BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
lennyf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Can anyone recommend wifi mesh router ?

I'm sick and tired of rebooting my wifi extender and have been researching a few "wifi mesh routers".
Google wifi
Eero
and Amplifi

Anyone delve into this tech yet ????
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
sc30317
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

One of my friends works on the eero. I have one of the beta test units and it is absolutely stunning. Throughout is great and I don't have any dead zones in my house. Highly recommend it!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
Aajav-Khan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Sakhir Orange CCB

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [10.00]
http://bgr.com/2017/02/14/best-mesh-...etwork-router/

See attached for the rankings according to bgr
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

My boss tested Orbi and Eero. He had much better results with Orbi and has kept it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
lennyf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Thanks guys.
I pulled the trigger on the Amplifi HD.
I'll let you know what kind of performance I get.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
fhaze3
GLG-20
Rep
Drives: 18 Ram 2500 Ltd,e30 M52 Track

my neighbor swears by eero 5k sqft home, no deadspots
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I despise repeaters and most mesh implementations.

The only good mesh implementation is one which uses the 5 GHz frequency as the mesh backbone and then 2.4 GHz to serve client connections. The reason this is recommended is because of how wireless operates. I can go into a whole discussion on why this is. But the proverbial TLDR response is, with mesh wireless, each hop (access point) you have to traverse to get to the wired LAN will divide your speed in half. If everything is using the same frequency which most likely will be 5 GHz as everyone is pushing 802.11ac, your latency is going to spike up too as you add more devices. Again, the TLDR, is wireless operates as a half duplex technology and only one device can talk over the frequency/channel at any given time.

I would sooner use powerline adapters or a MoCA implementation to place an AP in any dead spots for coverage over any consumer grade mesh technology any day. But being a tech nerd I would go one step further and bust up some drywall to pull the proper cabling.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #8
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I despise repeaters and most mesh implementations.

The only good mesh implementation is one which uses the 5 GHz frequency as the mesh backbone and then 2.4 GHz to serve client connections. The reason this is recommended is because of how wireless operates. I can go into a whole discussion on why this is. But the proverbial TLDR response is, with mesh wireless, each hop (access point) you have to traverse to get to the wired LAN will divide your speed in half. If everything is using the same frequency which most likely will be 5 GHz as everyone is pushing 802.11ac, your latency is going to spike up too as you add more devices. Again, the TLDR, is wireless operates as a half duplex technology and only one device can talk over the frequency/channel at any given time.

I would sooner use powerline adapters or a MoCA implementation to place an AP in any dead spots for coverage over any consumer grade mesh technology any day. But being a tech nerd I would go one step further and bust up some drywall to pull the proper cabling.
I love my house was pre-wired for cat-5e. Same as you as a techie I like me some hard wired fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I love my house was pre-wired for cat-5e. Same as you as a techie I like me some hard wired fun.
My house is also wired with quite a few Cat5e drops. But wireless is really where things are moving toward. Had I thought ahead some with this house I'm in now and especially my vacation property, I would have done some projected heat maps on the houses to plan in ceiling locations to have wired drops ready for me to install access points. But I wasn't very knowledgeable about wireless as I am now when I had my primary residence built and I didn't have time to work through heat maps for my vacation property before it was built; plus the builder for the vacation property was charging way too much per drop.

Anyways, much of my time is spent on my laptop connected wirelessly; even though I have connectivity to my edge devices running at 1 GigE, quite a few connections between switches and servers on 10 GigE, and a couple of servers on 40 GigE.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #10
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
My house is also wired with quite a few Cat5e drops. But wireless is really where things are moving toward. Had I thought ahead some with this house I'm in now and especially my vacation property, I would have done some projected heat maps on the houses to plan in ceiling locations to have wired drops ready for me to install access points. But I wasn't very knowledgeable about wireless as I am now when I had my primary residence built and I didn't have time to work through heat maps for my vacation property before it was built; plus the builder for the vacation property was charging way too much per drop.

Anyways, much of my time is spent on my laptop connected wirelessly; even though I have connectivity to my edge devices running at 1 GigE, quite a few connections between switches and servers on 10 GigE, and a couple of servers on 40 GigE.
I utilize my wired connections and run 3 Apple AC routers which seamlessly pass the wireless signal.

They have been saying wifi will displace hard wires for about 20 years now.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #11
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I utilize my wired connections and run 3 Apple AC routers which seamlessly pass the wireless signal.
Do all routers seamlessly pass the wireless signal?

My house is pre-wired and I was planning to add another AP at the other end to boost signal and provide better exterior coverage.

Been lazy and haven't gotten around to doing it as yet, mostly because I don't know what the best approach is.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

My house is pre-wired and I was planning to add another AP at the other end to boost signal and provide better exterior coverage.

Been lazy and haven't gotten around to doing it as yet, mostly because I don't know what the best approach is.
Yes with the Apple Airport Extremes it does. I probably wouldn't recommend these as they are pricey but I'm sure others can do the same. Just all routers broadcast the same SSID and the clients generally go to the strongest.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Here's my soapbox on wireless roaming.

Just because you can set up multiple APs in a given area running the same SSID does not mean that you won't have roaming issues. The AP system has to have intelligence where each AP is aware of the other. What this means is the system will automatically select non overlapping channels for each AP so no one AP that is adjacent to another will be operating on the same channel; thereby preventing co-channel interference. A wireless system of this type will constantly monitor the surrounding RF space and make any necessary adjustment to the operating channels to keep the network from dealing with interference from neighboring RF sources. The below picture is showing an example of a 5 GHz deployment where co-channel interference is being managed:

The other thing the system will do is to adjust power output so no one AP is over powering another. This is counter intuitive to most lay people as they think an AP cranked all the way up to what it can output RF wise is best. No. This is not the case. It will cause roaming issues as the client device will start bouncing between APs. This picture is a predicted heat map of a wireless deployment I did for a non profit. Notice the red areas do not overlap which is where the signal from the APs are at its most intense.

The last part of a unified system is the ability for the wireless system to do band steering and to force the client to associate with the AP which has the best QoS available. Roaming algorithms for client devices are not that great and they also suffer from AP "stickiness" where the client will stay associated with the initial AP even as you walk away from it and signal strength is weak.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

No. All SOHO wireless routers are not made to work with other SOHO wireless routers in a unified wireless configuration; even if it's the same brand and model.

Because your house is prewired, I recommend systems from companies like Aerohive, Ubiquiti, Aruba Networks with their IAPs, and Meraki.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

They have been saying wifi will displace hard wires for about 20 years now.
Wireless is where everything is going. But wired will always have a place. With 802.11ac wave 2 and the additional channel space, theoretical wireless speeds are now at about 3.5 Gbps. While this may seem like wireless has leap frogged wired, this is not the case. Most home users only know that 1GigE is the fastest available. 10GigE is currently where 1GigE used to be in corporate networks and data centers. 25GigE is now starting to be the next cutting edge speed for many enterprise systems with 50GigE being the next step skipping over 40GigE (which never really took off in host device connectivity such as servers and storage). 100GigE is currently being rolled into data centers as back bone connections. All of the speeds I discussed above are now currently available.

As you can see from what I've said above, wireless has a long way to go before it is even in the ball park when compared to wired Ethernet with the gap widening as the standards are being worked out for 400GigE now.

Last edited by zx10guy; 02-17-2017 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #16
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

I love my Orbi.
Appreciate 0