BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Microsoft/Cisco certs

Going through a free course program (funded by Chase bank and through Syracuse University) that will get me through the CompTIA A+, Net+ and Server, CCENT and CCNA. My end goal is CCNA and do Networking after college (Telecom/Network degree). For those in the industry, is it worth it paying the $900 in exam fees to get the CompTIA certs? I have to progress through the material before the CCENT/CCNA courses so I don't have a choice. I only get reimbursed for 1 test so that's irrelevant.

My oldest brother is a CCNA, and he mentioned CompTIA is utterly useless, but just want to get more opinions.
      02-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I would go straight to the CCNA if a job in the networking world is your end goal. The environments where I have worked, I've never seen an employer asking CompTIA, Net+, etc. The better jobs will start by asking for a minimum of a CCNA or equivalent experience.

I don't understand why you have to go through the other more basic courses to start going through the CCNA material.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy
I would go straight to the CCNA if a job in the networking world is your end goal. The environments where I have worked, I've never seen an employer asking CompTIA, Net+, etc. The better jobs will start by asking for a minimum of a CCNA or equivalent experience.

I don't understand why you have to go through the other more basic courses to start going through the CCNA material.
Thanks for the reply. My brother is also baffled that I have to do CompTIA first, but since it's all free courses, I guess I can't ask for everything lol. Most likely some HR guy who doesn't know the industry set the course map based off generic searches.
      02-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
What actual hands-on job experience can you show, both on resume and in an interview, that will make you productive from day one on the job? Don't really expect you to answer, but that's what I think you need to consider from a potential employer point of view.

If you've got some time & hands-on, then skip the low level certs unless you just want to fluff up the KSA & Certifications portion of your resume. If not, then it won't hurt to have em.
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg

Last edited by 1and1; 02-04-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #5
ElSenor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' AW/SO M3

CCNP R&S here. Did networking while I was in the military and have been in industry for 4 years. Would say a total of 7 years of actual networking experience.

If you want to work in the GOV sector, Sec+ is worth it. I know you didn't mention it as an available option, just stating that it would be FAR more beneficial than either of the CompTIA certs you did list if you want to work in GOV sector. A+ and Net+ are pretty lame certificate that don't command much in salary. If you don't want to be in the GOV sector, don't bother. GOV sector includes being a GOV employee or a contractor working for the GOV. Sure, I picked up some useful knowledge from Sec+, but I don't need it for what I do.

Not currently chasing any certs as I'm trying to finish up my Bachelor's in Networking and Security.

I see why they have you doing A+, Net+, and Server. I had to take these classes as part of my degree plan as well (except CompTIA server, instead I took Win Server). They were painfully easy, but are designed to bring someone who doesn't know anything about IT up to the point where CCNA isn't such a shock.

Experience is super important in this job. Unfortunately it's tough for new comers because they usually don't have the experience (field) so they get passed up.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #6
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSenor
CCNP R&S here. Did networking while I was in the military and have been in industry for 4 years. Would say a total of 7 years of actual networking experience.

If you want to work in the GOV sector, Sec+ is worth it. I know you didn't mention it as an available option, just stating that it would be FAR more beneficial than either of the CompTIA certs you did list if you want to work in GOV sector. A+ and Net+ are pretty lame certificate that don't command much in salary. If you don't want to be in the GOV sector, don't bother. GOV sector includes being a GOV employee or a contractor working for the GOV. Sure, I picked up some useful knowledge from Sec+, but I don't need it for what I do.

Not currently chasing any certs as I'm trying to finish up my Bachelor's in Networking and Security.

I see why they have you doing A+, Net+, and Server. I had to take these classes as part of my degree plan as well (except CompTIA server, instead I took Win Server). They were painfully easy, but are designed to bring someone who doesn't know anything about IT up to the point where CCNA isn't such a shock.

Experience is super important in this job. Unfortunately it's tough for new comers because they usually don't have the experience (field) so they get passed up.
Is CompTIA security needed if I already hold a clearance?

I switched over to data systems tech in the reserves so I'm not entirely new to networking or computer repair. The CompTIA courses have been super easy, but still not a bad refresher as some things the military doesn't cover are in there.
      02-04-2017, 11:43 PM   #7
dut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post

I switched over to data systems tech in the reserves so I'm not entirely new to networking or computer repair. The CompTIA courses have been super easy, but still not a bad refresher as some things the military doesn't cover are in there.
Yes, you will need S+ working on/in a DOD IT/Computer environment no matter what clearance(s) you possess.

Also, if you go for CCNA do the two-part CCENT path (two tests to get full CCNA). Instructors say it's 50% easier than straight taking the CCNA.
Appreciate 1
1and11851.50
      02-05-2017, 04:39 AM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dut View Post
Yes, you will need S+ working on/in a DOD IT/Computer environment no matter what clearance(s) you possess.

Also, if you go for CCNA do the two-part CCENT path (two tests to get full CCNA). Instructors say it's 50% easier than straight taking the CCNA.
I don't see why CompTIA security would be required to work in any classified environment (to include DoD) even if you're on the IT staff. I've never run across this requirement in the long career I've had working at various Federal agencies. One of the security certifications I've seen that has value depending on your job role is a CISSP. If you want a security certification, the CISSP would be the one to get.

I worked on, designed, implemented, and O&M'd some highly secure systems/networks in my time as a Federal contractor cleared passed a TS/SCI. I don't possess a CompTIA security cert. If there are security policy questions or concerns, you're trained to go to someone on the IT security staff. In my case, this individual is called an ISSM. But when you're designing or making changes to an existing system, you're supposed to board these things anyway for review.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #9
ElSenor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I don't see why CompTIA security would be required to work in any classified environment (to include DoD) even if you're on the IT staff. I've never run across this requirement in the long career I've had working at various Federal agencies. One of the security certifications I've seen that has value depending on your job role is a CISSP. If you want a security certification, the CISSP would be the one to get.

I worked on, designed, implemented, and O&M'd some highly secure systems/networks in my time as a Federal contractor cleared passed a TS/SCI. I don't possess a CompTIA security cert. If there are security policy questions or concerns, you're trained to go to someone on the IT security staff. In my case, this individual is called an ISSM. But when you're designing or making changes to an existing system, you're supposed to board these things anyway for review.
Not sure how long it has been since you were a Federal contractor, but this has been pretty standard since 2010. If you want to touch the network (routers/switches/servers) you need at least a Sec+. This is part of the DoD 8570 initiative.

Links for reference:
https://www.isc2.org/dod-8570-cap-certification.aspx
http://www.giac.org/certifications/dodd-8570

If you have a CISSP, you can pretty much work on anything.

So, yes, you are correct a CISSP would be nice, but you are definitely missing the point of the discussion. If I was using your logic, I would tell the guy to not bother with a CCNA and go straight for a CCIE. There is no pre-req to get a CCIE.

Also, the chances of him actually getting a CISSP are zero. You can pass the test, but you need someone to sponsor you and you need to show employment relevant to the certification - which OP doesn't have. Without these, you aren't getting certified.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSenor View Post
Not sure how long it has been since you were a Federal contractor, but this has been pretty standard since 2010. If you want to touch the network (routers/switches/servers) you need at least a Sec+. This is part of the DoD 8570 initiative.

Links for reference:
https://www.isc2.org/dod-8570-cap-certification.aspx
http://www.giac.org/certifications/dodd-8570

If you have a CISSP, you can pretty much work on anything.

So, yes, you are correct a CISSP would be nice, but you are definitely missing the point of the discussion. If I was using your logic, I would tell the guy to not bother with a CCNA and go straight for a CCIE. There is no pre-req to get a CCIE.

Also, the chances of him actually getting a CISSP are zero. You can pass the test, but you need someone to sponsor you and you need to show employment relevant to the certification - which OP doesn't have. Without these, you aren't getting certified.
I left Fed contracting work in 2011. So things may have changed. I have a friend who is a manager over in one of the DoD organizations. I'll ask him for verification. I can tell you for sure, outside of the DoD, this requirement is non existent.

In regards to the CISSP comment, you're putting words in my mouth. As it appears the DoD is the only Federal agency which requires a minimum of a CompTIA security or equivalent commercial certification for IT staff with privileged access. I haven't seen other agencies spelling out this type of certification as a requirement for hire in various job openings. I have seen CISSP thrown around as a desired certification. Point being, you're more marketable if you want to go down the security track with a CISSP.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #11
dut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
I left Fed contracting work in 2011. So things may have changed. I have a friend who is a manager over in one of the DoD organizations. I'll ask him for verification. I can tell you for sure, outside of the DoD, this requirement is non existent.
Correct as stated above, since 2010, but it seems to be up to the customer on how strict they want to 'enforce' the requirement.

I agree, S+ seems to be non existent outside of the DOD world. With that said, I honestly wish I knew the "outside" world though. I've been in the DOD environment for nearly 13 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
ElSenor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

In regards to the CISSP comment, you're putting words in my mouth. As it appears the DoD is the only Federal agency which requires a minimum of a CompTIA security or equivalent commercial certification for IT staff with privileged access. I haven't seen other agencies spelling out this type of certification as a requirement for hire in various job openings. I have seen CISSP thrown around as a desired certification. Point being, you're more marketable if you want to go down the security track with a CISSP.

Putting words in your mouth?

I was just using your logic in a Sec+ vs. CISSP. You did say: "If you want a security certification, the CISSP would be the one to get."

I should've been clearer about GOV and specified it's a DoD requirement.

No one is disagreeing with you about Sec+ NOT being a requirement in the public sector.

OP mentioned he wanted to be a Network guy. I simply said the other CompTIA certificates weren't worth it, but if he wanted to work in the GOV sector, he should get Sec+.

Wrecker335d, bottom line: If you want to work in the DoD/GOV sector on the network, you need at least Sec+. CISSP is great, but unless you get someone else to vouch for you and you have job experience, it won't happen. If you don't want to be in the DoD/GOV sector, then by all means ignore what dut and I have said.

Here is an example of a GOV Network job that doesn't require a clearance or Sec+:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewD.../#btn-add-info

Last edited by ElSenor; 02-05-2017 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #13
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll probably just test out for Sec+ and not bother with the A, Net and Server (maybe). Government work may be an option, but I wouldn't actively seek one. It would be easier for me getting a gov job though.
      02-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Putting words in your mouth?

I was just using your logic in a Sec+ vs. CISSP. You did say: "If you want a security certification, the CISSP would be the one to get."

I should've been clearer about GOV and specified it's a DoD requirement.

No one is disagreeing with you about Sec+ NOT being a requirement in the public sector.

OP mentioned he wanted to be a Network guy. I simply said the other CompTIA certificates weren't worth it, but if he wanted to work in the GOV sector, he should get Sec+.

Wrecker335d, bottom line: If you want to work in the DoD/GOV sector on the network, you need at least Sec+. CISSP is great, but unless you get someone else to vouch for you and you have job experience, it won't happen. If you don't want to be in the DoD/GOV sector, then by all means ignore what dut and I have said.

Here is an example of a GOV Network job that doesn't require a clearance or Sec+:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewD.../#btn-add-info
I said the words you quoted because in the spaces I've worked outside of DoD, I've never seen anyone ask for a Sec+ cert. I have seen CISSP. So the logic is why waste time to be as marketable with a wider range of Federal positions if a Sec+ isn't even asked for outside of DoD? You analogy about going straight to a CCIE is invalid as you can find jobs at all Federal agencies which will ask for a CCNA, CCNP and a CCIE.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 04:35 AM   #15
ElSenor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I said the words you quoted because in the spaces I've worked outside of DoD, I've never seen anyone ask for a Sec+ cert. I have seen CISSP. So the logic is why waste time to be as marketable with a wider range of Federal positions if a Sec+ isn't even asked for outside of DoD? You analogy about going straight to a CCIE is invalid as you can find jobs at all Federal agencies which will ask for a CCNA, CCNP and a CCIE.

You still don't get it. You can't just walk up and test for CISSP, pass and get your certificate. You aren't taking account OP's situation - he's never worked in industry. But, you are correct about CISSP > Sec+.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 06:29 AM   #16
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You still don't get it. You can't just walk up and test for CISSP, pass and get your certificate. You aren't taking account OP's situation - he's never worked in industry. But, you are correct about CISSP > Sec+.
No I do get it. There is work you have to do to work up to getting a CISSP. Instead of applying that time and effort into getting a Sec+ which is pretty much useless in the rest of the Federal agencies, his time is better spent working his way up to testing for the CISSP. You keep thinking I'm suggesting that he can just get an Exam Cram read up on it and pass the test for the CISSP cert. I've never said anything like that or even implied it.

But putting this back on track as what the OP originally asked for, is the main goal is to work his way through the Cisco cert track if he wants to at least give himself a chance to break into the world of networking. With no Cisco cert and no experience, it's going to be a real challenge finding work.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #17
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I'm not saying that Certs can't be valuable, but experience matters more. If one is dead set on a Cert, then choose one carefully, and concentrate the rest of your effort on getting experience.

In 18 years of IT in multiple industries here's what I've seen. Every cert possessing network admin.\engineer\etc. has been an incompetent moron. This is not an exaggeration. The best of the best I've worked with have had no certifications and are just hands-on experience guys (one didn't even have a college degree).

I've reached the point in my career that if a Cert is mandatory, I won't even pursue it. I have no trouble getting good jobs...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #18
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

woowhoo another chase picks up the tab.
      02-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #19
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Trust me. Go down the cyber security route. I've been in security for the past 15 years (25 in all in tech) and have had a great career. Right now, it's the hottest field to be in. Enterprises, agencies, contracting companies are always in need of security professionals. Hackers aren't going away and Trump will be putting a lot of security dollars into DoD. Get your basic CCNA/CCDA and then start working on security certs.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #20
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood
Trust me. Go down the cyber security route. I've been in security for the past 15 years (25 in all in tech) and have had a great career. Right now, it's the hottest field to be in. Enterprises, agencies, contracting companies are always in need of security professionals. Hackers aren't going away and Trump will be putting a lot of security dollars into DoD. Get your basic CCNA/CCDA and then start working on security certs.
It could be a possibility. The program offers CISSP as well, just have to take Sec+ first. As others have stated, I would still need experience in order to officially get the cert. This is all up in the air at this point really.
      02-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #21
ElSenor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post

This man speaks the truth, security is definitely where it's at right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #22
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I'm a Solution Architect been in the game for almost 20 years. I agree every discussion these days should start with security. Other hot areas are Hybrid Cloud, Converged Technologies, DevOps, and IoT.

I dont have any active certs anymore but you don't really need them with experience. I am going to get certified in Azure this year through work for free. So cannot beat that.
Appreciate 1