BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #1
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

Active Steering vs. Parking Assistant

Hello everyone, still fine tuning the options I plan to order on my 50i. Thanks to this forum and your excellent comments, I am opting for DHP. I was initially planned to order the Parking Assistant (5DP). According to the pricing guide, Active Steering (217) cannot be ordered with 5DP. I live in North Florida and rarely find the need to parallel park. Last night I stumbled on a You Tube video illustrating the features and benefits of Active Steering and now I am torn. Yes, I performed my research, including the thread on Active Steering started by greydout on 4/30/15 and MattBianco's survey indicating it does not have the highest rating and few have the option and I see that some love it and some are lukewarm about it. If you had to choose between Parking Assistant or Active Steering (realizing Active Steering is $1,050 more) which would you choose and why?
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d

I do not have either of those as the electric power steering is lighter than the previous model. The park assist would be the option to choose for me, but with surround view I do not feel I miss out on anything so I choose other options, none of which I regret, it's almost fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc
Hello everyone, still fine tuning the options I plan to order on my 50i. Thanks to this forum and your excellent comments, I am opting for DHP. I was initially planned to order the Parking Assistant (5DP). According to the pricing guide, Active Steering (217) cannot be ordered with 5DP. I live in North Florida and rarely find the need to parallel park. Last night I stumbled on a You Tube video illustrating the features and benefits of Active Steering and now I am torn. Yes, I performed my research, including the thread on Active Steering started by greydout on 4/30/15 and MattBianco's survey indicating it does not have the highest rating and few have the option and I see that some love it and some are lukewarm about it. If you had to choose between Parking Assistant or Active Steering (realizing Active Steering is $1,050 more) which would you choose and why?
AS all the way!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
Gh0st0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: soon

I went off this link, doesn't seem it's worth the upgrade

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t..._steering.html
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:34 AM   #5
Zopal
Rep
Drives: X5

Hi,

I have 50i and had the same decision point. On my previous car I already had Active Steering.
The two system is totally different from the technical point of view. There is an electrical power steering and there is Active Steering with oil power. It is almost impossible to switch between the two after the production.

The electrical steering can turn the wheel, the oil based one with Active Steering can not.
This means you are not only loose the Parking Assistant, but the Traffic Jam Assistant as well.
On the other hand the handling of the wheel MUCH better with Active Steering. You get more feedback and you don't need to turn the wheel that much. ( the electrical one is like driving a truck )

I would strongly recommend you to try both before you buy the car.

My personal opinion: I had selected Active Steering at the end, for me handling was a preference over features. It's simply a way better for me to drive a car with Active Steering. Especially after I had driven X5 with both steering after each other.
I would never use Parking assistant, it requires 80 cm additional space, for me parallel parking is not a problem at all. I can park much more faster and easier with Active Steering.
Traffic Jam Assistant is a bit different story, it would be nice to have. The difference from Stop&Go (which I have), that it can make the steering as well at low speed on highways. I miss it a bit, but I use the wheel all the time and rarely would use TJA.

Last edited by Zopal; 08-20-2015 at 03:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #6
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

I didn't even know Traffic Jam Assistant (TJA) even existed until I read Zopal's post! Then I see the Traffic Jam Assistant thread pop up. That tread started in 2013 and was very informative and entertaining (EU001939's post at #94 was very funny). Sadly, it looks like TJA is not available in the U.S. I see some are tying to get it to work but I am not sure there is much success. Thus, I am back to my dilemma: Parking Assistant (5DP) or Active Steering (217). I am leaning toward AS since that I would use every time I drive the X5 and Parking Assistant I would only use on those rare occasions where I actually have to parallel park. Thanks to all for your informative posts.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #7
cretanu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M 5.0d

Take AS! I have PA for 6 month and I used it 3 times just to show it to friends...is too slow and I can park far better with the surrounding cameras. On the other hand the electric steering is the only thing I don't like to this amazing car!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:31 PM   #8
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Check out the survey in my signature line (viewable on laptop/desktop). You can see how owners who have them feel about them.
      08-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Active Steering is the Answer! Who needs Parking Assistant? If you're a Good Driver you'll never need Parking assistant!
Appreciate 0