BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-19-2016, 12:33 AM   #1
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

sunroof popping noise

ran into a problem with the sunroof, im gonna just start off by saying it is not the clicking noise experienced during acceleration with the sun roof open as seen here:

my problem is pretty different from the above video. my issue is more of a bubbling/popping sound coming from the sunroof area. my car is completely stationary so vehicle speed does not affect the noise. now what affect the noise is the HVAC fan speed. the higher the fan speed setting, the louder/more frequent the noise. weather the HVAC is on recirculate auto/manual/off mode does not affect the noise, again only the fan speed does. this noise also only happens when the car is completely sealed, meaning doors closed, all windows up, and sunroof closed. once the seal is broken, re: windows opened, or doors opened, the noise stops. i have captured a few videos where u can hear the noise and me playing around with the fan speed to affect the bubbling/popping noise. the noise is coming right above the head area of the driver and passenger.

part 1 of the video is of the drivers side corner, u can see water dripping if u watch closely, not entirely sure if its supposed to do that but there is a drain area right below it so i guess thats ok

part 2 of the video is of the passenger side corner, and then moving to the drivers side corner, in this video u can hear 2 distinctive bubbling/popping noise from both sides

part 3 of the video is a shot of whats under the sunroof with it opened, notice the drain hole. i suspect it "may" be blocked causing water to build up there and when the cabin air pressure is higher than outside (due to high fan speed settings and the interior being completely sealed) the air pressure pushes past the water blockage and "pop", kind of like when u use a straw and blow into a glass of liquid, one bubble at a time

this is really really weird... not impressed... and knowing how imcompentent the dealers are around my area, i dont have faith in them fixing the issue...
      09-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Definitely strange for sure. Where did you purchase the vehicle? I'd start by taking it back there. One of the top rated dealers in North America is Brian Jessel on Boundary. If you're concerned about the competency of your local dealer...that's a deeper problem. My X5 hasn't been perfect by any means, but Jessel has done a great job at keeping me happy and fixing every issue I've had.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep

Brian Jessel IS the dealer i bought my X5 from, but previous dealings with their service department is questionable. Their sale depart is GREAT, but vehicle service wise... lets see, from my previous dealings on my 335is:

1: brand new vehicle with 500KM on it, discovered the tires were all cracked in between treads, not their fault and replaced under warranty. took the car in, specifically told them not to wash the car. picked up the car, did not inspect the rims carefully as it was full of wheel lube for mounting tires. Came home, washed tires and wheels, ALL WHEELS were damaged with a good nick or scratch on them. went back to complain in a calm manner, they blame me for causing the damage. i know i know should've inspected the vehicle on the spot, but again, due to wheel lube i cannot. customer relations reluctantly agreed to replace all wheels as a good will.

2. car going in for service, lot boy floors car from point A to point b causing wheel spin, unnecessary downshifts to hear the exhaust, all caught on camera. i now have a note on my profile that says to "unplug camera when customer brings vehicle into service" LOL

3. car developed a loud ticking noise when idling, engine rpm affects the noise, and sound is very intermittent. as sound is intermittent, i took a video to show the server adviser of the issue as of course, the day i bring it in the car doesnt make the noise. u know what the notes were from the service tech? youtube video is not enough proof of noise, engine cover is missing which acts as a sound deadening, and cx has after market intake, please ask customer to return car to stock before coming back. my car had the cover removed and intake on since 10.000KM and it did not have that ticking noise so why would those things affect it. i later found the problem myself and it was coming from the fuel pressure regulator.

so really, i dono if i want to go back to that place to service my vehicle LOL.
      09-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

OMG! Flashback moment of a Seinfeld episode when Elaine was complaining about a "skin rash," and she peaked in her medical file and was labeled "difficult."

I saw a thread that talks about a plastic flap or actuator that is causing that popping noise. However, it was on a E series and was more toward the center dash area. Plus, I believe it only lasted for about 6-10 seconds.

The noise is not as annoying as the video you first posted. But it is loud enough to get on some people's nerve. Like hearing the faucet dripping in the middle of the night. I hope you find the fix soon and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 11:04 PM   #5
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

I have started to hear this noise too but only when the sunroof and window is open. I think this is the same noise Alan fixed by wrapping some tape around something.
I haven't had time to search for the thread and can't do it on my phone - search on iPhone doesn't work anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 01:39 AM   #6
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09 View Post
OMG! Flashback moment of a Seinfeld episode when Elaine was complaining about a "skin rash," and she peaked in her medical file and was labeled "difficult."

I saw a thread that talks about a plastic flap or actuator that is causing that popping noise. However, it was on a E series and was more toward the center dash area. Plus, I believe it only lasted for about 6-10 seconds.

The noise is not as annoying as the video you first posted. But it is loud enough to get on some people's nerve. Like hearing the faucet dripping in the middle of the night. I hope you find the fix soon and keep us posted.
this is the thread ur probably referring to, http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=14
the issue with the above thread is the sunroof drain plug that exits the rear of the trunk, similar issue but not quite the same area. when air pressure increases in the cabin, it pushes open the rubber flaps and when pressure equalizes, the rubber flap closes causing pressure to build up again, repeat, and u get the flapping, and u get the noise. now im trying to find if such a flap exists near the front area above the drivers and passengers head.
      09-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #7
TallTrees
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
this is the thread ur probably referring to, http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=14
the issue with the above thread is the sunroof drain plug that exits the rear of the trunk, similar issue but not quite the same area. when air pressure increases in the cabin, it pushes open the rubber flaps and when pressure equalizes, the rubber flap closes causing pressure to build up again, repeat, and u get the flapping, and u get the noise. now im trying to find if such a flap exists near the front area above the drivers and passengers head.
Definitely not the drain flap issue....that one only happens with Windows down at decent speed. A head scratcher...hope you figure it out. I know it would drive me insane.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I have this issue also, but only happens sometimes...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #9
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I have this issue also, but only happens sometimes...
its been sunny for the past 3 days, im guessing the drains are dried up so no flapping noise for me too. this pretty much points to a drain issue...?
      09-28-2016, 09:56 PM   #10
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep

quick update

been sunny for the past few days, and today the noise came back in a different way. this time it sounded like the first video that was uploaded by another member. this time the sound was caused by me travelling at high way speeds with the drivers side window down. once i roll up the window the noise stops. so im gonna attempt to look into the rear drain hole in the tail gate area.
      09-29-2016, 06:58 AM   #11
TallTrees
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
quick update

been sunny for the past few days, and today the noise came back in a different way. this time it sounded like the first video that was uploaded by another member. this time the sound was caused by me travelling at high way speeds with the drivers side window down. once i roll up the window the noise stops. so im gonna attempt to look into the rear drain hole in the tail gate area.
You are describing the drain flapping noise above. You can also confirm that by closing the sunshade when it's happening, the noise is from air rushing into the gap between the sunshade and the sunroof glass, as it escapes out of the tailgate it goes through the drain flaps causing them to flutter. You just need to increase the flaps weight by either wrapping in electrical tape or you can stick on a rubber bumper like I did.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 04:44 AM   #12
norad
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5 edrive

Dear TOPEC.
Thank God.Its not only me. I have severe sound from the sunroof, and especially/obviously post rain/washing the vehicle.
Did you manage to solve the problem?
Regards
G
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #13
BeaminBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

I have the same issue on a 2018 X5.... driving me insane!!!!

Old: 2013 335i x-drive |retired 05-2016 ||2014 320i x-drive | retired 03-2018 ||2016 340i x-drive |retired 03-2018 ||2018 X5 |retired 06-2021||2018 430i | retired 10-2021
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #14
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaminBimmer View Post
I have the same issue on a 2018 X5.... driving me insane!!!!
Ha! Me too! Not to the point of driving me insane - yet, but a nuisance nonetheless!
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #15
Cranswick852
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M 40d

Very interested in this thread. I have the exact same issue as your video #2. It only comes occasionally, most often when it's cold, and disappears as soon as I break the cabin seal (wind down a window or crack the sunroof). No point taking it to the dealer as I can't replicate it at will.

For me, this problem commenced after another had been resolved. My head-lining was saturated, as was the floor. I suspect this was caused by blocked drain flaps at the trunk door. Anyway, dealer resolved that problem which has never re-occurred, but has been replaced by the occasional popping noise as in your video. Not often enough to drive me mad, but I'd love to know if a fix so will be following this thread
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #16
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep

forgot about this thread i made. did more experiments in regards to this issue through out the years, and found a way to replicate the problem. issue only happens when it rains, so pretty much points to the sunroof drain/drain hoses. issue can be replicated if u pour a lot of water into the drain hole and turn up the fan with the car sealed. i brought the car into the dealer (brian jessel BMW) and advised them of the problem. they had the car for a day and of course they cannot replicate the problem, even after i tell the service adviser specifically on how to replicate the problem. they did find another service bulletin for f15s that some sun roof drains are installed improperly from the factory and they had to remove and replace some parts in the drain area telling me the issue has been fixed. of course this doesnt fix my initial problem and is still present. i just learn to live with it and not go back to the dealer other than the free oil changes.
      02-19-2019, 01:20 AM   #17
Liquidmonkey
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35i

I've had my X5 for about a month now and have had it into the dealer twice to have this fixed. The last time they cleaned the drains and replaced the sunroof seal. A day later the noise is back. I'm so glad I found this thread as I thought I was the only one with this issue!

I love this vehicle but that noise is going to seriously drive me insane. I live in Seattle so if it only happens when it rains...I'm screwed. I may go back to the dealership and point them to this thread.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep

let me know if u managed to get this "fixed" as i havnt had any luck with my dealership. im still living with the noise. i just close the sun shade when it rains so i dont hear the noise, i know it only a temp fix but its better than them tearing apart my cars.