BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #1
jugdish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Battery Replacements and Extended Service Contract

Inquired about the extended service contract that takes your service to 100k miles, and the BMW dealer stated that the $2495 cost does not include battery replacement (which he states would be about $400 every 20k miles). Anyone else finding that? I swear I read that others batteries were being replaced for free with the extended service plan (not extended warranty, but service).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
Inquired about the extended service contract that takes your service to 100k miles, and the BMW dealer stated that the $2495 cost does not include battery replacement (which he states would be about $400 every 20k miles). Anyone else finding that? I swear I read that others batteries were being replaced for free with the extended service plan (not extended warranty, but service).
Since the now periodic replacement of the battery is a maintenance item it would not be covered under the service contract any more than an oil change. The question become whether or not it is covered under the extended maintenance contract, a description of which can be found here:
http://content.bmwusa.com/microsite/...chure_2014.pdf

Footnote 2, aka the 'fine print', states:

"2 The BMW Maintenance Program covers all factory-recommended maintenance services as determined by the Service Interval Indicator for all new eligible MY 2004 and later BMW vehicles.
Specific additional items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear are also covered. The maintenance coverage period is for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes
first. Exclusions from coverage include: gasoline, gasoline additives, windshield washer fluid, fluid top-offs, battery, tires, wheels, wheel alignment and tire balancing. All work must be
performed by an authorized BMW Center. See the Service and Warranty Information booklet for specific terms, conditions and limitations. Further information can also be obtained from your
authorized BMW Center."

So unless there is a later document than this that has included the battery, it seems clear the battery is excluded from the extended maintenance program.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 12:23 AM   #3
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
It may not include battery, but if you don't drive long distances a lot you can get a battery tender to top up the battery once a month or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 12:42 AM   #4
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
It may not include battery, but if you don't drive long distances a lot you can get a battery tender to top up the battery once a month or whatever.
Alpha, did u make it to NYC yet? Last photo I saw was Arizona.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
This is the route I'm going to try once my X5 is off the 48/80K maintenance (going in for its last dealer service next week). No way I'm replacing the battery twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Since the now periodic replacement of the battery is a maintenance item it would not be covered under the service contract any more than an oil change. The question become whether or not it is covered under the extended maintenance contract, a description of which can be found here:
http://content.bmwusa.com/microsite/...chure_2014.pdf

Footnote 2, aka the 'fine print', states:

"2 The BMW Maintenance Program covers all factory-recommended maintenance services as determined by the Service Interval Indicator for all new eligible MY 2004 and later BMW vehicles.
Specific additional items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear are also covered. The maintenance coverage period is for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes
first. Exclusions from coverage include: gasoline, gasoline additives, windshield washer fluid, fluid top-offs, battery, tires, wheels, wheel alignment and tire balancing. All work must be
performed by an authorized BMW Center. See the Service and Warranty Information booklet for specific terms, conditions and limitations. Further information can also be obtained from your
authorized BMW Center."

So unless there is a later document than this that has included the battery, it seems clear the battery is excluded from the extended maintenance program.
The exclusions listed are for items that have never been included in the maintenance program included with the new vehicle warranty. Now that regular battery replacement has been made part of the maintenance schedule, I've had mine replaced at 20K at no charge, I would think BMWNA will have to include this with the extended maintenance contract which I purchased for up to 125K
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09 View Post
Alpha, did u make it to NYC yet? Last photo I saw was Arizona.
Yeah I did. I went up to Mt Rushmore, posted a pic on that. Then a few hundred miles in SD, I had a left rear tire blowout. Luckily I had a spare since having runflats was kind of useless. Drove about 600 miles on the spare donut to the only shop that had the tire in stock. Didn't take anymore car pics after that, but I'll take one later
Appreciate 0