BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

03-07-2023, 04:14 PM   #1
boX5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 M Sport, Mineral White

Going from Michelin Tour HP Runflat to Michelin Pilot Sport AS4

I have read that some people describe the change as 'night and day' in ride quality. That's not an exaggeration. Actually, it does not feel like the same car after the change.

It's not only that the car just sticks to the ground, more comfortable, no more bouncing up and down and side way but also handling and steering response is much better. The only downside I can tell you is that the car does lean a little more during turns. Especially noticeable for highway entrance and exit.

The Pliot Sport AS4 is Ultra High Performance AS with one of the most stiff sidewall among AS tires. So I would not recommend anyone going to non RFT to get grand touring type of tire unless you want something really cushy like Mercedes GLE.

I also did go one size up from 255/50/19 to 265/50/19. Compared to ML350 I have, X5 is till much firmer and composed on quick maneuvers.

I have always had some version of Pilot Sports in the last 30 years but this is the first time putting them on a heavy car like this. It actually works out very good - not harsh and not too soft - just perfect!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 06:29 PM   #2
aschmidt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boX5 View Post
I have read that some people describe the change as 'night and day' in ride quality. That's not an exaggeration. Actually, it does not feel like the same car after the change.

It's not only that the car just sticks to the ground, more comfortable, no more bouncing up and down and side way but also handling and steering response is much better. The only downside I can tell you is that the car does lean a little more during turns. Especially noticeable for highway entrance and exit.

The Pliot Sport AS4 is Ultra High Performance AS with one of the most stiff sidewall among AS tires. So I would not recommend anyone going to non RFT to get grand touring type of tire unless you want something really cushy like Mercedes GLE.

I also did go one size up from 255/50/19 to 265/50/19. Compared to ML350 I have, X5 is till much firmer and composed on quick maneuvers.

I have always had some version of Pilot Sports in the last 30 years but this is the first time putting them on a heavy car like this. It actually works out very good - not harsh and not too soft - just perfect!!
Thanks for sharing this! I’ve RF and they wear out in quickly going to switch to regular tires next time! I’ve got same wheels ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 09:24 PM   #3
boX5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 M Sport, Mineral White

Another thing I learned or became aware of today is regarding extra wear on outer edge of front tires. It's not all the way at the very edge but 1-2 inches of band.

In any case, it wasn't really that bad at all considering I had 40k miles on it but the manager at the shop was really pushing hard to get me to pay for the alignment. First, I wasn't going to have them touch my alignment there especially after looking at their machine and the guy who was doing it. Second, I know my alignment was good.

I'm very familiar with various types of abnormal tire wear patterns, and this one was really new to me. This wasn't cause by toe or camber. After googling I can be 99% sure it has to do with RFT and type of driving I normally do. The fact that I had my front tire PSI slightly lower, because of rough ride, at around 33-34 made it even worse. I do a lot of local highway driving, big circles in and out of highways basically.

Having a super stiff sidewall and lower tire pressure, doing circle will surely wear out outer side of front tires.

The shop manager also told me my rear brake pads are due for replacement. Oh, why do they have to do this again. It really makes me mad. I told "oh really, I chcked them this morning. Let's see what you are talking about". His face faced briefly and took me to my car and point to the pads which has about 7mm left. I said "what's wrong? It looks find to me" Then he start saying, you don't want to wait until it fails blah blah but maybe you can drive six more months. Other than that, he was a nice guy. Sometimes, these young guys really underestimate older folks, thinking they don't know anything about technology and stuff.
Appreciate 0