04-24-2017, 10:38 PM   #46
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
35-40kmsrp. with the markup you may be at 45-50k
With car pricing insanity these days, I'm not even surprised.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:20 AM   #47
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Am I slightly annoyed that it beat the M3/4 on the ring? I gotta admit, yup I am. But we all know that ring times don't necessarily translate to real world performance. I don't plan to race any Type R's in my lifetime anyhow. It will be interesting to see who actually ponies up $40k+ for a civic though. Rich kids and track rats probably, not that there is anything wrong with this being a strong alternative to the MX-5 track car for the masses. Kudos to Honda for stepping up, let's hope they don't disappoint us when they actually go on sale. They already botched the NSX by pricing it out of the market, I hope they don't make the same mistake here.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:21 AM   #48
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Impressive, but not especially interesting to me, because they are fighting physics to do it and most likely with tires that'll last a lap or two (especially given the braking tricks that are usually used here). I'm sure there are good things about the car, but I'd rather start with something that isn't fighting itself nearly as much, even if it is slower. I feel the same way about 911s, nice, but not impressive anymore because it appears the only way to make them as fast around turns as better laid-out chassis is to simply make them wider and wider with tricks like 4 wheel steering, to offset the engine being behind the rear axle. At some point, the design gives way to physics, but up until that point, you're spending a lot of money, time and R&D to make something inherently inferior "fast". If people want it, great I guess, but I'd rather they put that time and effort into a BRZ type car.

In other words, they've maxed this out, it's a snarling monster trying to tear itself apart to accomplish this feat. Start with a more optimized chassis and you'll be better off, modify said chassis to the same extent and you'll probably smash this "record" too.
      04-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #49
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Impressive, but not especially interesting to me, because they are fighting physics to do it and most likely with tires that'll last a lap or two (especially given the braking tricks that are usually used here). I'm sure there are good things about the car, but I'd rather start with something that isn't fighting itself nearly as much, even if it is slower. I feel the same way about 911s, nice, but not impressive anymore because it appears the only way to make them as fast around turns as better laid-out chassis is to simply make them wider and wider with tricks like 4 wheel steering, to offset the engine being behind the rear axle. At some point, the design gives way to physics, but up until that point, you're spending a lot of money, time and R&D to make something inherently inferior "fast". If people want it, great I guess, but I'd rather they put that time and effort into a BRZ type car.

In other words, they've maxed this out, it's a snarling monster trying to tear itself apart to accomplish this feat. Start with a more optimized chassis and you'll be better off, modify said chassis to the same extent and you'll probably smash this "record" too.
If only you were right about the 911. Sure, the engine being behind the axle creates some minor polar moment issues, but the weight balance it creates is actually ideal, don't believe the 50/50 BS. Having more weight on the rear axle allows for the rear brakes to contribute to braking much more and results in faster lap times. What car doesn't benefit from being wider or having aws?

F1 cars run absurd rear weight balances, especially on tracks where braking giving more advantage than handling. I've argued for years that the Cayman is a better chassis for Porsche to develop than the 911, but even 3.8L conversion Caymans can't outbrake a 911 or make up lap times against the seemingly backwards design. And a FM design certainly isn't the answer. Sure they're fun, but if a TdF Ferrari can't outrun a 911, what's Porsche going to do to make that setup magically faster?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 07:41 AM   #50
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
not a fan of the design new gen type r.
but this one yes!

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #51
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

For the ones that don't like it or find it too expensive, if you would be in the market for a car that has to do both day to day duty and be a track warrior on week end what else would you choose? It has to cost more or less the same be able to be driven easily in the snow, and offer seating for 5 passengers and their luggages. I'm waiting for the answer because I will be in this market during the next year.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:08 AM   #52
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
If only you were right about the 911.
Ahh...so tell me why Porsche uses a mid-engine configuration for their hypercars? Even the 911 RSR http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...rank-walliser/
      04-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #53
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Look this is obviously competing with the WRX boy-racer type of car.. and WRX is a great car but .. anyone here lookin' for that?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #54
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
For the ones that don't like it or find it too expensive, if you would be in the market for a car that has to do both day to day duty and be a track warrior on week end what else would you choose? It has to cost more or less the same be able to be driven easily in the snow, and offer seating for 5 passengers and their luggages. I'm waiting for the answer because I will be in this market during the next year.
You think a civic will fit 5 people and luggage? 2 adults and 3 children maybe.

I'd say an STI, Focus RS, Camaro V6 1LE, and many other cars would be just as if not more practical and for the most part better chassis to start from. Plenty of cars can be driven in the snow with winter tires just fine (just got my summers back on last weekend).
      04-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #55
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'd say an STI, Focus RS, Camaro V6 1LE, and many other cars would be just as if not more practical and for the most part better chassis to start from. Plenty of cars can be driven in the snow with winter tires just fine (just got my summers back on last weekend).
None of theses cars are as capable on a race track as the type R is. The Camaro is a terribly bad winter car and never as practical as a civic. Look at the review the civic got a huge back seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #56
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
If only you were right about the 911.
Ahh...so tell me why Porsche uses a mid-engine configuration for their hypercars? Even the 911 RSR http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...rank-walliser/
They can improve on it, but how many times has a 911 won its class at LeMans over any other configuration?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #57
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Modded Subaru WRX or STI for these criteria

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #58
capo180
Private
Rep
Drives: M235

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

None of theses cars are as capable on a race track as the type R is. The Camaro is a terribly bad winter car and never as practical as a civic. Look at the review the civic got a huge back seat.
I'd rather STI because it's a nicer looking car to me. Idk if I would be able to completely exploit the extra track performance from the civic anyways.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #59
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
but then it wouldn't be a civic.
      04-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #60
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Modded Subaru WRX or STI for these criteria
Modded is the key words if your going to void the warranty you can't compare.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #61
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Modded is the key words if your going to void the warranty you can't compare.
Who's comparing? You asked a question, I answered. If you don't agree, that's fine, but I'm not going to change my answer because you have another criteria that you didn't state earlier. In hindsight, it sounds like that question was loaded and more rhetorical than a legitimate request for information. If you want the Type R, get it, you don't need anyone else's approval, there are no arguments to be won here to validate your choice. I will never get a Type R, it's not my type of car. Maybe it's your type of car? That's your prerogative. Please post pictures when you do, because I think it's an interesting car! Just not for me.

You want a track warrior and are worried about your warranty? Sounds like you want more like a street car you can track rather than a track warrior you can street. That's a whole different ballgame. A truly track ready Type R will still need modifications.

You think that Type R will be good in the snow? I don't think so.

Last edited by jmg; 04-25-2017 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #62
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
not a fan of the design new gen type r.
but this one yes!

This is FTW!

The new CTR is not the kind of car I would buy at this point of my life, but give Honda some credits to crank out some real sporty cars.

New S2K is another story though. It will be a very interesting car.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #63
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread
Quote:

If only you were right about the 911. Sure, the engine being behind the axle creates some minor polar moment issues, but the weight balance it creates is actually ideal, don't believe the 50/50 BS. Having more weight on the rear axle allows for the rear brakes to contribute to braking much more and results in faster lap times. What car doesn't benefit from being wider or having aws?

F1 cars run absurd rear weight balances, especially on tracks where braking giving more advantage than handling. I've argued for years that the Cayman is a better chassis for Porsche to develop than the 911, but even 3.8L conversion Caymans can't outbrake a 911 or make up lap times against the seemingly backwards design. And a FM design certainly isn't the answer. Sure they're fun, but if a TdF Ferrari can't outrun a 911, what's Porsche going to do to make that setup magically faster?
lol
      04-26-2017, 09:52 PM   #64
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

The new Civic Type R is super ricey and flashy.

At the end of the day, it's still a freaking civic. Add on top that it will be a $35k+ civic and pandora's box opens.

At this point in my life, the Civic Type R is pretty much against everything I want.

I want a weekend car that sits in the garage. It's not really a weekend car.

I want a daily driver in the driveway. It's not purely a daily driver that I can share driving duties with my wife.

It pretty much checks no boxes except...
O - appeals to me

I have a strong want for some reason. ????
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #65
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
The new Civic Type R is super ricey and flashy.
functional.
      04-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #66
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Am I slightly annoyed that it beat the M3/4 on the ring?
Cars like this have been beating or equalling m3's and porsches on the ring for quite some time now (5 years or so)
Everyone that has been there (or in the villages around it) may think he's currently in france because the amount of renault meganes/renault garages is immense.
Also the leon cupra is popular. All cars not sold in the us, but very very popular and very fast on track.
These cars (these versions at least) are designed as track performance cars from factory because there is this insane war between some manufactureres to see who's the fastest on the nordschleife, and that makes these cars very fast. Its like a bmw form the era when /M stood for 'Motorsport' and not /Marketing (think e36 m3 eurospec)
These cars have well tuned suspension, quality brakes, low in weight, very fast, and less than half the price of an M4 and just as fast or faster on a track.
And that with over 100 hp less. That means they're extremely good in corners and on braking.
BMW could take an example to that.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0