BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
thaddh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

New x5 35i M sport Owner

New owner here and this will be my first BMW period. I went with Mineral white with black interior. I have been an Audi Porsche guy for 10+ years. My most recent cars have been a 911 and a 14 Cayenne GTS. Now I will have a the X5 and a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I am trading in the GTS for the X5. Trying to save some money but still want something that looks good, drives good and can be modified.

I pick up the X5 this weekend but I have already ordered the following:

20" 399 wheels with Conti DWS 06 tires. (My Cayenne GTS had 26k miles and was ready for its 3rd set of tires, so I am going all season on the X5)

MPPK with full side skirt black decals

Gloss black X5 and BMW emblem's from IND

Will probably order the painted reflectors but it looks like they are a pain the a$$ to install

Currently looking at MPE exhaust with gloss black tips

I have spent the last month reading posts and doing research in the forum and it has been very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

welcome to your new BMW life.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

thaddh , congrats on the car.
Painted reflector is just time consuming. Better to do it now when the double sided tape still fresh from the factory, otherwise it will be harder to do since you have to clean up the old double sided tape with limited access.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
thaddh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport
thaddh , congrats on the car.
Painted reflector is just time consuming. Better to do it now when the double sided tape still fresh from the factory, otherwise it will be harder to do since you have to clean up the old double sided tape with limited access.
Ok. So the process is to order the factory painted ones. Has any elected black for a white car instead of doing matching white. Do you sell these as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddh View Post
Ok. So the process is to order the factory painted ones. Has any elected black for a white car instead of doing matching white. Do you sell these as well.
I only sell paint matched color.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #6
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

I know they aren't in the same league but just curious what your impressions of the X5 vs GTS are?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #7
thaddh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i
I know they aren't in the same league but just curious what your impressions of the X5 vs GTS are?
I will do full post once I have the car for a few weeks but here is my first impression after the test drive.

The GTS is an awesome vehicle, as it should be for a 110k vehicle. The sound of the v8 with the sport exhaust is ridiculous. The sport plus package makes it even more beast like and I would get a lot of compliments on the sound just pulling into a gas station. The suspension with the PDCC is amazing as well. You can also raise or lower the car based on driving conditions. When you go in sport mode it would automatically lower the vehicle. I could take a highway off/on ramp at 65 miles an hour and the SUV didn't slide. It's one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

One big difference that I am not sure about yet is the X5 seats. The Porsche seats are super comfortable and the X5 are not great. I am hoping I can get used to them. Since I purchased a 16 I didn't special order and could not get the contoured seats.

With the upgrades I am doing I think I will be very happy with the X5 for 45k less but at the end of the day there isn't much of a comparison. A better comparison would be the V8 x5.
Appreciate 0