Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

"Refinement

This is the one area where the BMW X5 fails to impress. Its door mirrors generate quite a bit of wind disturbance, and road noise is an ever-present companion on motorways and fast A-roads. To make matters worse, the diesel engines transmit too much vibration into the cabin - particularly when you accelerate hard. At least the eight-speed automatic gearbox is smooth."

^ This is the first of literally dozens of reviews of the F15 that mention the vehicle suffers from road noise (which I hope isn't the case as I cannot stand loud vehicles).

In fact most reviews I have seen specifically say the exact opposite.

Granted the review model was an oil burner but I cannot imagine its that much worse than the gas mills.

Anyone experienced road noise yet?

Last edited by NikonMan; 11-27-2013 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

These fools reviewing the X5 can't even get their stories to jive ...

First they say:

"Although the cabin is smart, quality isn't the best in its class."

Then they say:

"The cabin .... (is) still effortlessly classy and build quality is superb."

So which is it?

I'll pass on this review, thanks ....
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I must admit I'm a bit baffled by that comment. Maybe the test cars door seals had come loose

I specifically listened for road noise at 70 (ish) MPH on a motorway/highway, and didn't notice any. WC used a dB meter to measure the road noise:

30mph - 60.6 dB
70mph - 67.6 dB

The RRS posted 59.8 and 66.9 respectively. Not much difference, and that's supposed to be best in class?!?

I get the feeling there is a fair amount of patriotism involved when UK mags compare German cars with UK built ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Edmunds had this to say:

"Drag has been reduced, too, the coefficient of the slimmest-wheeled version dropping from 0.34 to 0.31.

The toughest mission, however, was to tackle criticisms of the outgoing model's ride and refinement. Reducing noise transmission via the front bulkhead, the glass and the wheel housings has cut noise levels by a useful 2.5dB average across the range, while new seats similar to those in the 7 Series sedan have quelled vibration.

There are numerous changes to the suspension which has been reworked to smother small bumps more effectively. This has been achieved, says BMW, by changing the front suspension geometry, relocating the lower spring pans to sit closer to the axle and improving bump-stop progression. The springs are softer, too, and the dampers have been recalibrated to suit. The rear axle gets the same spring, damper and bump-stop mods, although its geometry remains the same. Most significant of all — though not necessarily beneficial from the driver enjoyment perspective — is a switch from hydraulically assisted steering to the electric variety."

Sounds like BMW used laminated glass and additional sound deadening materials ...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan View Post
Edmunds had this to say:

"Drag has been reduced, too, the coefficient of the slimmest-wheeled version dropping from 0.34 to 0.31.

The toughest mission, however, was to tackle criticisms of the outgoing model's ride and refinement. Reducing noise transmission via the front bulkhead, the glass and the wheel housings has cut noise levels by a useful 2.5dB average across the range, while new seats similar to those in the 7 Series sedan have quelled vibration.

There are numerous changes to the suspension which has been reworked to smother small bumps more effectively. This has been achieved, says BMW, by changing the front suspension geometry, relocating the lower spring pans to sit closer to the axle and improving bump-stop progression. The springs are softer, too, and the dampers have been recalibrated to suit. The rear axle gets the same spring, damper and bump-stop mods, although its geometry remains the same. Most significant of all — though not necessarily beneficial from the driver enjoyment perspective — is a switch from hydraulically assisted steering to the electric variety."

Sounds like BMW used laminated glass and additional sound deadening materials ...
TopGear said this:

"What about the way it drives?

It's noticeably smoother there, too. The BMW engineers reckon they have lowered in-car noise by 2.5dB, and it sounds like it. There's very little wind, road or suspension noise now."
Appreciate 0