love the truck. It feels like a 911 with a periscope. Yes - there is some turbo lag, no doubt. That was the hardest thing to get used to. But God does it handle great. Steering is so precise, tracking on corners is great. Brakes GRAB and GRAB. The PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control) is a revelation. Car stays perfectly flat on highway curves at 90 mph plus. Amazing sense of stability. Quiet on the inside (did not come with performance exhaust) but loud on the outside. Very high quality components and interior. You can see the effort in assembly. And it manages to have more room in the back seat, hold more in the hatch than my Range but still cast a much smaller shadow.

I am sure that in a different climate I would be completely satisfied and in love with the X5M, but the inability to raise the front spoiler was a deal breaker for me.

I did miss having a dedicated sports car - so I picked up a 16 Z06 with Z07 package. Why run 12s when you can run 10s?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #78
Yoyoniner
Private
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfEightyM3 View Post
Very true. Cayenne offers off-road as well as crazy speed and handling and the Cayenne and Range are less sport oriented than the current generation of the x5/6m so that does factor in. Partly why the ride in the new x5/6m are pretty bad comparably. No chance an x5/6 could do what the do off road by any means.
Again, the cayenne turbo S embarrasses an x6m on the ring and there was something very off with the performance of the turbo S in this test. Just compare to the car and driver test they did on the turbo S. It nearly matches the x6m in a straight line despite that the x6m is far underrated.
Maybe we will see more tests but all signs point to point to the ages cayenne still being the best based on what it can do on road and on track and off-road. That's usually how it's been. Bmw comes out with the new x5/6m when the cayenne is at the end of its generation and the cayenne still has the best performance.

I also did hear the new cayenne will be here in 2017.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-s-test-review

Test of the 2014 Cayenne Turbo S (550 hp).

Zero to 60 mph: 4.1 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.6 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 25.7 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.5 sec @ 113 mph

The new one is NOT slower and likely traps 114/115 so something def up with those numbers. Anyone who believes differently is severely mistaken.
Car and Driver Test Results 2015 X5M:

Zero to 60 mph: 3.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.0 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 24.5 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.4 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.1 sec @ 115 mph
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #79
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post

I can understand that the GLE has some good qualities, but exterior (and interior) design is IMO not one of them. Where I live, I see the same GLE every morning on the road. The front isnt that bad, but it looks a bit weird and stretched upwards. But the rear and rear quarter looks just . The rear tires are wider than the rear fenders and the rear tires have a considerable amount of camber. The rear is stretched tall like the front, but it looks a lot wierder with the rear tires. Worst of all, when the driver accelerates, the whole car squats immensely and then it just looks completely ridiculous, like a car from a cartoon. Complete design fail IMO, unacceptable from such a car company like Mercedes Benz.

EDIT: http://cdn2.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/...?itok=AptoV0tL

Here is a picture trying to detail my point. Here it actually looks good, but in the flesh its just a mess, I cant find a picture to express this. Can you see how wide and pushed apart the rear tires are, like on an M car, but because the rear isnt flared, the tires stick out from the side, making it just look bad IMO, eventhough the car looks good in the pictures.
That's why GLE got bigger rear interior space, cuz it is fat in the rear. It's a choice between utility or looks.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #80
Kewl X5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Best part of the video review is when they add the "U" in front the GLE...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #81
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast
These so called luxury trucks are cute and all for the wife that wants to drive fast....but when I think of or want a big, comfortable, useful,purpose built SUV/truck......I'm looking at an Escalade or Yukon Denali. These are fast don't get me wrong, just confusing.
Not so cute when you get owned by an X5M on the road or track. It's as fast as an E92 M3 on the Nurburgring and just as quick as the new M3/M4 on the straight. It corners at .98G, not many sport cars can come close. With a tune, it runs low 11s.

It's a monster. I came from an F80 M3. The X5M is at another level as far as luxury, sound, and power.

Exactly what a normal SUV owner intends on doing with it. No BMW SUV is easy on the eyes. Come on maybe .0001% of x5M owners will ever track. There is no appeal to packing all that power in a family mover to about 99% of the people on this planet. It just doesn't make sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #82
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Exactly what a normal SUV owner intends on doing with it. No BMW SUV is easy on the eyes. Come on maybe .0001% of x5M owners will ever track. There is no appeal to packing all that power in a family mover to about 99% of the people on this planet. It just doesn't make sense.
I have to agree with JNoSol on his points. I love how my X5 M looks. It looks better than any other SUV out there, in my eyes. I think your argument falls flat about 99% of people out there not being interested in the kind of power of the X5 M. These vehicles aren't designed for 99% of the people out there, they are designed and sold for the crazy ass 1% of us to whom those things are important. You don't buy one of these because you need it, you buy it because you want it, and it fills a desire. You'd also be surprised the amount of owners of the F85/86 who may track theirs now that they are so capable on the track, unlike the last generation wannabe track sufficient X5 M.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #83
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
I have to agree with JNoSol on his points. I love how my X5 M looks. It looks better than any other SUV out there, in my eyes. I think your argument falls flat about 99% of people out there not being interested in the kind of power of the X5 M. These vehicles aren't designed for 99% of the people out there, they are designed and sold for the crazy ass 1% of us to whom those things are important. You don't buy one of these because you need it, you buy it because you want it, and it fills a desire. You'd also be surprised the amount of owners of the F85/86 who may track theirs now that they are so capable on the track, unlike the last generation wannabe track sufficient X5 M.
Ok, good points.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #84
NickRac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan99 View Post
Drive one and you won't have any issue again!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #85
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Stop looking at numbers! Porsche Cayenne Turbo is the best in class! Quality components + best handling! Those that don't agree about handling, never drove a Porsche turbo! Don't have enough money for Porsche, go and buy BMW X5/6 M.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 02:36 AM   #86
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

I think its incredible that these sort of vehicles exist in the mainstream...faster than dedicated sports car like the M3 or a Lambo...the line is blurred. I'm not sure how many will track their X5 but it just shows what can be achieved.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 06:30 AM   #87
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan99 View Post
I know, it's shocking. I thought it was because of the HP advantage on the straights. But then again, the M5/6 are slower as well. A really impressive beast has been made by m division. Let's hope the new M5 will be inspired by it.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 08:09 AM   #88
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Big Porsche fan, and I'd much rather have the X5 M over the Cayenne Turbo. The Cayenne just does nothing for me in the looks department.
Appreciate 0