BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-03-2015, 12:31 AM   #1
OlegUK
Kazakhstan
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Harman Kardon settings F85

Hi,

Can you share your Harman Kardon settings in F85 (bass, treble, equalizer settings)
May be somebody adjust sound with some equipment?
I found only these in the internet:
Equalizer:
100 0
200 -1
500 -2
1k +1
2k +2
5k -1
10k 0
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

I have B&O now, but when I had HK I still 0 out the EQ for every BMW. +1 Bass / +5 treble. I like my music a bit brighter.

Always use high quality sound source and you should't have to touch the EQ. If you have a premium sound system, it should replicate what the music studio did with hundreds of thousand dollars in equipment. And each person's taste in music and sound can't be more different. So sources on the internet on EQ setting may not apply to your ears and music collection.
      09-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
Ash777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I have B&O now, but when I had HK I still 0 out the EQ for every BMW. +1 Bass / +5 treble. I like my music a bit brighter.

Always use high quality sound source and you should't have to touch the EQ. If you have a premium sound system, it should replicate what the music studio did with hundreds of thousand dollars in equipment. And each person's taste in music and sound can't be more different. So sources on the internet on EQ setting may not apply to your ears and music collection.

Hi there,

Did you think that the B&O upgrade was worth it over the HK?

Thanks!
Ash
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash777 View Post
Hi there,

Did you think that the B&O upgrade was worth it over the HK?

Thanks!
Ash
Comparing X5 to X5, yes. The B&O system is brilliant and worth the upgrade. The sound is the most accurate I've heard from a BMW sound system and no distortion at full volume. Those who think B&O isn't worth it is because they heard it during a test drive, where the speakers aren't broken in and they didn't have a nice CD (or hi-fi source of audio). I haven't heard Bower & Wikins in the new 7 series, but I'm sure that would be a bit better than that B&O.

Still, none of BMW OEM sound system can touch the Acura RLX's ELS/Krell audio system.
      09-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #5
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Comparing X5 to X5, yes. The B&O system is brilliant and worth the upgrade. The sound is the most accurate I've heard from a BMW sound system and no distortion at full volume. Those who think B&O isn't worth it is because they heard it during a test drive, where the speakers aren't broken in and they didn't have a nice CD (or hi-fi source of audio). I haven't heard Bower & Wikins in the new 7 series, but I'm sure that would be a bit better than that B&O.

Still, none of BMW OEM sound system can touch the Acura RLX's ELS/Krell audio system.
How would you rank the Burmester from Porsche/Mercedes?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post
How would you rank the Burmester from Porsche/Mercedes?
I'm afraid that I'm not qualified to rank them. I can only compare with cars that I spent in for more than 2-3hrs in, with hi-fi sound source. Burmester is very nice, I had a chance to spend 30min in the new AMG GT S with this setup. I also test drove the 991 C4S with the Burmester, amazing audio (but I was more distracted on how nice the engine sounded). I would put it in the same category as Mark Levison, B&W, and B&O.

Different chassis delivers different sound. If you put the same B&O system in a 3 series, it might not sound the as good as in the X5 or 5series. Engineers spend a lot hours perfecting the sound based on the chassis (Lexus for example spend over 2,000hrs on tuning Mark Levinson in their LS), and I would say BMW spend the least amount of hours on audio compared to other luxury car makers (BMW always lack in the audio department, maybe they focus more on performance).

So comparing audio brands across car platforms isn't relevant at this level. Comparing HK and B&O on the same car, like the X5, there's no contest. B&O blows HK out of the water here.
      09-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #7
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm afraid that I'm not qualified to rank them. I can only compare with cars that I spent in for more than 2-3hrs in, with hi-fi sound source. Burmester is very nice, I had a chance to spend 30min in the new AMG GT S with this setup. I also test drove the 991 C4S with the Burmester, amazing audio (but I was more distracted on how nice the engine sounded). I would put it in the same category as Mark Levison, B&W, and B&O.

Different chassis delivers different sound. If you put the same B&O system in a 3 series, it might not sound the as good as in the X5 or 5series. Engineers spend a lot hours perfecting the sound based on the chassis (Lexus for example spend over 2,000hrs on tuning Mark Levinson in their LS), and I would say BMW spend the least amount of hours on audio compared to other luxury car makers (BMW always lack in the audio department, maybe they focus more on performance).

So comparing audio brands across car platforms isn't relevant at this level. Comparing HK and B&O on the same car, like the X5, there's no contest. B&O blows HK out of the water here.
Thanks. Your response is extremely helpful. You're right that the layout of each car contributes to a different sound. So many things can affect the quality of the sound heard.

It's funny because it's important to calibrate the advice you receive (from here/from anywhere). (How many times have we selected vacation lodging on TripAdvisor and realized that the four star hotel as reviewed did not measure up to what we'd consider four stars?) The one comment that encourages me is your acknowledgement that you may not be qualified to rank the Burmester systems, due to lack of experience or time with those systems. But I like that you came back to your experience with the B&O in the X5.

Thanks for sharing and making me more excited to finally get my car. I'm sure it is exceptional.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Your response is extremely helpful. You're right that the layout of each car contributes to a different sound. So many things can affect the quality of the sound heard.

It's funny because it's important to calibrate the advice you receive (from here/from anywhere). (How many times have we selected vacation lodging on TripAdvisor and realized that the four star hotel as reviewed did not measure up to what we'd consider four stars?) The one comment that encourages me is your acknowledgement that you may not be qualified to rank the Burmester systems, due to lack of experience or time with those systems. But I like that you came back to your experience with the B&O in the X5.

Thanks for sharing and making me more excited to finally get my car. I'm sure it is exceptional.
No problem. What colors/options are you getting and when? Which car are you coming from?
      09-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No problem. What colors/options are you getting and when? Which car are you coming from?
Placed my order in August, no allocation yet. Every option except the night vision. Looking to do an individual build with azurite/smoke white.

Currently in an E AMG. Was close to pulling the trigger on an S AMG for the performance/size, but realized that the X5M was a better match for lifestyle. I feel I've made the right decision, but it seems that BMW doesn't want to build/sell me a car.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Placed my order in August, no allocation yet. Every option except the night vision. Looking to do an individual build with azurite/smoke white.

Currently in an E AMG. Was close to pulling the trigger on an S AMG for the performance/size, but realized that the X5M was a better match for lifestyle. I feel I've made the right decision, but it seems that BMW doesn't want to build/sell me a car.
Damn... The good news is, less allocation = rare = holds value better. If it's easy to get one, then owning an X5M wouldn't feel as special. The X5M is a wise choice, you'll love the power and handling. I sometimes forget I'm driving an SUV taking corners and I came from an F80 M3.

Here in KC, I think I have the only F85 X5M.
      09-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #11
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Damn... The good news is, less allocation = rare = holds value better. If it's easy to get one, then owning an X5M wouldn't feel as special. The X5M is a wise choice, you'll love the power and handling. I sometimes forget I'm driving an SUV taking corners and I came from an F80 M3.

Here in KC, I think I have the only F85 X5M.
I was the only X5 M on all of Cape Cod, until this week. Someone is picking up a sapphire black on black X5 M at my local dealership, either today or tomorrow. I saw it when we were there test driving other M cars, trying to find a replacement for our other BMW. We were also invited in to see the new 750, which, while nothing we'd order, was quite impressive.

The car we are most seriously considering ordering to replace our other BMW, is a 2016 M4. We spent an hour in one today. It was exhilarating to drive, but I wasn't saddened to get back into the X5 M, in the least. In such a large number of ways, I prefer the X5 M to the M4. I guess it's good the M4 won't be my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #12
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I was the only X5 M on all of Cape Cod, until this week. Someone is picking up a sapphire black on black X5 M at my local dealership, either today or tomorrow. I saw it when we were there test driving other M cars, trying to find a replacement for our other BMW. We were also invited in to see the new 750, which, while nothing we'd order, was quite impressive.

The car we are most seriously considering ordering to replace our other BMW, is a 2016 M4. We spent an hour in one today. It was exhilarating to drive, but I wasn't saddened to get back into the X5 M, in the least. In such a large number of ways, I prefer the X5 M to the M4. I guess it's good the M4 won't be my daily driver.
The M4 is a good choice. I had an F80, loved it. The F80 M3 is actually more rare than an F82, so it holds its value a lot better. My dealer gave me a deal when I traded my F80 for the X5M. They said if it was an M4, they would've gave me $3-4k less. Just something to consider.
      09-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #13
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The M4 is a good choice. I had an F80, loved it. The F80 M3 is actually more rare than an F82, so it holds its value a lot better. My dealer gave me a deal when I traded my F80 for the X5M. They said if it was an M4, they would've gave me $3-4k less. Just something to consider.
Thanks for the info. The other M car will be my partner's, and he is adamant that it not be a four door. The M6 is still on the consideration list, but he prefers smaller, and more maneuverable, which the M4 has the advantage to over the M6. We don't go into car buying expecting anything other than money burnt in the pursuit of excitement and happiness. No car is an investment, they all depreciate, so buy what makes your heart zing, and enjoy the vehicle while you own it, is our philosophy.

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 09-22-2015 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 05:27 PM   #14
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Still no allocation, Luca?! Did your dealership finally confess that the holdup was lack of allocation, and not the individual order, as they professed before? If I recall, they had some interesting excuses for the delay.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #15
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I have now 300 miles on my X5M but to be honest I am not happy with the B&O sound. I agree that 95% I am streaming music from my iPhone or the FM radio is on. Never listen to CD's anymore. While streaming I have to crank up the volume almost to full and on while on radio its ok nothing spectacular.
I had Jeep SRT with HK sound in it and too me it felt louder and never had to crank up the volume.

Not worth the $3700 upgrade , but its more for the looks I guess. Do you have any suggestions with the settings ?

Quote:

09-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #16
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

Not sure if this would work with the X5M layout, but someone can try this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
i agree actually, and will use my home system as a bargaining chip some day I were to move. While its all built in now, I can easily have it removed for a few grand and reinstalled if the new owner is not interested

as for my EQ, please see below. This is optimized for digital sound, electronic music, CD based or pure AIFFs. Area will sound best on Satellite radio with this config, though it does well for most stations.

neversummer87, turn down that bass a bit on the first screen and then optimize first using the 1kHz frequency...good luck

http://www.6post.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=18
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #17
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

This is from m5post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
A number of people on this board have been using my Bang and Olufsen settings. I found that the settings I used only worked at high volumes, but didn't really provide the richness of sound I expected at lower volumes.

I then turned to my friend @blue.thunder - that German fellow of impeccable taste with his own custom Individual colored M5 - to see if he could take my settings a step further to create high fidelity at any sound level. Blue Thunder came through and his settings are superb. I am sharing them here.

We didn't use any calibration software so I won't pretend these meet any objective standard of perfection, but I have to say that music with these settings sounds pretty awesome with any kind of music at any volume.

Use Expanded Mode for these settings.

Expanded Mode
Treble +7
Bass +6
Fader -6

EQ:
100 Hz +7
200 Hz +3
500 Hz +1
1 kHz -2
2 kHz -4
5 kHz -2
10 kHz +3
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #18
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyguy View Post
I have now 300 miles on my X5M but to be honest I am not happy with the B&O sound. I agree that 95% I am streaming music from my iPhone or the FM radio is on. Never listen to CD's anymore. While streaming I have to crank up the volume almost to full and on while on radio its ok nothing spectacular.
I had Jeep SRT with HK sound in it and too me it felt louder and never had to crank up the volume.

Not worth the $3700 upgrade , but its more for the looks I guess. Do you have any suggestions with the settings ?
If I use Bluetooth to stream music to the X5 M, the sound is awful, and I have to turn up the volume on the X5 M to a much higher setting than if I use a snap in adapter, or use a USB cable to connect my music source. How are you getting your music to the radio to play through the speakers?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #19
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
Still no allocation, Luca?! Did your dealership finally confess that the holdup was lack of allocation, and not the individual order, as they professed before? If I recall, they had some interesting excuses for the delay.
Sadly, no. I sent you a PM with the particulars.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 05:53 AM   #20
Rjtexas
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M, 2018 M4 conv

Quote:
Sadly, no. I sent you a PM with the particulars.
I would suggest calling around to other dealerships and ask about allocation. My local dealer had 4-5 month wait. Called to dealer about 2 hours away and they had a build slot available with a build in 2 weeks. Took 5 weeks from order to get car.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 06:43 AM   #21
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjtexas View Post
I would suggest calling around to other dealerships and ask about allocation. My local dealer had 4-5 month wait. Called to dealer about 2 hours away and they had a build slot available with a build in 2 weeks. Took 5 weeks from order to get car.
Thanks. Exploring options as I type. I hope to have a better picture by the end of the day, definitely by the end of the week.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #22
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Exploring options as I type. I hope to have a better picture by the end of the day, definitely by the end of the week.
My dealership just got one X5M build allocation. Just shot you a PM with the sales manager's contact. You need to act quick, it just popped up on his sheet... He said it is so hard to get a build allocation, I'm still the only F85 owner in KC.

Last edited by JNoSol; 09-23-2015 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 1