BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-02-2024, 12:31 PM   #1
NYNICX5
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Question 2018 Staggered Tires

Looking for some advice - please excuse the long narrative.
Now before anyone does a mental eye roll - I am a single female & am looking for tire advice as the dealership wants me to replace a tire (25% tread on the rear driver side tire) 🛞 and I don’t want to be taken to the cleaners.

I currently have stock Continental ContiSportContact 5-SSR
Front 275/40R20
Rear 315/35R20

Instead of replacing just the one tire, I want to switch them out to an all season Run Flats… yes it has to be a run flat, as being it’s a staggered set I can’t tote around two tires ‘just in case’ (mind u I got a nail 2 times in the span of 3 weeks) and sorry I don’t know how to change a tire. Why do I want all season / all weather (whatever they’re called) is because I’m peeling through tread with the cold weather & have the same scenario in the summer if I buy winter tires & no I do not have a place to store them so buying two sets is off the table. Plus it drives like 💩 in the snow with the current tires.

I was told that no company makes AS RF’s in my size.. well after some digging I found a company that does but never heard of it - I "think" it would fit everything matches up the same (size obviously, tread depth 10/32, load range SL & index 106 front & 110 rear, speed ratio is W, diameter 28.7) which I THINK matches everything the Conti’s are.

But I just don't know the brand - Lexani - a sub of Nexen…

Does know anything about them or are they garbage?
It’s the Lexani RFX Plus
https://lexanitires.com/en/rfx-plus
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 12:37 PM   #2
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

www.tirerack.com Problem solved.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 12:38 PM   #3
NYNICX5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
www.tirerack.com Problem solved.
I already went down that path - that’s the obvious go to. But again, any run flat that they offer for my model is either strictly a summer or winter tire - not an all season. If you find a set on their site that fits both front and rear in an all season RF - let me know

Last edited by NYNICX5; 02-02-2024 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 12:45 PM   #4
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Lexani is sub brand of Nexen tires and these are sold through Walmart or other retailers and considered to be "budget" tires. I personally would not buy this brand, and this particular tire thread doesn't look too much of "all season to me",even it is being marketed as such. Many forum members including myself switched to the regular tires and pretty happy, run flats are expensive, loud and stiff. You don't need a second spare if you have staggered set up, regular one will work, you can just drive slow and for short distance (same as RFT), check your user manual. If you skip the run flats requirement you will have way more options for all season tires in this size.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 12:48 PM   #5
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNICX5 View Post
I already went down that path - that’s the obvious go to. But again, any run flat that they offer for my model is either strictly a summer or winter tire - not an all season. If you find a set on their site that fits both front and rear in an all season RF - let me know
You are not limited to only using RF . Lots of threads on that very topic.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 06:31 AM   #6
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

I’d recommend switching to non-run flats so you can get the tires you want. Then carry a mobile tire repair kit with you. You may not be able to plug the tire yourself, but at the very worst a tow truck driver would be able to. Unless you have a complete blowout from hitting something, which would likely also blowout a runflat.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 07:11 AM   #7
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
I would just go ahead and switch to non-RFT. I just slapped on a full set of Bridgestone Alenza A/S Ultras and really like these tires compared to the Continental DWS06+’s. They are all season and I really like the performance of them.

Another reason why you may want to go with a Non-RFT is that if you look at your Auto Insurance policy, you most likely are paying for Roadside Assistance/Towing & Labor on your policy… use it 🤷🏽‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 11:02 AM   #8
Tomcat_F15_STL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Same setup on my wife’s 2018.

We have the good looking 20” Pirelli P-zero RFT’s on during the warmer months. Then, I insist on putting the ugly 19” Michelin All-Seasons on during the wintry time. My wife raises the roof and whines all winter long until her good looking wheels go back on after three months. Life returns to normal when the winter wheels come off.

My point is I go through all this grief because there is no terrific solution with winter & staggered performance wheels/tires.

It is good advice to buy a set of namebrand AS non-RFT tires and use the roll on tow truck service if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 08:14 AM   #9
NYNICX5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat_F15_STL View Post
Same setup on my wife’s 2018.

We have the good looking 20” Pirelli P-zero RFT’s on during the warmer months. Then, I insist on putting the ugly 19” Michelin All-Seasons on during the wintry time. My wife raises the roof and whines all winter long until her good looking wheels go back on after three months. Life returns to normal when the winter wheels come off.

My point is I go through all this grief because there is no terrific solution with winter & staggered performance wheels/tires.

It is good advice to buy a set of namebrand AS non-RFT tires and use the roll on tow truck service if necessary.

lol she sounds like me!
But alas I don’t have storage for an additional set of tires.

What do you mean by roll on truck service?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 08:16 AM   #10
NYNICX5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfunk88 View Post
I’d recommend switching to non-run flats so you can get the tires you want. Then carry a mobile tire repair kit with you. You may not be able to plug the tire yourself, but at the very worst a tow truck driver would be able to. Unless you have a complete blowout from hitting something, which would likely also blowout a runflat.
I don’t mean to sound stupid, but what is a mobile repair kit - do you mean like a tire patch kit? When I read mobile my brain automatically went to cell phone 🤦*♀️
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 08:23 AM   #11
NYNICX5
Rep

I am seriously thinking of going with non run flats at this point. To drop a grand on tires that no one knows the name of, really makes me hesitate to pull the trigger. I also reviewed my policy & apparently am already paying for emergency roadside assistance. I know my insurance coverage is solid - million dollar plan - literally, yet I never thought to look at roadside assistance, I’ll attribute that to having a blonde moment.

Now off to check about glass coverage since I got my second lovely chip in my windshield. I’m assuming having a heads up display makes the glass more $ & I think after 3 chips it’s replacement time ��
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:48 PM   #12
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Do you have a spare? If not, and you don't have 3rd row seats, how about adding a spare?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:50 PM   #13
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Roll on truck service is a flat bed tow truck. One that puts your car up on it to transport.

A mobile repair kit is a plug kit. Has pieces that kind of look like licorice and then a couple tools with handles. One you use to make any puncture more uniform, the other actually inserts the “licorice” to seal the hole. Then an air pump that runs off a 12v socket from your car. You may not be able to physically use the tools (but maybe you will…they do take some strength) but a tow truck driver or someone should be able to help out.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:52 PM   #14
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
Do you have a spare? If not, and you don't have 3rd row seats, how about adding a spare?
A space saver spare along with non/run flats is also a good idea 👍
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 04:29 PM   #15
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

BMW makes what they call the Mobility kit... It is a lifesaver and worth every penny. Ditch the runflat tires (as many have told you) and get this. I have one in my X3 and also the X5. You can use it just to add air, or switch to repair and it will inject the included tire repair slime and THEN air up a tire. This is perfect if you don't have the means to plug a hole yourself. Very easy, comes in a nice case, and fits under the trunk floor.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...et-71100413439
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:58 AM   #16
NYNICX5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
No I do not because it is a staggered set. I would need to have two tires as spares, which is not ideal.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:00 AM   #17
NYNICX5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
BMW makes what they call the Mobility kit... It is a lifesaver and worth every penny. Ditch the runflat tires (as many have told you) and get this. I have one in my X3 and also the X5. You can use it just to add air, or switch to repair and it will inject the included tire repair slime and THEN air up a tire. This is perfect if you don't have the means to plug a hole yourself. Very easy, comes in a nice case, and fits under the trunk floor.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...et-71100413439
The link doesn’t work
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:04 AM   #18
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The link doesn’t work

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-71-10-2-333-674-Tire-Mobility-Set/dp/B00IIK6N5U
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:15 AM   #19
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep
Drives: from Spartanburg

Quote:
I don’t have storage for an additional set of tires.
You don’t need storage. Your dealership or mechanic will store the wheels for you. Twice per year you stop by and they swap the wheels/tires. This is common in areas that get cold enough to need winter tires. Good opportunity to perform inspection, change cabin filter, etc.

Season-specific tires perform much better than all-seasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 01:03 PM   #20
e90Jeet
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 50i m-sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85 Sport View Post
You don’t need storage. Your dealership or mechanic will store the wheels for you. Twice per year you stop by and they swap the wheels/tires. This is common in areas that get cold enough to need winter tires. Good opportunity to perform inspection, change cabin filter, etc.

Season-specific tires perform much better than all-seasons.
Dealers store these for free or fee?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 03:20 PM   #21
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
No I do not because it is a staggered set. I would need to have two tires as spares, which is not ideal.
You don’t need 2 different spares. BMW only sells one size, it will work on front & rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 05:31 PM   #22
meds1976
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 M50i

Garage List
Pirelli Scorpion All Season SF2. Are those not available in your sizes?
Appreciate 0