03-10-2024, 09:43 AM   #1
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
DEF Tank removal (Primary, F15 35d)

If anyone is interested on removing their primary DEF tank, here’s the instructions. I decided to take mine off so I can open the front bumper air flow since I have upgraded M5 BBK on my X5.

Right to the point…

You’ll need 8mm, 10mm, 13mm sockets, and some star bit sockets. You must remove the bumper to access the right side front bumper support (bolts there you have to remove), and the fender liners behind the bumper too.

Once that is done….

YELLOW TRIANGLE: Remove hose and stick in a suction hose to pull out all def.

*for the passive tank: just remove the under covering that covers your diesel filter and the one behind it. That’ll give you access to the hose so you can drain the tank. Then put it all back. I did not delete that tank.. you can if you want, I saw no need other than remove the def liquid weight.

PURPLE CIRCLES:
3 pull tabs you have to remove and that’ll give you access to disconnect the pump harness. Disconnect the cable that runs down the back of the tank (you can’t miss it)

BLUE CIRCLES:
2 bolts you need to remove that are inside the removed fender liner, attached to the vehicle frame.

RED FILLED CIRCLES:
3 bolts that are above and behind the bumper foam support. Just pull that foam back and you’ll see the 2 bolts.

RED HOLLOW CIRCLES:
Disconnect the quick release line and the harnesses.

Now the tank can be tossed aside. While you’re behind the right side bumper, you can also remove your SCR Module so it’s not just there hanging out, disconnected.

Seal all your connections and harnesses how ever you want (I used electrical tape & seal maker). Use some thick zip ties and tie all those connections to the side of the frame (I took my time making it all nice because of the next step).

I removed my bottom two bumper covers and replaced them with the bottom opened ones…

Front Bumper Inserts (Left & Right… #4 on the diagram picture):

Front Right Fender Lining (this is for X5 50i, so it has the vent like the right side):

Now, I have better air flow to both BBKs with no issues 🤙🏽

Just decided to share in case anyone wants to do it. Took me like 3 hours of work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1