BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
sgtpeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5d M-Sport DHP

Bought My Wife an XC90 Inscription - How it Compares to my X5

Hi All,

My wife needed a replacement to her '08 X3 and decided to get her something bigger as our family is growing. We decided on an XC90 T6 Inscription with all the toys plus the 4 corner air suspension.

First, I love my '16 X5D M-Sport, but I have to say, the Volvo is quite the package for the money. The seats are great, with the air suspension it is quite comfortable for the family, and the technology is pretty incredible - albeit way more confusing to use than iDrive.

That said, even in dynamic mode, my X5 crushes the Volvo on sporty driving. With M-sport suspension and DHP my X5 really carves through the turns and has a more connected feeling. The Volvo seats are good, but I really prefer the BMW seats even if they aren't quite as plush - there's just so many more controls to the BMW seats.

Overall, I really love both cars and I think the XC90 is perfect for my wife (even if she still thinks it's a boat). I can't think of much better out there currently to haul me and my wife, our infant daughter, our 3 dogs, stroller, and other gear.

Happy driving!
'03 Porsche 996 Turbo X50
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
Hi All,

My wife needed a replacement to her '08 X3 and decided to get her something bigger as our family is growing. We decided on an XC90 T6 Inscription with all the toys plus the 4 corner air suspension.

First, I love my '16 X5D M-Sport, but I have to say, the Volvo is quite the package for the money. The seats are great, with the air suspension it is quite comfortable for the family, and the technology is pretty incredible - albeit way more confusing to use than iDrive.

That said, even in dynamic mode, my X5 crushes the Volvo on sporty driving. With M-sport suspension and DHP my X5 really carves through the turns and has a more connected feeling. The Volvo seats are good, but I really prefer the BMW seats even if they aren't quite as plush - there's just so many more controls to the BMW seats.

Overall, I really love both cars and I think the XC90 is perfect for my wife (even if she still thinks it's a boat). I can't think of much better out there currently to haul me and my wife, our infant daughter, our 3 dogs, stroller, and other gear.

Happy driving!
I used to have an S80 T6 and those were the absolute BEST seats in any cars I've ever owned. There is a red top of the line XC90 R Line close to my house and it looks so sharp.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #3
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

I haven't driven one, but I think they are beautiful.

A customer has one and he's had to have Volvo replace the drivers seat twice. Apparently they are very soft and susceptible to damage.

Otherwise, he absolutely loves it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
Enrico 35d
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 35d

Both the xc90 and v90 are beautiful . I have seen a few already on the road. I have a preference for the v90 though
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
sgtpeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5d M-Sport DHP

I agree, the V90 is way more striking to look at. The weird thing is that it is also almost the exact same length as the XC90. If they would have done a flip up 3rd row on the v90 like the old 240s had, I would have gone for the wagon for sure.
'03 Porsche 996 Turbo X50
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
I agree, the V90 is way more striking to look at. The weird thing is that it is also almost the exact same length as the XC90. If they would have done a flip up 3rd row on the v90 like the old 240s had, I would have gone for the wagon for sure.
Interesting, I far prefer the XC.
Appreciate 0