BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-19-2017, 11:48 PM   #1
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

How well does Active Cruise Control work on X5?

I understand it doesn't steer or help you stay in lane, but I heard it gets confused and doesn't slow down on curves, is that correct?
Also, does it keep too much space between you and the car in front of you stop & go traffic?
      10-20-2017, 12:07 AM   #2
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I understand it doesn't steer or help you stay in lane, but I heard it gets confused and doesn't slow down on curves, is that correct?
Also, does it keep too much space between you and the car in front of you stop & go traffic?
It all depends on what you expect, its not intelligent, it doesn't know you are turning or there is a car merging or if there is construction or change in lane or anything else.

Its supposed to work on straight patches of road and works well.

In stop and go, the distance is quite reasonable by some standards (I loved using it in Toronto) but quite unreasonable by other city standards (way too much distance for Vancouver as people kept cutting in). So roughly I can tell you if you are going 20mph, you will keep atleast 2 car distance at the lowest speed. Enough to safely stop.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 12:27 AM   #3
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiljain22 View Post
It all depends on what you expect, its not intelligent, it doesn't know you are turning or there is a car merging or if there is construction or change in lane or anything else.

Its supposed to work on straight patches of road and works well.

In stop and go, the distance is quite reasonable by some standards (I loved using it in Toronto) but quite unreasonable by other city standards (way too much distance for Vancouver as people kept cutting in). So roughly I can tell you if you are going 20mph, you will keep atleast 2 car distance at the lowest speed. Enough to safely stop.
Oh, that's why there are some cars in stop and go traffic that always keep way too much distance in front - gets many drivers mad lol. I realize it now - good to know it's not drivers fault
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 12:36 AM   #4
Marky Mark
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 xDrive35i

You have to select the proper distance in the settings... In NYC, I fluctuate between settings 2 and 4.

It works very well, but only if your sensors/car is clean.
MPPK+MPE, Premium Package, xLine, Driver Assistance Plus, Driver Assistance Package, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Cold Weather Package, Night Vision w/Pedestrian Detection, ACC Stop& Go + Active Driving Assistant, harmon/kardon Surround Sound System, Space-Saver Spare, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control, Poplar Wood Trim, towing package
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:20 AM   #5
kj71109
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 40i

Works well on straight roads only. I find it actually pretty bad compared to my 17 Ford Raptor I just sold before this car. When a vehicle passes by on the freeway, and clearly is going faster once they change lanes in front of you, the X5 will slow down back to its safe distance, instead of realizing the car ahead is going faster. This is with the setting at one bar, as I have it coded that way. My Raptor would never do this. I could even take curves with that system, and it would figure it out. My X5 on a curve pings the car in the other lane and slams the brakes. It is one of two faults I have with my new X5. The other one being lane departure warning, pointless I feel. My Raptor has lane keep assist and would basically drive itself down the freeway. My truck was easier to drive on long trips, but the noise and ride got to me is the reason I sold it. Everyone said that truck was like an Audi or BMW, but it clearly wasn't. Interior was cheap, and rode like shit. Anyways, if I had to order again, I wouldn't for where I live, only because I experienced how the system should really work.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj71109 View Post
... When a vehicle passes by on the freeway, and clearly is going faster once they change lanes in front of you, the X5 will slow down back to its safe distance, instead of realizing the car ahead is going faster.
^^ +1

X5 will do everything it can to create the distance it’s set at, even when a car is flying away from you. It would be fine if it would just coast until the vehicle is at a safe distance, but it actively applies the brakes to get the distance. Per instructions, you can override the cruise by pressing the gas pedal in those instances where you want to follow closer.

I would not buy this option again, it frustrates me more than it adds convenience. Get LED headlights instead...
Appreciate 1
kj71109188.50
      10-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
Dilmorecg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

I like it a lot. Granted my only experience with ACC is with this car. I use it every time I take the freeway. I have only experienced it picking up a car in the next lane on a corner once or twice and it recognizes and speeds back up quickly.

It is also great is almost stop and go traffic. I do wish it had a longer period after a complete stop to start going again. I think its like 3 seconds, then you have to hit resume or press the gas. I find the space decent in stop and go at the closest setting. Its close enough that if a car pulls into my lane at slow speeds I have to brake sometimes before it registers there is a car there.

I agree with kj71109 about when a car pulls into your lane it always slows down first. A little annoying. Also, on the lane departure warning, I have mine turned off because it goes off all the time.

Its nice to be able to just set your cruise and just steer. I would definitely get it again.
      10-20-2017, 10:37 PM   #8
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Interesting. I do not usually experience the braking when a car pulls in front of me but is going faster than me. It usually does nothing unless the car is really close, especially at highway speeds. I have found that if you set the speed to approximately the general speed of traffic it behaves better. For example if you are in stop and go traffic and have it set to 75 mph, it accelerates and brakes more aggressively than if you had it set for 50 mph. I have found in stop and go traffic that 50 mph and 1 bar distance works for 98% of the time.

This is my second favorite feature of my X5 - the V8 being my favorite!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:02 PM   #9
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

I like this feature. It’s not perfect. To me, it’s very useful in highway or the countryside roads. But, as many said above, you have to pay attention when your front object is disappeared (for example when on curves) or there is the new object inserting between you and the original front object (someone cuts you over). This isn’t TESLA auto-pilot, but the advanced cruise control.

With the regular cruise control, when you’re being cut over, will you slow down to keep distance or you will keep the same distance but slowly cruise or you will take a quick brake?

ACC can’t make the decision for you but use the default rule to brake and keep the distance you have configured as long as the new object is in front of you. If it’s not doing so, BMW will soon learn why there are so many attorneys in US.

But in the straight roads or the stop-and-go in the city, this ACC is helpful. In the trips, I have gained a little bit more time to enjoy the ride and view.

Anyway, the snowy, big rain, mud roads, may interfere your ACC. It’s the driving assistance and it can’t replace your driving skills, eyes, and brains.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:12 PM   #10
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

Btw, does anyone knows what ZN0 Extended Collision Mitigation is? This is listed insides MY18 ZDB Driving Assistance Plus Pkg.

Is this new? Someone said 7 has this feature but I couldn’t find the detailed explanation. He also said it’ll help you pull over your car back to the middle if your lane departure warns you when your hand still touches the wheel.

This isn’t in my MY15 X5 Driving Assiatnace Plus but it’s listed in MY18.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:55 PM   #11
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
Btw, does anyone knows what ZN0 Extended Collision Mitigation is? This is listed insides MY18 ZDB Driving Assistance Plus Pkg.

Is this new? Someone said 7 has this feature but I couldn’t find the detailed explanation. He also said it’ll help you pull over your car back to the middle if your lane departure warns you when your hand still touches the wheel.

This isn’t in my MY15 X5 Driving Assiatnace Plus but it’s listed in MY18.

Thanks.
I think it works on faster speeds vs slower speeds on "regular" collision mitigation? Or is it the system that scans 2 cars ahead of you? I doubt BMW would have that at this point.