BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Why I prefer to do the little stuff myself!

Here is a good example . . .
Today I installed OEM front and rear mud flaps myself.

The first pic shows the last step which shows that big self tapping sharp screw on the left which goes through the rear tabbed hole on the mud flap and through the fiberboard material and into a locking clip.
Using the mud flaps hardware was fine on the right side as there is nothing in that area behind the mud flap to be damaged by a long protruding screw..

But the left side I noticed if that screw protruded that much it would be only a matter of time before that black hose (which looks like a vent hose of some sort) would chafe through as it was touching the back of the pointed screw.

So I drilled a hole in the metal shielding above the hose and put some shrink wrap (didn't shrink it) on the wire tie to give the hose a little more cushion where it's now cradled by the wire tie away from the screw, but it was still to close for me..

I replaced the sharp screw with a stainless steel bolt, washers and a SS nylock nut which the bolt end does not protrude now.

My point is we would pay a bmw dealer $100-150 an hour for them to install the OEM flaps and hardware and wonder why a year later that hose is broken through and that screw caused that hose to leak. Poor design.

* cool the way bmw uses that vane looking thing around that hose, so it can't rattle around. Reminds me of a rubber impeller blade that an outboard water pump uses. Its little touches like this vane that pushes the build quality and cost up on a bmw.

I'm guessing that rubber hose rather than being a vent hose is the hose that carries the ww fluid to the back wiper.

Replaced screw with this bolt and nut on the left side:

This is the hose that was touching the mud flap screw on the left side (the white is the shrink wrap I used to further cushion the wire tie):

Last edited by expidia; 06-25-2017 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

theres no way i would drill holes for mudflaps on my ride.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
theres no way i would drill holes for mudflaps on my ride.
To each his own

Just so you know when you get the OEM flaps they are pre-fit to the SUV already using the existing bolts.

What you are actually doing is removing the two expanding plastic plugs that are already in the fender arch, placing the flap over the same holes and pushing in two new expanding black plugs.

The rears actually do require one more upper hole which is drilled and a plastic plug is popped in.

If you were to remove the flaps no one would ever know they were on there.
the example in my above post is screwing a self tapping screw into the rear of the wheel well for a tab in the back but you actually don't even need one as the bolts underneath hold the flap in place along with the adhesive that comes on the outside edge.

I keep my cars 2-3 years and pristine, so I'm a stickler about chips to the paint because I get top dollar when I sell them myself.

I have to hand it to bmw as these are the first flaps I've installed that actually look like the are part of the car's contours. The Audi ones I installed a few months back don't look anywhere near as form fitting.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 10:58 PM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep

get running boards next time. they'll prevent chips better than flaps.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:56 AM   #5
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
get running boards next time. they'll prevent chips better than flaps.
Not to insult owners that like them . . . my personal opinion is there is nothing fuglier than a running board on a beautifully contoured X5 :

They look better on ugly range rovers (all though range rovers have been getting a little shapelier).

I'd actually like a running board. especially for me having to hop beyond the frame hitting me every time if I dont to avoid the X5 hitting the back of my suit pants and leaving dirt on the back of my calf area

The X5 is even higher than my last toyota highlander (probably the higher wheels and tires).

I think the electric running boards are great. But never on my X5 as they would be a haven for salt and sand and ice in my northeast winters.

I bought the X5 as I like its crossover look. I'm not a fan of a trucky look with the boards especially no electric versions. There is a great youtube video that I watched how they install the electric boards step by step.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ya, running boards . . . here is an X5 that parks in my garage with running boards. They look just lovely :
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
Not to insult owners that like them . . . my personal opinion is there is nothing fuglier than a running board on a beautifully contoured X5 :
Yet you added mudflaps?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney View Post
Yet you added mudflaps?

running boards don't look that bad.
look at my chip free paint!

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 06:25 AM   #9
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

I have to say sharp looking ride (because it looks exactly like mine)

Are those the electric boards?

Where I live in the Northeast I want to protect the rear lower quarter area too.
I know me and I hate to see a mark or scuff on the sills.
I doubt that I would ever actually step on the board for fear of scratching them up.

I know my Wife would like them.

I did look into the them when I first bought the X5 as an accessory but went with a clean look for my tastes.
The flaps if you were looking at the X5 you probably wouldn't even notice they are on there.

Now on my wife's Audi they are just square things that hang there and also protrude more for greater paint protection from the sides than the contoured bmw one's.

Thx for you earlier responses to my thread. i also had a clear bra on the hood nose installed last week but only 13 inches back. Great product as you can't see it. $393 with tax applied by a local tint shop. Coatings like ceramics don't stop road chips. This clear film does.

Funny, the viewing tally on the right of each thread shows how particular most of us are about our rides. Only here could we see over 15,000 views on "illuminated door sills"

Last edited by expidia; 06-28-2017 at 06:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #10
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
I have to say sharp looking ride (because it looks exactly like mine)

Are those the electric boards?
they are factory installed running boards. they are fixed. dont move.
Appreciate 0