Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Tints?

Hi Guys,

I'm going to Tint my X5 soon but I'm kind of Confused... So let me explain, Here in Qatar we get Extremely High Temperatures (up to 120 F) and I can't keep my Car without Heat Insulated Tint because I'd be Cooking Myself whenever I get into the Car during the Day, BUT recently the Laws Changed and What is Required is:
- Front and Rear Windscreens a Maximum of 5% Tinting
- Driver and Passenger Windows a Maximum of 10% Tinting
- Rear Passenger Windows up to the Owner...

My car is Black Sapphire, I'm gonna go Legal with the Front and Rear Windscreens and Front Windows (5%, 10%) but do you think I should tint the Rear windows just like the Front or should I go darker... I'm thinking I'd tint the rear 30% or do you think it wouldn't look nice... I'm really confused
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

Do the best you can to keep it all uniformed.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks
Do the best you can to keep it all uniformed.
I definitely will, I'm dealing with a Good Company, it's just that I'm kind of hesitant on the combination
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Is there any factory X5 tint in Qatar? In the US, everything behind the front door comes with darker windows.

To keep out heat, more important than percentage of tint, is to use a tint that is designed to keep out the heat. The percentage of tint usually used in tint discussion refers to the amount of light that is allowed to be transmitted through the tint. While it helps to keep heat out, it is a poor indicator of heat transmission.

Check out 3M Crystalline and Huper Optic.

I went with 3M Crystalline, IIRC:
- 90% front
- 70% front doors
- 90% everything behind front doors.

I wanted to go with Huper however it has a more reflective quality that better matches a factory S-class tint. I went with 3M because it matched the factory tint better.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney
Is there any factory X5 tint in Qatar? In the US, everything behind the front door comes with darker windows.

To keep out heat, more important than percentage of tint, is to use a tint that is designed to keep out the heat. The percentage of tint usually used in tint discussion refers to the amount of light that is allowed to be transmitted through the tint. While it helps to keep heat out, it is a poor indicator of heat transmission.

Check out 3M Crystalline and Huper Optic.

I went with 3M Crystalline, IIRC:
- 90% front
- 70% front doors
- 90% everything behind front doors.

I wanted to go with Huper however it has a more reflective quality that better matches a factory S-class tint. I went with 3M because it has matched the factory tint better.
No, my X5 was US Made... But you know every country has its own Specs, Here it's basically European Specs but they're more oriented for Hot Countries (Bigger Radiators and that stuff)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:07 AM   #6
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

If I am reading your numbers correctly, I am not sure how well you will be able to see when driving at night.

The screens on the rear windows help. Also the BMW sun shade is sturdy and I find it essential when temps hit 90 and above.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:09 AM   #7
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno
If I am reading your numbers correctly, I am not sure how well you will be able to see when driving at night.

The screens on the rear windows help. Also the BMW sun shade is sturdy and I find it essential when temps hit 90 and above.
Ohhh I forgot to mention that % is how dark the tint is, so 5% lets in 95% of the Light and 10% lets in 90% etc...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:16 AM   #8
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_alnimah
Quote:

Ohhh I forgot to mention that % is how dark the tint is, so 5% lets in 95% of the Light and 10% lets in 90% etc...
It's reversed in the U.S. 5% tiny is VERY dark one only allows 5% of light through the windows bum assuming that's where the confusion came from. I've never had tint that light but I know clear heat rejecting tint exists because it's used in commercial buildings. As long as it has a good heat rejection (no matter how clear it is) you should be fine.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #9
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's reversed in the U.S. 5% tiny is VERY dark one only allows 5% of light through the windows bum assuming that's where the confusion came from. I've never had tint that light but I know clear heat rejecting tint exists because it's used in commercial buildings. As long as it has a good heat rejection (no matter how clear it is) you should be fine.
Aha, But if I did opt for my original Plan which is 5% (95% US) for Windscreens and 10% (90% US) for Front Sides and 30% (70% US) for Rear Windows, would the combination look Good with my Car? It's In Black Sapphire as I mentioned Before so it's pretty much a Heat Sucker... I'm worried it would look unmatched and ruin the Look of the Car...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:27 AM   #10
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Aha, But if I did opt for my original Plan which is 5% (95% US) for Windscreens and 10% (90% US) for Front Sides and 30% (70% US) for Rear Windows, would the combination look Good with my Car? It's In Black Sapphire as I mentioned Before so it's pretty much a Heat Sucker... I'm worried it would look unmatched and ruin the Look of the Car...
It also depends on what color your interior is. A black interior will help the aesthetics as you can see light interior much easier through the windows

I think anything that is uniformed looks good... Even if it's a light tint. Don't have a variance between front and rear windows if you can help it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:27 AM   #11
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It also depends on what color your interior is. A black interior will help the aesthetics as you can see light interior much easier through the windows

I think anything that is uniformed looks good... Even if it's a light tint.
I've got Terra Interior with the Black Headliner..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #12
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_alnimah View Post
Thanks for this clarification. I am currently in Greece and thought jet lag had me looking at the calculator like a DUI!

Anyway, I am very happy with my tints in terms of apperance and heat resistance: 80% windshield, 20% fronts, 15% rear + windshields, and 5% sunroof.
Appreciate 1