BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
Anwar
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 i35x

Optimum driving technique?

So when I'm approaching standing traffic, is it better to shift to neutral at high speed and cruise to a stop or decelerate while still on drive?
And since I'm not a fan of the hold function, while stopping in traffic, is it better to stay on the brakes while still on drive or shift to neutral instead ?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d

Anwar, if you want to coast (meaning most of the times the car will be in neutral) and use a tiny bit of fuel, put it in eco pro mode in stead of switching to neutral. But if this leads to extra braking there is no benefit in cost in my opinion. If breaking on the engine (zero fuel flow) will prevent break intervention in the same traffic situation, than I would choose the last option.

If however you're rolling down a small slope with no braking necessary I would choose the first
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
Anwar
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 i35x

I was more concerned with wear and tear, fuel in Kuwait is dirt cheap
I was told that selecting neutral at high revs eventually damages the gears, but I trust this forum has people with a wealth of knowledge in such matters.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

never ever ever go into neutral on public roads while in moving traffic in an automatic car.... in case of emergency you need to have the ability to maneuver yourself out of danger either by speeding up, or jerking left or right, which you will need throttle to avoid danger.

in a manual, it is very rapid to get back in gear with throttle. on an auto, the car will slowly match gear and engine revs and not allow you to throttle rapidly enough to get moving... test this scenario in eco pro on a downward slope. let the car coast, the drivetrain will disengage, then smash the throttle and notice the lag...

just keep it in gear, and use engine breaking...maybe use shifter to shift down.

engine breaking is very healthy
      08-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
Zopal
Rep
Drives: X5

It is not good to the transmission at all. Just see the engine with the hood open when somebody switch from N to D while the car is stopped.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
Terp335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Jouster
never ever ever go into neutral on public roads while in moving traffic in an automatic car.... in case of emergency you need to have the ability to maneuver yourself out of danger either by speeding up, or jerking left or right, which you will need throttle to avoid danger.

in a manual, it is very rapid to get back in gear with throttle. on an auto, the car will slowly match gear and engine revs and not allow you to throttle rapidly enough to get moving... test this scenario in eco pro on a downward slope. let the car coast, the drivetrain will disengage, then smash the throttle and notice the lag...

just keep it in gear, and use engine breaking...maybe use shifter to shift down.

engine breaking is very healthy
Agree, keep it in gear for sure.

However, I would think down shifting frequently (at every stop) would produce extra wear on the transmission and I'd prefer my brakes get worn than my transmission.

Edit: I realize the transmission down shifts on its on. I'm referring to manually down shifting to keep engine revs high instead of braking as what causes unnecessary wear on the transmission that I'd rather use brakes to accomplish.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
switchman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540i '15 X5 '03 530i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35i  [0.00]
2018 MW 540i  [0.00]
brake pads replacement's cheaper than tranny, leave auto trans engage when stopping
Appreciate 0