03-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #67
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Hardly but if some character cannot respect the fact that another person has a long history with a specific brand of bikes that his opinion MAY hold some weight, wtf is the purpose of a forum?
OP already bought a bike anyways. Your argument was off topic anyways.

Let's see if you will continue to argue with me know
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #68
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
OP already bought a bike anyways. Your argument was off topic anyways.

Let's see if you will continue to argue with me know
How is discussing bikes in a thread about motorcycles off topic? Smh.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #69
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How is discussing bikes in a thread about motorcycles off topic? Smh.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #70
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
You sound jealous and intimidated by my proof I'm on another level of experience than you, fool! Clearly your feelings easily got hurt which explains your pointless, long-winded response. I tried to play nice. Now I won't. Your bs isn't gospel. Recommending an Italian bike, which is by nature, more quirky and more expensive to maintain is about the dumbest chit I've heard yet in this thread. The riding position. Cost of parts and lack of dealer network/support strengthens my point. Compare labor rates, genius! The kid needs an inexpensive bike that takes little effort to maintain and ride. Ducatis ARENT it! try changing a battery on a '14 Monster. Even master mechanics complain about the tolerances and complexity of doing basic work on Ducs. My experience with bikes over the span of my life doesn't make me fit to comment yet your dumb, unfounded recommendations do? Lmfao we can all agree, on a car forum that some cars may be more complex and expensive to work on, no? That theme is the same for bikes. Log off and read a book, idiot. Better yet, get some bikes first. You ever do work on a V-twin? Nope. I've been a member to several Duc forums and we can't all be wrong, and one blowhard such as yourself right.
Jealous of what? Since OP has bought his bike, I don't have to feel so bad about derailing his tread. So to clarify some of your BS points:
1) Labor rates: Most Ducati dealers are mixed with other brands of bikes, my local one being BMW, Triumph, Ducati and Indian. I'm sure they are charging much more for service rates from their Ducati customers because, well they are Italian.
2) Riding position? A monster 696 or 796 is about a relaxed as your mom on valium. I am beginning to question you even having rode a Monster. My wife doesn't look too committed:

3)I have changed a batter on my wife's bike, hasn't harder then my other bikes.

What do I know? I have been riding bikes for 25 years, including having owned Ducatis, other brand bikes, and wrenched on all of them. I currently own two nd have taken every piece of them apart.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #71
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

My honeymoon with my 848 ended when Ducati gave all of us with the Acerbis plastic fuel tanks the middle finger.

Outside of the fuel tank issue, I actually have had more issues with my 848 than my ZX-10R. In my opinion, Japanese bikes carry on that stereotype (maybe stereotype isn't the right word) of their Japanese car brethren....reliability. I've said a few times on topics of bikes that I would have an S1000RR over my Duc if I were to do it all over again. Not because of the various issues I've had with my 848. It's because of the fuel tank debacle and my riding style which is more aligned with inline 4s. The wider fuel tank just makes riding these bikes more comfortable for me than the narrow tanks of the 848/1098/1198. I did throw a leg over the newer Duc superbikes and found the wider tanks more to my liking. But that fuel tank situation.....
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #72
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
My honeymoon with my 848 ended when Ducati gave all of us with the Acerbis plastic fuel tanks the middle finger.

Outside of the fuel tank issue, I actually have had more issues with my 848 than my ZX-10R. In my opinion, Japanese bikes carry on that stereotype (maybe stereotype isn't the right word) of their Japanese car brethren....reliability. I've said a few times on topics of bikes that I would have an S1000RR over my Duc if I were to do it all over again. Not because of the various issues I've had with my 848. It's because of the fuel tank debacle and my riding style which is more aligned with inline 4s. The wider fuel tank just makes riding these bikes more comfortable for me than the narrow tanks of the 848/1098/1198. I did throw a leg over the newer Duc superbikes and found the wider tanks more to my liking. But that fuel tank situation.....
Same here, I have had issues on my Streetfighter 1098 with the fuel tank. Had the fix done, but just to come back again. Honestly, if I didn't love them I would leave them too. No other bike I've had has had as many issues as my SF1098. My older Ducs (1098, 999, 996 and 916) have all been very good. But i endure because, well, look forself.

But, the air cooled Monsters aren't the same as the Ducati super bikes. Their designs are tried and true. Very little issues to speak of.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 09:05 PM   #73
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
Jealous of what? Since OP has bought his bike, I don't have to feel so bad about derailing his tread. So to clarify some of your BS points:
1) Labor rates: Most Ducati dealers are mixed with other brands of bikes, my local one being BMW, Triumph, Ducati and Indian. I'm sure they are charging much more for service rates from their Ducati customers because, well they are Italian.

Being mixed, as you put it (LOL) with other brands fails to address why the labor rates are historically more expensive than Japanese bikes. Does Porsche charge more than Nissan? Of course they do. Your point is moot. Premium bikes, like cars charge premium prices for everything. Again... this destroys your notion that a Duc is a great bike for a beginner with little history of riding or repairing bikes. Next....

Quote:
2) Riding position? A monster 696 or 796 is about a relaxed as your mom on valium. I am beginning to question you even having rode a Monster. My wife doesn't look too committed:
Your wife has more miles on her than that bike. LOL A Duc has fast steering and it's an aggressive riding position for urban riding. Ask your wife, since she clearly wear the pants in your relationship.

Quote:
3)I have changed a batter on my wife's bike, hasn't harder then my other bikes.
I mean..at this point...what else are you going to say? Everything you say in basically conjecture anyway.

Quote:
What do I know? I have been riding bikes for 25 years, including having owned Ducatis, other brand bikes, and wrenched on all of them. I currently own two nd have taken every piece of them apart.

That's odd....me providing a little history of my knowledge of bikes over the course of my lifetime didn't matter that much to you not too long ago, yet you're here now doing the same thing. Again... you felt slighted i called out your asinine suggestion of the OP getting a Duc as his first bike and your feelings got hurt. Then you felt intimidated that someone might be more knowledgable than you on this topic...hence you forcing your old lady to sit on a Duc she never rides. LOL Insecure ass.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #74
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Being mixed, as you put it (LOL) with other brands fails to address why the labor rates are historically more expensive than Japanese bikes. Does Porsche charge more than Nissan? Of course they do. Your point is moot. Premium bikes, like cars charge premium prices for everything. Again... this destroys your notion that a Duc is a great bike for a beginner with little history of riding or repairing bikes. Next....

Your wife has more miles on her than that bike. LOL A Duc has fast steering and it's an aggressive riding position for urban riding. Ask your wife, since she clearly wear the pants in your relationship.

I mean..at this point...what else are you going to say? Everything you say in basically conjecture anyway.

That's odd....me providing a little history of my knowledge of bikes over the course of my lifetime didn't matter that much to you not too long ago, yet you're here now doing the same thing. Again... you felt slighted i called out your asinine suggestion of the OP getting a Duc as his first bike and your feelings got hurt. Then you felt intimidated that someone might be more knowledgable than you on this topic...hence you forcing your old lady to sit on a Duc she never rides. LOL Insecure ass.
You sound like a broken record with nothing to back it up. No facts, just BS. Good job at making yourself look like a bigger moron.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #75
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You sound like a broken record with nothing to back it up. No facts, just BS. Good job at making yourself look like a bigger moron.

Naming calling by an old, bitter, washed up, weekend warrior who posts stupid pictures of his wife who probably has more laundry laying on her bike than she has riding time.

FACTS:

Ducs are expensive to maintain and can be quirky bikes and have a limited network of dealers.

I've been riding bikes since the late 80's and owned dozens.

I currently own 3 bikes covering a broad range of styles, riding positions and purposes.

The general consensus amongst Duc owners is that they are a labor of love.
Appreciate 1
to_riffic3010.00
      03-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #76
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 11:43 PM   #77
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Where did you buy from?
I ended up getting it from a private sale. It was an older gentlemen that now has a wife and two little kids. He didn't have time to ride it so he sold it. I'm really lucky I got a mature seller. The bike is completely stock expect a twin brother exhaust which sounds peerfect.

Here is a quick photo from the ad
Appreciate 1
to_riffic3010.00
      03-19-2017, 11:49 PM   #78
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
I ended up getting it from a private sale. It was an older gentlemen that now has a wife and two little kids. He didn't have time to ride it so he sold it. I'm really lucky I got a mature seller. The bike is completely stock expect a twin brother exhaust which sounds peerfect.

Wow that is nice! Love that color. I was lucky enough to ride that same bike brand new home. Same year same color for my ex. I had a 06 white and blue at the time.

Enjoy there are some nice back roads around Washington. Make sure you do a Mount St. Helens ride. Ride the back side not to the observatory side.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:19 AM   #79
Project Elite
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30

Very nice OP, the 08 GSXR 600 was my first bike as well. Great choice!

I never actually rode a 250 on the street for a day before, but I picked up a CBR 250r last week for a friend and rode it back home for about 10 miles. My God that thing has no power... it's fine for streets but terrible for freeway. By the time I hit 70 MPH, the bike was shaking so much it gave my ass the tingly feeling. I practically full throttled all the way back and it was struggling to maintain 80 MPH.

However, 600cc are dangerous bikes. I crashed mine within the week due to a combination of inexperience, panick, and overconfidence. My last accident totalled my R6 because yet once again, I got too confident in myself and was knee dragging on the streets. Keep this in mind - ride like you want to go home. Meaning don't get too hot headed or confident and take unnecessary risks.

On a side note, I got two CBR600RR now and I ride conservatively because I want to go home.

Good luck & ride safe.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5706.00
      03-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #80
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Same here, I have had issues on my Streetfighter 1098 with the fuel tank. Had the fix done, but just to come back again. Honestly, if I didn't love them I would leave them too. No other bike I've had has had as many issues as my SF1098. My older Ducs (1098, 999, 996 and 916) have all been very good. But i endure because, well, look forself.

But, the air cooled Monsters aren't the same as the Ducati super bikes. Their designs are tried and true. Very little issues to speak of.
I don't know if you're aware of the full details of "tankgate". Ducati's fix for the issue was to make the replacement tanks slightly smaller to allow for the inevitable expansion of the plastics due to the ethanol in our US fuels attacking it. Doesn't sound like a fix to me. So as in your case, you've experienced multiple failures because Ducati hasn't fixed the issue. There were those of us asking Ducati through our dealers about getting the aluminum performance tanks instead of taking on the same defective replacement tanks. Ducati said no despite those of us saying we would paint the tanks on our own dime. The price of the performance tank was the same as the plastic one at the time. Ducati changed the pricing later to make the performance tank more expensive so we couldn't argue the tanks would be an equivalent cost option.

The only solution to fix this problem is to have the inside of the tank epoxy coated. I had mine done by a shop that does the Caswell epoxy coating. Ducati didn't reimburse me for this.

While I can see why Ducati's have a cult following, there are alternatives that can provide the same level (if not more) riding experience. I'm sold on the S1000RR because I have experience pushing my limits on it in a track situation. The moment I knew this bike is something special was when I was powering out of last corner going into the front straight at VIR's north course. The back end slid out and the bike imparted so much confidence in me that I stayed on the power. A buddy of mine was behind me when I was doing this and said I laid down a nice strip spinning up the rear.
Appreciate 2
to_riffic3010.00
Viffermike1753.00
      03-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #81
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

I had a piped and tuned 07 x-moto that I loved. Looking for another motard now
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #82
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelr View Post
I had a piped and tuned 07 x-moto that I loved. Looking for another motard now
Yeah, I thought about suggesting one of these, but they're generally not great for street riding for more than 20-30 miles at a time. Great first bike? Definitely. But their usefulness is quite limited unless you own another bike.

My 2 cents on the Duc-ownership issue bandied about before this: Maintenance labor on most European bikes is more expensive, and has been for a long while. For Ducs in particular, maintenance frequency is also generally higher. It's one thing to mitigate both of these things by doing your own maintenance. It's quite another for a (relatively) new bike rider to feel obligated to have to do that. So, basically: the point of view of a new bike owner is almost certainly going to be miles different than biker vets such as the ones who debated all of this above. Very little of the arguing benefited the OP in this regard.

Speaking of the OP's choice ... just so you know: tip that Gixxer over to the left at a standstill and you're looking at at least $1,500 in repairs. Tip it over to the right and that'll go up to well above $2k because of that Two Brothers Racing can. Just be prepared for that; it's the downside to all of that fairingwork and exotic metal this-and-that. It will happen. It does to every rider. It's a rite of passage ...

... and by comparison: if you'd bought a half-faired bike that repair cost would have been halved, and if you'd bought a naked bike it would have gone down even more.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      03-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #83
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Yeah, I thought about suggesting one of these, but they're generally not great for street riding for more than 20-30 miles at a time. Great first bike? Definitely. But their usefulness is quite limited unless you own another bike.
Never had an issue riding 200 miles a day and using it to commute...to each their own.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      03-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #84
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

OP will never lay his bike over. Be smart,ride slow,take your class on their 250cc,practice as much as possible, and don't be stupid

People say there are two kinds of riders.....the ones that have laid down a bike and the ones that will. So just always be the one that will
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #85
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
People say there are two kinds of riders.....the ones that have laid down a bike and the ones that will. So just always be the one that will
Even if you're being sarcastic, that's not funny at all.

That's about as unwise a statement as I've ever read from a motorcyclist. Please recant. That axiom exists for a reason: because it's true. Don't confuse those relatively new to the hobby, man.

I'm smart. I rode smart. I took riders-ed class and aced it -- twice, for good measure. First time I dropped my bike was six months in, while doing a U-turn at about 3 mph. It happens. And any rider needs to be prepared for the inevitability ... because it's not always you who tips the bike over (Second time for me: At a weekly bike gathering, by someone else dismounting the bike next to mine.)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #86
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Even if you're being sarcastic, that's not funny at all.

That's about as unwise a statement as I've ever read from a motorcyclist. Please recant. That axiom exists for a reason: because it's true. Don't confuse those relatively new to the hobby, man.

I'm smart. I rode smart. I took riders-ed class and aced it -- twice, for good measure. First time I dropped my bike was six months in, while doing a U-turn at about 3 mph. It happens. And any rider needs to be prepared for the inevitability ... because it's not always you who tips the bike over (Second time for me: At a weekly bike gathering, by someone else.)
Calm down its just something people have said to me over the years. I dropped my brand new bike about a month into owning it. I grabbed to much front brake a low speed and it pulled the bike down. I was lucky it was super slow and I was able to pick the bike up before it fell all the way on the ground. It scrapped the exhaust pipe and it the bottom of the case.

Recant
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      03-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #87
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post

Nice bike, did you get a good deal on it? One riding buddy got lucky last summer and got 13 R6 for like 6k.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #88
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

My 2 cents on the Duc-ownership issue bandied about before this: Maintenance labor on most European bikes is more expensive, and has been for a long while. For Ducs in particular, maintenance frequency is also generally higher. It's one thing to mitigate both of these things by doing your own maintenance. It's quite another for a (relatively) new bike rider to feel obligated to have to do that. So, basically: the point of view of a new bike owner is almost certainly going to be miles different than biker vets such as the ones who debated all of this above. Very little of the arguing benefited the OP in this regard.

Speaking of the OP's choice ... just so you know: tip that Gixxer over to the left at a standstill and you're looking at at least $1,500 in repairs. Tip it over to the right and that'll go up to well above $2k because of that Two Brothers Racing can. Just be prepared for that; it's the downside to all of that fairingwork and exotic metal this-and-that. It will happen. It does to every rider. It's a rite of passage ...

... and by comparison: if you'd bought a half-faired bike that repair cost would have been halved, and if you'd bought a naked bike it would have gone down even more.
One thing I've done is put sliders on my bikes when there is an option. On my ZX-10R, I have no cut sliders along with swing arm spools used for a rear stand in addition to being a slider. On my 848, I have sliders on both axles, handle bar ends, and under the fairing. The sliders are not really meant to save all the fairings but to try to keep the more critical/expensive parts from hitting the ground. There are also hardened covers/sliders that go over or replace areas like the stock clutch housing. I would look into those things as my first mod.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00