05-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
DocOct
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 - F15 X5

Sunroof stuck open, seems no power

Hey Guys,

I parked our X5 on the driveway today with the sunroof open. Went back out and tried to close to sunroof with no effect. It doesn't even make a sound at all or any movement. The sunshade is in the full open mode and the roof is about half way open by sliding, not tilt.

I tried the reinitialization with pushing the button up for a minute with the car running but still no movement or sounds at all.

I searched throughout all of the forums and people talked about getting jammed or with power failures but seems like this is not the case. Any ideas?
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 12:03 AM   #2
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d

Sounds like a fuse to me
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #3
DocOct
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Took it in today. Seems like a battery reset was all that was need and all is good now. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
alphaod1148.00
      05-17-2016, 06:07 AM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
usually you push button in for 30 seconds, and it will go thru several sequences like tilt, open and then close.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
DocOct
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Yeah, that's a reset procedure. I tried it three times with no effect. It looks like our car stopped recognizing the sunroof somehow. They tried the reset sequence with no effect either before doing a battery reset.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Glad you got it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
Velocifero
Meat Popcicle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35d xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOct View Post
Took it in today. Seems like a battery reset was all that was need and all is good now. Thanks.
I wanted to thank you for this info. About 2 AM EST this morning when the wife and I got home and parked, we were unable to close the completely opened sunroof with the button not responding on our 2015 xDrive35d.

After Googling, we tried holding the sunroof button down as others mention, turned the vehicle on and off, locked/unlocked the vehicle, but to no avail. I did find this thread, but didn't know where the location of the battery was (owner's manual and Google didn't help) We even called BMW roadside assistance with wasn't much help either and told us to cover it until we could take it to a dealer. They did tell us the general location of the battery, but couldn't officially recommend its reset.

The battery is located under the rear-most plastic portion of the trunk after removing the five 8mm bolts. To my surprise, it looked like there were two batteries, though connected somehow. The battery on the left had a black ground cable and the battery on the right had a brown power cable. We loosened the 10mm nut and disconnected the ground cable for 5 minutes. Dunno if it needs to be that long, but that's what we did and it worked! The sunroof button responded after that and was able to be closed.

If I hadn't found this thread, I wouldn't have thought of this fix, so thanks!

TL;DR, Resetting the battery does fix a stuck sunroof.
Appreciate 1
Gzza1.00
      06-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #8
DocOct
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocifero View Post
I wanted to thank you for this info. About 2 AM EST this morning when the wife and I got home and parked, we were unable to close the completely opened sunroof with the button not responding on our 2015 xDrive35d.

After Googling, we tried holding the sunroof button down as others mention, turned the vehicle on and off, locked/unlocked the vehicle, but to no avail. I did find this thread, but didn't know where the location of the battery was (owner's manual and Google didn't help) We even called BMW roadside assistance with wasn't much help either and told us to cover it until we could take it to a dealer. They did tell us the general location of the battery, but couldn't officially recommend its reset.

The battery is located under the rear-most plastic portion of the trunk after removing the five 8mm bolts. To my surprise, it looked like there were two batteries, though connected somehow. The battery on the left had a black ground cable and the battery on the right had a brown power cable. We loosened the 10mm nut and disconnected the ground cable for 5 minutes. Dunno if it needs to be that long, but that's what we did and it worked! The sunroof button responded after that and was able to be closed.

If I hadn't found this thread, I wouldn't have thought of this fix, so thanks!

TL;DR, Resetting the battery does fix a stuck sunroof.
That sounds stressful at 2am! Glad everything turned out well.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #9
jg425
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x35i

So yesterday my sunroof quit working and I searched and found this post. If the reinitializing does not work, unplug the negative battery cable, tap the brake pedal a few times, reattach the cable and the sunroof will be operational again.
Appreciate 1
Gzza1.00
      05-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #10
Gzza
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M30d

Quick clarification needed..

So glad I found this thread before taking a trip to the dealer!

My F15 pano roof is not responding, and the 'button press' reset procedure is not working.

Looks like I just need to unhook the negative terminal off the battery as others have suggested, but wanted to confirm if I need do this whist the engine is running or not? or ignition on or not?

Also, does unhooking the negative terminal have any other impact on the car? i.e. does it reset anything else that might mean I need to take that trip back to the dealer? (as I don't have any coding tools/ability!)

Thanks in advance guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzza View Post
So glad I found this thread before taking a trip to the dealer!

My F15 pano roof is not responding, and the 'button press' reset procedure is not working.

Looks like I just need to unhook the negative terminal off the battery as others have suggested, but wanted to confirm if I need do this whist the engine is running or not? or ignition on or not?

Also, does unhooking the negative terminal have any other impact on the car? i.e. does it reset anything else that might mean I need to take that trip back to the dealer? (as I don't have any coding tools/ability!)

Thanks in advance guys!
Definitely not running and ignition off. And you will have to set up clock and will lose your trip/consumption data. That's about it.
      05-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
Gzza
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Definitely not running and ignition off. And you will have to set up clock and will lose your trip/consumption data. That's about it.
Excellent thanks! Has just started raining (I live in Scotland afterall!) but thankfully sunroof currently fully closed. Will give it a go when things dry up just in case it goes wrong and jams open, and report back with my experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #13
Gzza
Scotland
Rep

All sorted. The battery reset did the trick as advised. I only left the negative lead disconnected for about 20-30 seconds and hooked back up.

Only settings that got wiped were the clock (which quickly reset itself using BMW online after a few mins) and the trip computer. All other stuff like seat memory, radio presets and bluetooth pairings are still there.

Thanks again folks
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #14
Tricy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M F85

Hi!This trick’s worked on my car too,I’d kept the negative lead disconnected just for 10 sec.

No other setting was disturbed ��!

Thank you guys!������
Appreciate 0